Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New roof - can we live in the house ?

• 14-03-2022 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

We need to get a new roof put on - anyone got this done?

Is it a bad idea to live in the house when it's being done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mike_2009

is it just tiles / membrane or is it the whole roof joists / rafters too?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

Esho

what parts of the roof are being replaced

We stayed in the house when roof was being done. It was just membrane and tiles.

This is a Health and Safety issue and the Builder is obliged to comply with the Health and Safety Legislation, while the house is a Building Site

it is not something that the householder has a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭SC024

Is it just tiles/slates & felt needs to be replaced? if so yes no reason why it cant be done. obviously depending on weather you dont want them stripping roof on wet day. Also will have to be done in sections & re-sealed at the end of each day. You also need to be prepared in the event of some damage to ceilings below the roof, Doesn't always happen but sometimes it does so dont be shocked. possibly some minor repairs / re paint of ceilings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Esho

Esho

The Builder will be the person to decide on the Health and Safety issues while the works are ongoing.

There is always the possibility of slates, hammers, tools or building workers etc falling down between the rafters an down through the ceiling and could cause serious damage to anyone below.

I would not see any problem of people living in the house once the builder has made the root safe every day, and has gone off site for the night

It will be dangerous for any person to be in the house when works are in progress on the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Esho

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

My parents did a major job a few years ago, went from a low pitched bungalow, to a dormer. Remember the summer where it rained every day, I think Umbrella was in the charts. That year. Some amount of dust, but they swept the house and hard every day, to keep the diet from being trekked through the house. The only damage was a hammer was dropped on the first step of the new stairs.

Bottom 3 slates were taken off, new wall plate put in. Roof went up quick. Once that was up, Windows went in. No more rain coming inside. But the dust and noise from carpenters and old school plumbers, unreal. House was very cold, for about 3 months.

Would they do it again? Yeah, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭SC024

No problem. Make sure you check out whoever you get to do the work. Make sure they know what they're doing put scaffold up etc. see some of their previous work if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shauna677

Looking to get whole new roof put on this summer, what should i be asking or checking with the roofer before I proceed. Is there a compliance certificate I need to get?

Advertisement