Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How fast is A4 now ?

Options
  • 13-03-2022 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭

Just curious how fast A4 goes now ?

Been over 10 years since I raced last ,just curious how fast it is now, is everyone at 4watts per kg and over ?

I feel I have top end power comparing charts from 10 years ago but not great mid range yet !

I plan on racing in about 3 weeks just finishing off a training block, then I ll dive in

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Raymzor

Strava is your best bet to get average speeds. newbridge gp today is a lumpy circuit (https://www.strava.com/segments/971310). Last weeks Navan Race Seamus Kennedy Race (https://www.strava.com/activities/6781465899/segments/2935531525390968554) 37kph.

if you want relatively up to date power output from Irish racing have a look at Premier Endurance website or maybe facebook page. i saw charts showing power to weight ratios recently.

If you have raced before you will have the experience at drafting so just go and enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

That's what I did look at, I seen the power profiles and thought yikes , everyone must be so strong

Thx for the strava I ll check it out

260 watts averages for A3. Didn't see any profiles for the A4 race.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Raymzor

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

In A3 myself now so take this with a pinch of salt. There is no way to know in A4. It is more consistent at the end of the season in my experience but at the beginning, it could be dog slow or worse than A2 to hang in there. You might have a field of veterans or a few new faces who destroy everyone. Turn up, ride it like you could win it and see how it goes is my only advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

I did that Navan Race and it didn't seem any faster than normal. I was still terrible though :-)

Don't overthink it. Just jump in.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If you're still able to put out 1,000+w for 10 seconds, you'll be grand. The fact that you've raced before will stand to you as well. You know what you're doing and won't waste efforts. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

In my view, there's so much more than watts per kg in a one day race (specially short ones). I've seen people with very "low" power levels win races. I could do f** all the whole race but then get in the right breakway at the right time and just do a decent 2 mins effort up a hill and win the race and yet be nowhere near 4wkp in one hour effort.

Plus dont rely on people power meters as God knows how accurate they are!

That's 95% of A4s who just had their hearts broken

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

It's where dreams go to die. Or is that a Handicap in Mondello?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Raced against the OP back in the day. He always had a great gallop.

You're spot on about this. Numbers are only a very approximate guide and how smart you race is arguably even more important than the watts you can put out. Even bike handling can make a big difference. Relatively simple things like how well you corner can really add up.

i had a look a few strava files from the guys who placed, i would of been dropped on the climb at the newbridge grand prix

I still have a sprint its bigger than it ever was, i was hitting 1400 watts when doing the bmx racing, started the poly and sprint block training so hoping for 1200 for 5 secs, so hope it comes back quick.

But i only started training again on the road in december so no time really to build ftp

Not to hijack your thread OP, but I was wondering how bad an idea it would be to jump into a couple of A4 races with very limited group ride experience? I think I know the answer but have my license and could probably squeeze in two races this year.

I only took up cycling in the lockdown and have a newborn and two toddlers at home so mostly train on my own or with one other person. Unfortunately, the times of the local group rides don't work with small kids. I'm up to 4 watts p/kg.

What times do work? Lots of mid week club leagues, training sessions with clubs on random days etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I was wondering how bad an idea it would be to jump into a couple of A4 races with very limited group ride experience?

i have no experience to inform an answer here, except that i am very cautious cycling in groups due to my inexperience with group cycling, let alone entering a race...

Realistically, on a good day I could get out the door at 7.30pm. Lots of other days it might be a lot later so even in mid summer I struggle to make anything formal. I've looked into spins in my area and nothing really works.

I usually cycle really early in the morning or even at night with good lights. I use the trainer a lot as it means I can just jump on for an hour whenever the opportunity arises.

I'd love to race as I'm a competitive person, but would not do anything that would risk my safety or the safety of others.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Don't do it. Really don't. Racing is a whole other story, and it's not just about your own but everyone else's safety.

Join a club and do the club league, plenty of them around the country. You group and bunch experience with the added bonus of actually learning how to race, so that when you do an open race you can actually make the best of yourself.

Not ideal but most club leagues are out the door at 7pm, so slightly earlier than you'd like but only once a week. Several riders if you join a club will have evening training spins. After that you have Mondello A4 where you can hang at the back in about as safe a race situation as you could hope for. Long story short, I'd hang off a weekend A4 race before any of the above. Sundrive training sessions, albeit track, will get you used to close contact riding and in my opinion should be mandatory for all new racers but that is another discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

You'll be fine dancinpants

Try a race out and see how you get on. Most cycling people overestimate the difficulty of races.

Mainly it's stay with a group and position for climbs or end sprint

Thanks a million. I'll look into all of those.

It's a pain as I've gotten myself fit since October after getting a trainer, but it's coincided with a time in my life when I can't put it to good use. Add to that I am not getting any younger at 41!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭nilhg

Would TTs be an option for the OP? Certainly very competitive and can be done on a road bike (with clip ons if wanted). At 41 the Vets might even be an option?

I'd suggest the Naas TT as a starter on the 28th of May, a good safe course, plenty of categories and a proper test, if you can hold 4W/kg on it you'll do OK

Great idea. Naas wouldn't work for me but I'll check out something more local.

I made a big jump in my FTP recently but have been able to do all the interval sessions at 4w/kg.

This is true, most of us would have just turned up one day and learned on the job. Done a club league first myself but on the same note, it was too well run, so when I got to an open race, it was not the same. This said, even a few spins with others, if only to learn the etiquette, the dos and do nots is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My club ran race training skill sessions, tbh I found them more useful than club leagues when I moved to open racing. I do think it's important, for everyone's safety, that you're comfortable with riding close* and with contact without panicking or over reacting.

*I was the same, and it was a more experienced club mate who had a work/ worked on it with me when I first joined a cycling club (after a few years tri/ solo).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Not necessarily related to the thread but said I’d ask here rather than start another one. I upgraded my license online last week and haven’t yet received the numbers in the post. I was in touch with cycling ireland and they’re saying it could take 2-3 weeks. Can I race this weekend without the physical numbers in my possession and just have a copy of the licence and obviously paid the registration fee for the race itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

Dont think you will be allowed race with no numbers,commissare should let you

race if you show copy of online licence printed off at sign on.

I would suggest trying to make a set of numbers for you jersey maybe you could use the back of old numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭easygoing39

in the past I've seen Commissare's give a loan of numbers for a small deposit to people who's numbers havent arrived in the post.Hand back the numbers after the race and get youre deposit back.

Old numbers and tell the COmmisaire so they can make a note of it pre race is all you need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Samuel323

I think that you will be able to hit the speed of 120 MPH or more than it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 IrishCycleSport Endurance

Advertisement