Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Public Sector Promotions

Options
  • 16-03-2022 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, just a couple of quick queries on promotions in the public sector.

If you skipped point 4 on the CO scale, should you also skip point 4 on the grade directly above it? I've seen circulars on this saying that executive officers also skip pt 4 and 8, but my question is should I go to point 4 on the EO scale if I've skipped it on the CO scale?

I have been acting in the grade I'm getting permanently appointed for the last 2 years...is my increment date now going to be my increment date I started in the public sector or the date I was appointed when I was acting or the date I'm now getting appointed permanently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

Following this with interest. I'm a newly appointed EO in the CS. I have skipped Point 4 on the CO Scale (I was at point 6 when promoted). Hoping that I can skip Point 4 again, and then I will have skipped my two points and won't expect any more skipping.

I do know that my new increment date is the date I was appointed as EO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Davey1992

Thanks, were you acting beforehand by any chance? Or did you just get a straight up promotion?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

From the frequently asked questions:

"7. What happens if a new entrant has been promoted from one new entrant grade to another? For Example CO to EO? If the new entrant is still on a new entrant grade they qualify for the measure subject to 1.2 of PER Circular 04/2020."

"1.2 Qualifying direct entry grades are those that were affected by Circular 18/2010, as amended by Circular 02/2014. "

So the answer to the question is yes, if promoted from CO to EO and only skipped once to date, you skip a second time.

EDIT: Actually think the reference to 1.2 is incorrect, it should be to 2.1

"Employees who have been promoted from one new entrant grade to another new entrant grade will be eligible for the additional increments based on the extent of time spent on points 1 and 2 on either of these new entrant grades."

Thanks, this bit is a little confusing to me.

"Employees who have been promoted from one new entrant grade to another new entrant grade will be eligible for the additional increments based on the extent of time spent on points 1 and 2 on either of these new entrant grades."

I think I was on point 7 of CO now and am currently on point 4 of EO which I've just been made permanent in.

The bit I've bolded there I have no idea what they mean by. All I know is that I've been promoted between the two entrant grades and skipped pt 4 on the CO scale. Any circular I have read on whether you get to skip pt 4 again seems to be very vague and open to interpretation....

I plan to chase it up with HR but would like to kind of have something definitive to point to before I go to them.

Thanks for your assistance anyway.

On the incremental date issue, Circular 8/2019 applies:

"1.3 The date of promotion becomes the officer's incremental date"

I can't find the civil service circular (either online or in my own collection) on acting allowances and how it would apply, but the ETB one doesn't appear to deal with the issue either.

• Advertisement

That means the amount of time you spent on point 1 or 2 of the CO grade.

So I would have spent a year on each of these, does this mean that I should now be skipping pt 4 of EO grade?

Thanks, will chase it up with HR shortly and let you know how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vologda69

You cannot benifit twice under this measure. If you skipped point 4 already on another scale, then you will only benefit when you reach point 8 of EO scale, which you will skip.

• Advertisement

No, it was a straight promotion. I was on Point 6 of the CO Scale, going 1,2,3, 5, 6. Then moved over to the EO Scale, where I THINK I am starting on Point 2, because if I went to Point 1, I would be out of pocket later this year, when the CO increment expected would have been higher than Point 1 on the EO Scale.

I can't find any circular to support that though. The only circulars I find tend to say that you can also avail of the skipped points if you get promoted between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭billyhead

Does anyone know if say your at an AP grade and decide to apply for an EO position in open competition and you are successful do you start at the first point of the scale because it's an open competition or do you go on the max point of the scale because you're earnings as an AP would have been far higher than the max EO scale?

I'm looking at a circular now - to me it suggests that those promoted, if they go in at Point 1 or Point 2 of their promotional scale WILL benefit from the skipped points:

Eligible employees  Employees hired on point 1 of a new entrant payscale post 2011, will benefit as outlined under 1.3.  Employees who have been promoted from one new entrant grade to another new entrant grade will be eligible for the additional increments based on the extent of time spent on points 1 and 2 on either of these new entrant grades.  Those who were recruited post 1 January 2011 and were awarded incremental credit qualify as new entrants as they would have started higher up the payscale had the original new entrant measure not been introduced

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vologda69

see Faqs section outlining scenarios. One will not benefit twice moving from CO to EO, but will get their second skip if they didnt get it while CO (i.e. at point 8 of EO scale)

Advertisement