Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Pump Electricity Plan

Options
  • 15-03-2022 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

Hi Folks, recently got my Heat Pump installed. The comfort level has been quadrupled so everyone is happy but it does guzzle energy.

Wondering what plans people are on ? Night rate is of little help. To add complexity to the mix Im adding a Phev car to the household.

Electric Ireland does have a Free electricity on Saturdays or Sundays Plan which might suit. Electricity unit price is 24.07c per kWh at all other times.

Any input would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

If you can shift enough load to night rate, Energia EV plan is very competitive (particularly as prices are fixed for the entire year).

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

Thanks, it would suit the cars but might not be great for the Heat Pump.. It also states 'Above 3,000kwh day usage and 2,000kwh night usage every two months you will be charged at the higher rate indicated' although can't find the rate,,

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Does your current usage exceed this?

I don't think so, current taking daily reads for a 2 week period to get a feel for what would be best,,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Night rate is of little help.

why do you say that?

You have a heat pump and you are adding a PHEV (which will likely charge every night). You absolutely need night rate, its half the price! ;)

The HP will run during the day as well but you only need to use a few units at night to make it worthwhile even with the increased standing charge and 1.5c/kWh extra day rate.

After that its simply a case of picking the cheapest supplier and the likes of bonkers.ie is your friend there. Plug in your values and it will tell you who is the cheapest overall and thats what you go with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

How much electricity is your heat pump using?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You'll absolutely benefit from a night rate as the heat pump works harder at night to keep the house warm

Try to get an idea of you potential night and day consumption and use a site like bonkers to find the best plan

If you'd like a point of comparison, I'm in a 4 bed A3 rated house with heat pump, electric cooking and 2 EVs

We're consuming around 12,000kWh per year (bit higher than the CRU estimate of 3,500 😁) and roughly 40% of that is at night

For the Energia plan to work you need to be at least 50% at night, so depending on how rates are later this year we might change off of it

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭munsterfan2

Still trying to figure out my heat pump usage, but for February it says it used 422 units, split as follows according to data pulled from pump

Daytime Use - 154 kw = €36.38 (this doesnt take into account power generated by solar)

Night time use 135 units = €16.37

Night time boost (2am-4am) use 132 units = €8.65

I have hot water set to be on from2am to 6pm, so evening showers after sports etc come from tank which gets reheated on boost rate (6.5c) instead of day rate (23.5c)

The 422kw of power consumption output 2196kw of heat for a COP of 5.2, split 410 hot water & 1786 heating.

Some great info here.. Have done my sums and my heat pump is pulling an average of 30kwh a day at the moment. Currently the way its set up it only runs for a couple of hours at night for the hot water and a couple of hours while getting up. All other time is during the day to keep the house topped up when it drops below the set point. Most usage is during the day so i wouldn't benefit from the night rate here.

Wondering why other folks are using their Heat Pump more at night ?

Looking at the car though its probably a no brainer to charge at night looking at the rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Mine tends to run a fair bit at night because I've the temperature set a bit higher upstairs to keep all the bedrooms warm

I find I don't need it as much during the day because it's just that bit warmer

I must dig out my energy monitor again to actually track it's usage over the next while

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭munsterfan2

Yes, A Watterkotte EcoTouch A1 Geo 7.6KW with horizontal ground collector, COP was 5.9 in November, dropping slightly each month at input source temperature dropped

Advertisement