Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations 2022 - England v Ireland, 12/03/22, KO 4.45pm - RTÉ2, RTÉ Player, ITV1, ITV Hub

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

If the next scrum we face does it is hope the officials call it. We haven’t been minced like that in a long, long time. And a good chunk of the reason why was poor officiating. I don’t think we should let a one off like that bother us too much tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Because you have ARs one of whom is far side of scrum and will be watching that side. You dont need the TMO to be directly involved each time. The ref can see both sides at same time as refs do it at all levels of the game all the time and we have enough delays with TMO interactions and scrum times are long enough already

They werent downright wrong. Yes one of their 2nd rows was missing, that they scrummaged on TH side isnt much of a factor and certainly isnt an embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Well if the decisions were not wrong (and fair play to you for going against the grain), I don't see how you can say coughing up 6 penalties to a team with a winger at flank is anything other than a humiliating performance.

Ah flankers add next to no impact at the scrum. It’s all the tight five really. And Lawes coming from the back row to the second meant the impact of the red at scrum was minimal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭phog

Again, unfortunately like our game v France there were too many errors, turnovers and just a lack of cohesion at times but fair play we had a BP win which is about the best anyone could have asked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ersatz

I think Ireland had one scrum in the match ( with 61% of the possession), while we gave up 10, nearly all of them from knocking on. That’s somewhere to adjust, at least 3 of those were 50/50 (at best) off loads, another couple were just poor focus and handling. When you’re getting minced in the scrum, avoid scrums! Onfield (and pack) leadership was wanting.

At the same time, the pace that we were playing at is ultimately what won it for us. They were done after 65 mins. We had them run ragged. There were a few offloads that were forced (3 or 4 from memory) and we might just need to tighten that up a little, but the ambition that we were playing with was really positive and it worked for us over the 80. We left a few scores out there but I think we were always going to get the upper hand in the last quarter based on our tempo and the work they had to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

This is it, we are playing a much higher risk game now. We are still transitioning to it though, so the decision making won’t be right all the time. The more time goes on, the more we will learn from those errors, the better the decision making will come. On Saturday though, sticking to the plan was the right idea.

We are becoming like NZ though, In that you need to score tries to beat us. As we are certainly going to score them. While our defence has remained strong, making that a very difficult prospect for teams.

It was far more the silly penalties that annoyed me on Saturday, than the handling errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ersatz

Thats the balance to think about, they needed tempo to tire England out and benefit from the extra man late on, BUT we got ourselves into yellow card territory with the scrum problems at one stage. That might have been catastrophic. There is definitely room to improve in the mental department, I think they could have kept up the ruck speed but gone to ground rather than try some of the iffy off loads. Again though, very nice problem to have. I never thought Id be saying Ireland were too quick to offload!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Some nice work done by Beirne. Anyone know where ruck stats can be got?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Achilles Knee

He's coached at a very high level in France with Grenoble. I'd say he knows more than someone who probably carries the kit for the U10s. Ormond Banner Man 😅

Scrum beaten collectively as I said, agreed by Jackman, O'Sullivan and Couglan on Against the Head.

The likes of you survive on arrogance and the support of some equally arrogant posters.

You and your ilk are the reason Irish rugby threads are filled with people gloating when Ireland lose.

What an ignoramus you are.

A complete bully trying to silence new posters. You should be banned for a spell.

You have no contribution of your own only a clip from Virgin Media on the scrum problems put up🙄

It really is a terrible thing to don't know you don't know, Old Rio.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,943 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The rugby threads always descend into farce when Ireland lose or are perceived to have played poorly. There's a contingent of posters who are desperate to pounce on any sort of bad news and engage in bad faith arguments.

So all the other pundits and Nigel Owens don’t count. Because Jackman and O’Sullivan said so on against the head.

If people want to gloat when Ireland lose, it’s because they’re arseholes. Nothing to do with what I or any posters say on here. They just love misery.

