Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on job situation and progression

Options
  • 15-03-2022 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hello,

1. I work in IT as a project manager for an American company for the last 2 years based in Dublin and making good money.
    2. The culture of the company is great and I find it hard to fault the place (apart from the below but the pros far outweigh the cons)
    3. It's a small enough company so not many internal opportunities to change focus or progress
    4. My manager does the good old middle management thing of appeasing me so when I tell him I want to progress and require feedback to reach my goal of becoming a manager myself, he tells me that it will happen eventually to keep me on his side - Mañana, Mañana. I told him that I might consider interviewing for managerial positions outside of his team and internal to the company last year but he told me not to and that he would promote me to a manager but that does not seem to be happening.
    5. With COVID etc - we haven't had performance reviews in a while but in my first proper one he didn't acknowledge my accomplishments or justify the below average rating he gave me. I always deliver on my projects and have a really good reputation. He seems to be hiring in managers from the outside also and I feel like he might hire one above me, rather than promote me which he promised. I am a bit disappointed in him overall.

There are a few things I can do:

1. Do nothing - I think this is not an option and I might fall into stress/burnout territory as it's harder to get out of bed each day. I feel like because the culture is good and the money is good I have a strong case of the golden handcuffs.
    2. Confront him about appeasing me - Overall he is a nice man/person (maybe just a crappy manager?) and I don't think he would retaliate but you never know with American companies.
    3. Tell him I want to interview outside my team but stay inside the company
    4. Do either 2 or 3 but also interview and start looking external to the company

Any advice/thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks,

K

Post edited by irishguy1012 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭backwards_man

Do you need to tell him about 3? Is he American?

If I were you I would be looking around just to see what is out there. I would ask about the below avg rating in your next 1-1, its important he clarifies why you got that rating. If you are regularly meeting through out the year the end of year eval should not have any surprises. Not sure how you have completed the end of year eval process and you do not know why you got that rating. If he is not happy with your work he is not going to promote you and a below avg rating will not entice other departments to hire you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 irishguy1012

Thanks for your reply.

• Yes - he is American. It is a small company so I would need to tell him if I was searching internally. My chances of any progression inside my own team would be shot then but I'd rather be moving forward than staying stuck here.
    • It is another sign of poor management that he didn't set the expectation with me either about the score I got. I didn't ask him either throughout the last year but TBH I thought I was doing everything correctly. (This won't happen again) . I also do loads of stuff I shouldn't do which I never ask for credit for. (This won't happen again either)
    • He never gives me area for development either and I am always open to feedback. I think I am not high on his priority list tbh,
    • TBH the company changed how we were all rated recently and he in himself is not happy with the rating he got I think. I know lots of people outside my team were unhappy also.

It's such a complex situation. I don't really know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭TheShepard

Hard to know what to do OP but if it was me I would try and progress elsewhere. Then again it's easy for me to say as I'm not in that situation.

If you are confident that you can move forward elsewhere then I think it's a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 irishguy1012

Thanks. The culture of the company is great, the pay is good and am overall happy. It's the golden handcuffs that are keeping me from doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think you should trust your instincts.

Do some test interviews externally. See what offers you get. Get your CV in shape. See what qualifications, certs, masters etc. are in demand and go get them. If your managers leaves. The next guy will compare you directly against the new hires with no consideration of past work, and domain knowledge. If it becomes very clear that you are being passed over, then you've got the CV ready. TBH refreshing the CV and skillset might give you better options where you are too. So if internally another opportunity comes up, you're ready for that too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement