Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car licenses

Options
  • 17-03-2022 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

What year did the law change, restricting car licenses to 3.5 tonnes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Miscreant

It has been in place since as far back as my first license and I got mine in 1996.

How much further back do you need to go? Friends of my mother have a camper and they had to get one less than 3.5 tonnes because of their B license. These people are much older than me and had their licenses from the 1970s.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I have a vague recollection that, when they reviewed the license system (in the late 1980's I think) they removed categories by default but you could retain them if you appealed or furnished a medical certificate or something like that. A lot of people who previously had a heavy van/light truck license (now category C1) just didn't bother as they mainly drove cars.

Even under the new system, some people baulked at having to do a medical. I was in the queue in the old tax office in Chancery Place years ago and a man in front of me was renewing his license. The official said he'd have to present a medical to retain the truck and bus categories but he said he wasn't willing to spend the money so they renewed it with just a category B. Madness on his part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Just renewed the licence and they took away a load of categories like buses and trucks off the licence. Can't say as I noticed them and didn't reapply for them

Advertisement