Once again, what facts about how the scrum was legally beaten have you presented? You just want to throw insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

You seem upset. Do you need a hug? Try not to get so upset when other anonymous posters on an internet forum disagree with your opinion. Argue your point and try not to be too sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Jackman did not say that, he started by saying Nigel Owens said it should have been 3-3 on scrum penalties. He then picked one that we deserved to be penalised for as they got a slight forward shove before wheeling. Other than that they all agreed that once a referee gets an impression rightly or wrongly that can influence the decisions for the rest of the scrums. I was hoping for more analysis on it, but not bothered to pay for his podcast to get his in depth analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Henderson's stats: 2nd most carries in the pack (only VDF with more),

3rd most metres (Doris and VDF more),

a lineout steal in there as well.

2 penalties conceded, which is the worst on the team if you exclude Furlong for his scrum penalties (he had 4), equal with Sexton and Lowe who also conceded 2 each.

2 handling errors. Worst on the team, but again level with VDF.

Compared with Cian Healy, who carried for a grand total of 2 metres today. Who also missed 3 tackles, the worst on the team. There are no other stats worth talking about on Healy as he did nothing else.

Henderson conceded three penalties. Two in the line out and one on the ground in front of the posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Kylie06

Unfortunately he has form! Gets into repeated pointless spats with posters here on a multitude of topics

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭OldRio

Please show me where I tried to silence a new poster. Go on show me. You can't. You've been conned.

The poster you 'thought' was a new poster on this thread is in fact a contributor who always looks for the negative. Life's to short to waste time on entertaining their drivel.

If you don't like my contributions you know what to do. My life will remain the same.

As for you saying I need banning? Are you a mod? Or are you back seat moderator.

If I may humbly suggest. Relax. Because at the end of the day none of this really matters.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Achilles Knee and OldRio do not reply to each other on this thread again.

No. They weren't gloating, just pointing out facts that certain precious arseholes can't handle. A big difference.

That's a standard attempted wind up response on here. So original. You weren't even involved in the conversation but decided to reply. You're obviously sensitive and were moved to reply.

But this fella can call people arseholes? I used the 'some posters' phrase too.

So basically if you're in the clique you won't get sanctioned.

It says a lot about the moderation of the thread and how it's really an echo chamber full of nasty, small. For lamenting the weakness of our pack you get bullied off the thread. Called an arsehole, a moaner. A lot of you have no semblance of fairness or integrity.

Yep, Henderson conceded a penalty on an English line out for an utterly dopey offside, one at a ruck for playing the ball on the ground which was equally dopey and one on our line out for coming around to block access to the ball carrier (something we’ve been pinged for a few times in the last few months).

Lowes penalties were one for holding on (which is as much to do with the support as anything) and one for playing the scrum half in a ruck in a slightly sloppy attempt at a counter ruck.

I only remember 1 penalty against Sexton, which was the one where he was ahead of Ringrose when the latter kicked and Sexton never retreated. A dumb penalty in itself given how hot refs are on that these days. I don’t recall any other penalties against I’m though.

2 of Hendersons penalties led to shots at goal, one thankfully Smith missed. The other (off our line out) came during Englands only spell of real pressure. We turned them over and kicked to the line just outside their 22. It was a chance to regain momentum and Henderson’s penalty just handed it straight back to them.

He was pretty good in open play, but his penalties were all really poor penalties to give away and were all really impactful penalties too. He should be called out for those as much as some of the positive play as well. With his experience he really shouldn’t be conceding those.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Both Beirne and Henderson are well off Itoje. It's remarkable how good he is. My opinion only, he's world class!

Outside of him though we are better in most positions. But, anything can happen over a year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Kylie06

Jaysus…..Imagine typing up those angry rants and thinking anyone cares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,337 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

It's easy to be world class like Itoje when refs are very lenient with him. That penalty on his own line was a card all day long. Guarantee that was up the other end on our line it was YC.

Remember a few other games where he gave away 4 or 5 penalties in one half and wasn't even warned

Advertisement