Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land Transfer- Tax Implications

Options
  • 15-03-2022 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for some feedback from anyone who has recently gone through the process of inheriting land from their parents.

My dad has recently started the process of transferring the ownership of his land to me. I've talked to a few different accountants and an auctioneer and got different feedback on the overall bill i will be facing at the end of the process and at this stage I'm getting bamboozled by the whole thing.

On the issue of Stamp Duty I'll qualify for the 1% rate via Consanguinity relief. But I'm just trying to figure out the Capital Aquisition Tax implications. The home farm is due to be transferred from my dad to me but the value would be over the 335k threshold. One guy told me i would be paying CAT at a rate of 33% on every cent over this valuation which wouldnt be long running into a nice bit of money. However on reading the info on revenue.ie i would qualify for either Agricultural Relief or Business Relief which reduces the taxable value of the property by 90%. I'm trying to figure out where this 90% relief kicks in in relation to the 335k threshold. My wife and I also have our own house built on this block of land.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Comments

Advertisement