Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BE licence

Options
  • 30-11-2021 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Hi all

At the moment I have a jeep and cattle box but in driving on a b car licence.

Is it the BE licence I need to pull the trailer.

Iv never done a theory test so I think I have to do that first. Also will the car theroy test do for the jeep and trailer. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yes you need to do a theory test and yes the theory for the car B license is what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Thats the requirements there. Just something you often hear people saying is that you need a license if its a twin axle etc. Not strictly true but often you would be over the 750kg with a trailer of that size.

My reading is that once my combined weight is below 3500kg i am ok to tow on my B license.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I got a BE learner permit recently by just applying online.

Never did a car theory test but did lorry theory test about 10 years ago. Would that be the reason they issued the BE learner permit?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

As long as your vehicle is capable of towing. I can't see how a VW jetta pulling an Ivor Williams 10 X 6 is safe or legal but I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

You can pull anything up to 3,500kg on a B licence but that's the licensing requirements.

The vehicle capabilities also come into it seperate to the license. The vehicle will have a maximum combination weight also.

What you can tow is the lower of your license or the vehicle capabilities.

The jetta might be fully legal to pull the ifor Williams 10x6 empty but fill it with cattle and it would likely be illegal.

The weight of the unladen trailer would be probably under a tonne, if the jetta could pull 2 tonne (probably a bit high) you could put a tonne of livestock in there and still be legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Jetta braked towing capacity is 1400kg.

I must weigh my own trailer to see how i am a the moment. Im confident im legal as never have a big load of lambs but would like to have proof if ever stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

There's some of the ifor Williams trailers, a 12×5 comes in at a tonne, depending on the lambs you could put 8-10 lambs in it legally assuming the jetta is not more than 2.1 tonne (wouldn't think it's that heavy).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Im sure I read somewhere that the plated weight of the trailer is what matters and therefore you couldnt tow such trailers empty

if the plated laden weight takes you over your vehicle towing weight limit or licence class.

Maybe that was uk rules though.

Id imagine its almost impossible to police it any other way though. How does a garda assess whether you are legal or not if plated weight is not the answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Tommyturf

Wonder would it be as handy to get the rigid lorry license rather than just go for the BE permit, more ticks on license for little extra...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The rigid lorry license either C or C1 will still not allow you to pull a trailer like the BE license does. You need either CE or C1E in the rigid category to pull a trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

This is correct, its the plated weight of the car and trailer, Car = 2000kgs you can only tow a trailer <1500kgs (plated gross) on a B license so all of the trailers above are a no no.

Equally if your car can tow 2000kgs and you have a trailer capable of 3.5tonnes but you only ever put one animal etc.. in the trailer (trailer 700kg + 500KG = 1.2tonnes) it makes not a blind bit of difference whats in the trailer a guard will go to the plate and your car is not capable of towing 3.5tonnes you are not legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Guards aren't pulling for weights, usually it's just for trailer license because if you don't have the license you don't have insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭DBK1

As mickdw and eusap have said it’s the plated weight you look at not the actual weight you’re towing so by the letter of the law your Jetta cannot legally pull any of the listed ifor Williams trailers above, even with the trailer empty.

Equally what Wrangler says seems to be the case. If you have the license and the jeep and trailer are in good condition and properly maintained, especially trailer brakes and lights, and you’re not taking the p**s with the load on board there’s a very slim chance of you being weighed.

Basically if it looks right you’ll generally be ok, if it looks wrong you’re asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

The guards are checking weights. Especially on the triple axel trailers but the license is the first thing they will ask for

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jd06

Is the b E driving test similar to the ordinary car test in duration and difficulty or is it a shortened down version seeing as you would have the B license already.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jd06

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Yes it's pretty much the same as the car. They even make you reverse around a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭alps

Careful...its the combined MAM of both vechicles cannot exceed 3,500kg, even if they're empty and only weighing 2,000kg..

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Is there not a design weight that the "jetta" is capable of loaded with. As in you can only put so much weight down on the back axle of the car, so the car has to be capable of taking such weight,

or has this nothing to do with it?

As for the guards, they can and do check for the license, and they don't weigh unless it's fairly obvious the trailer is over loaded but what they do do is check the trailer plates and the car plate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

As long as it's not "left hand reverse, twill be grand, guards will be grand too unless your a total rogue,

It's the insurance rogues in a event of a accident is the problem without BE license

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lads - I just got my third BE learner licence online and received in the post today.

I thought you had to show proof of doing or applying for a driving test? Or has that restriction been removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Was on the 2nd Lerner permit and passed the test a fortnight ago. Had applies over a year ago, but there was a serious backlog. Did a 3 lessons and hired the jeep and trailer from the instructor. Well worth doing the few lessons to knock the bad habits out of the driving and the instructor had the few test routes. Test lasted about 40 mins including paperwork, a few questions at the start and paper work at the end. Test was similar to a normal B/car test, with a questions focused on the the trailer. Had the left hand reverse a round the corner, hill start and then general driving. Other thing was the test had to be done with the windows fully open on a cold wet day. Tester was well accustomed to it with a fine warm hat and jacket

With the way things are going it's needed especially for insurance. Would recommend to any farmer, just do and get it out of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Did you have to have a weight in the trailer? If so how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Instructor had the 750kg in the trailer. The tester is looking to see 30 4inch blocks. The will look to see it, as it seems to be part of the test routine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭DBK1

As Stonewall said they’ll look for 30 4” blocks evenly distributed which is about 575kgs and they’re very particular about it. They won’t accept 20 6” blocks instead or tractor weights, fert/meal bags etc. It has to be 30 4” blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭einn32

Did the test years ago after a few lessons. It was grand. Reverse, hill start and blocks in the trailer. Pretty similar to the car test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Simplest thing I found when I did it was just to hire the jeep and trailer off the driving school. They'll have everything exactly the way the tester wants it and they're out in the same jeep and trailer a few times every day. Avoids having to find a trailer that meets the dimension requirements and have the exact distribution of blocks etc. Far easier to just pay the driving school an extra few bob

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Can anyway confirm to do the theory test for trailer its just the same test as car ?.

Went through the booking process and no mention of trailer so assume its just the normal car theory test.

But then I'm thinking you could do that whole 40Q test and would be no Q on towing a trailer. Which would seem strange..cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭cjpm

It’s the same test. You only get stung to do it as it wasn’t a requirement when must of us got our original car licenses

Advertisement