Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking advice on career move (software engineer)

Options
  • 14-03-2022 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Heya...

Due to few issues with my current job, I am looking for a new role. I am a very experienced software engineer, working as a Technical Lead.

I have been offered a similar role, with higher salary (about +10%) plus some more benefits, in a medium size company (current is small size) with a great potential to get much bigger, therefore, me getting higher positions as it grows.

However I am skeptic cause the technology stack I am working all these years, which I consider myself an expert, is different than the one I am called to work. The company knows that, and they willing to teach me, but I am not sure if I should do it...

The stack I am currently working is Microsoft and it is very popular for jobs in Ireland. The new company works with Ruby on Rails, which is not so popular, and maybe this is one of they reasons they picked me on the first place, as I said, I am willing to join them and learn.

I am not sure how important is it, as I am moving towards managerial roles, where specific knowledge in programming languages and technology stacks is not my day-to-day work, but I would like to know your opinion if this is a bad move or not.

Comments

Microsoft to Ruby on Rails is a pretty significant change for sure. It seems like Ruby on Rails is growing here in Ireland, and it's been pretty popular elsewhere for quite a while. It may be a pretty different way of development from what you're used to, and certainly worth learning for some perspective at the very least, especially if they are willing to teach you. If you're looking at managerial roles a few years down the line, IMO, getting exposed to a different tech stack would be a good thing, assuming you're happy otherwise with the new company's salary/benefits/location/office culture etc and feel like there is a better growth potential from your current workplace.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Moving between languages is part and parcel of Engineering work, but mostly it is done outside work. That the company is willing to help you transition is a positive as it shows they are willing to invest in your career skills and from my experience that is fairly rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Consider where you want to be in 5 yrs and see which company can get you there.

In a smaller place often you might be blocked by people ahead of you unless they move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

One of the reasons I want to move is this. I am reporting directly to CTO and there is no room above him. Also, he is ~20y with the owner (CEO) therefore I don't see him leaving anytime soon. So, the question is not if I should leave, but if this certain move is the right one, or I should keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If you move higher you have to be stack agnostic won't you? Would it be good to have this on your CV going forward? I say this not from personal experience but from listening to others. Those are questions btw.

• Advertisement

It sound like you are ready to move and no one here can tell you if its the right move or not.

I personally don't like Ruby. I did a lot of Perl in the past and tried Ruby because I was told it's like Perl++ but I didnt like the feel of it. Im now a Python enthusiast.

I have moved companies alot and sometimes its the people you work with that make the job worthwhile, not the job its self.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The question should be how good are you going to be as a manager, if that is where you want to be. The skill set required is very different to that required to be a good techie. It requires people skills and political skills if you want to advance beyond a team lead or a first level management position.

If you are confident you can cut it as a manager and make the advances you want to achieve, then it does not matter what your last technical stack will be. On the other hand if you don't make the cut and have to fall back on your technical skills then it could make all the difference.

Advertisement