Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assessment of needs suggested

Options
  • 04-03-2022 10:50pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Our son turned 4 in January. This week, I noticed a girl in my son's preschool acting negatively towards my son when they met just before preschool. The following day, I spoke to one of the teachers who said that they were going to call us in for a chat about our son. 

They were saying that he really doesn't interact with other kids much unless there is adult supervision and that he should be much better at this age. He would be happier playing by himself with shapes, numbers, dinosaurs or planets etc. He doesn't really know how to play with other kids when they are all around a take and he doesn't play make-believe with them (even though he does with us at home a great deal). She said an AON might be a good idea just to see if they see something they don't. They would come into the preschool and observe him.

He is exceptionally bright, has an incredible memory - a sponge for information. Interested in several topics, curious about others. Plays really well with kids in open-air environments, actively looking for new friends to play with when he gets to the park. 

All his life, he seems to be just behind with milestones and then BOOM he leaps ahead. He only had "mama" at 2 years, and at 2 years one month, he had avocado, grapefruit, banana, car, train etc. Same with his movement...he wasn't rolling at 7 months, did it 18 times in a row at 8 months one random night. Not walking at 13 months, flying it at 14 months. 

Long story short, we are a little concerned at the idea of going for an AON now when he could easily start to excel at social interaction in the next month or so (given his record). Is there anything binding about it - eg if he is diagnosed with a particular disability/disorder, can that be revised later on further examination? On the other side, we are also mindful of delaying him help. I just don't want someone to watch him for a few hours in one setting and make a diagnosis without seeing how he is outdoors and at home.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

To my understanding, it won't just be that.

It would be 5 assessment sessions, I think, one would be observation in the preschool.Those who know better than me will be able to tell you more, but I think there is a play therapy session and 3 other types of session.A diagnosis may then be made based on the results.

I can't really comment on your son's behaviour, but it sounds as though the preschool have seen signs of something they feel should be investigated.There's nothing binding about it, and it's not just social interaction.From what I know, the earlier the assessment happens the better, because the earlier support can be given if it is needed.

As I said I am sure there are others here who could advise you more, but as I understand it, that's how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

My boy went through the AON over a year ago under the old system which has now been replaced with a new much less thorough process that the HSE were challenged about in the high court and lost their case. So it’s all up in the air for now.

I don’t know what else to say but it doesn’t sound like your boy would need to be in a special class or anything. Maybe ASIam would be worth contacting. They’d know the story.

Advertisement