Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage conversion

Options
  • 15-03-2022 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Looking for advice please.My garage is 23 ft x 20ft, has a concrete floor construction, made of blocks and plastered on outside, tiled roof with beams exposed, roller door, regular door and 1 window, water & electricity connection. I want to convert it to rent it out. Do I need a contractor or individual trades people? I cannot do any of the work myself due to no skills or knowledge. I would need to replace roller door with patio door, insulation, inside plastering, more sockets & lighting, tiling, painting etc. Am I allowed to rent it out ? Do I need planning permission?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Id go contractor. Less hassle for yourself. One thing i wouldnt skimp on is insulation. That includes the floor. It wont be cheap but will be worth it in the long run especially with esb prices going mental.

Its a handy enough job for someome to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hello2021

Thank you. Any idea of pricing for materials and labour work ? I will try to keep costs low to decorate ie lino instead of tiles, source 2nd hand goods and materials where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

You should get a Builder to do it.

First you should retain a Registered Building Surveyor or a Chartered Building Surveyor or Chartered Building Engineer to give you advice and they retain the Builder for you on your behalf, when the have agreed the all the works that are to be completed, and the cost of same before the works commence.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hello2021

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

You definitely need planning permission - this should be your first step as it may bomb your plan altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Oh forgot to mention if you're on a domestic waste water treatment system you'd need to ensure that it has sufficient capacity for the additional loading as well.

Advertisement