Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ivermectin discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well, the EMA & FDA are the places to go for that rather than perpetually demanding proof of something or other from posters who just plain disagree with you. How does not approved suddenly become a ban? Quite a few so-called conspiracy theorists have a habit of not accepting Occam's Razor.

According to this statement in Oklahoma, USA they have changed course allowing doctors to use their training and expertise to prescribe off label medicines like Ivermectin to treat Covid patients.

https://www.oag.ok.gov/articles/attorney-general-oconnor-assures-oklahoma-physicians-are-not-prohibited-prescribing-label

• Registered Users Posts: 16,463 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

So, Dexamethasone has been trialed for COVID patients that have Acute Respiratory Distress, are you implying it should go through trials as a general treatment as well? To what end? Please be specific rather than being dismissive or goalpost moving.

My feeling here was correct at the very least.

Are you also saying you want the bar for Ivermectin to be the same as the bar for Dexamethasone? If different, why, if the same, how and why will that be achieved for Ivermectin given it's lack of efficacy in properly run trials so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭PureIsle

The way I read that it is more a clarification of the legal status and not so much an approval which would require those agencies who are reprimanding doctors for using it to change their attitude.

I think the doctors are still under threat of having their licences revoked, but maybe there is a glimmer of hope that if they challenge that legally there might be some help available. I doubt it though TBH.

I have NEVER demanded anything from other posters.

I have mostly posted information for others to read, and you have constantly jumped on those posts for some reason unknown to me. It is you who post in disagreement.

It is time to accept there is more than one opinion on the matter and give up your useless campaign.

• Advertisement

I did not imply anything.

I pointed out that you did not answer the question I asked.

I cannot make it more simple for you.

I respond to posts I want to respond to, hardly a campaign by any standards. Your real beef is with the FDA, the EMA, Merck and quite probably a bit of big Pharma thrown in. I am none of these. Anyway will leave you to it but if it is ever approved as a treatment for COVID I'll celebrate with with you!

And I'm pointing out that without elaboration, your question makes absolutely zero sense, Dexamethasone has been through double blind trials for those with the symptoms which can be treated by Dexamethasone, it has not been through double blind trials for symptoms which cannot be treated by Dexamethasone. Ivermectin has failed any trials that use proper scientific process, it's standing isn't much above homeopathy at the moment.

Here's the clarifications needed before your question can be answered effectively:

• Dexamethasone has been trialled for COVID patients that have Acute Respiratory Distress, are you implying it should go through trials as a general treatment as well? To what end?
    • Are you also saying you want the bar for Ivermectin to be the same as the bar for Dexamethasone? (as Ivermectin has nowhere near reached that bar)
    • If different, why, if the same, how and why will that be achieved for Ivermectin given it's lack of efficacy in properly run trials so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Wheels & Arrows: The Daryl Dixon report.

The potential efficacy of ivermectin as prophylaxis for COVID-19

Héctor et al. conducted a prospective observational study in which they gave ivermectin and carrageenan daily to healthy volunteers for 28 days, comparing them to similarly healthy controls who did not take the drugs.

Of the 229 study participants, 131 were treated with 0.2 mg ivermectin drops taken by mouth five times a day. After 28 days, none of the participants receiving ivermectin prophylaxis tested positive for SARS-COV-2, compared to 11.2% of the participants in the control group who tested positive [64]. In line with other prophylaxis reports, a recently published Preprint Matching Case–Control 374 study on medRxiv, which analyzed several drugs experimentally used as COVID-19 375 prophylaxis, showed a 73% reduction in COVID-19 infections in health care workers after two doses of ivermectin (OR 0.27; 95% CI 0.15–0.51) [65]. Remarkably, this study did not establish that a single dose of prophylaxis has a protective effect.

You're eyes have yet to open

It doesn't matter what state people's eyes are in. If the FDA and the EMA, in our case, say no, no it is and they do say no.

• Advertisement

Em, I'm sure you read it fully:

Based on the current data and the recommended dose of 150–200 µg/kg for COVID-19 treatment, ivermectin is probably safe; however, there is some serious doubt about its efficacy in treating COVID-19. Ivermectin has a better safety profile than other purposed and repurposed drugs such as hydroxychloroquine and colchicine [93] that lack efficacy and, in the case of hydroxychloroquine, has been shown to be harmful [33468294]. Before initiating a patient on ivermectin therapy, clinicians need to be aware that ivermectin doses necessary to block SARS-COV-2, patients’ inflammatory status, other concurrent medications, and patients' potential genetic polymorphism for the p-glycoprotein mdr-1 gene may enhance ivermectin’s toxicity and serious side effects in humans.

Probably safe to take (which you'd expect as it's already prescribed for other treatments) but doubts about it's efficacy is pretty much where everyone is with it (bar a few who keep trying to blame big pharma even though it's off patent and can be produced by anyone).

But at the very least, the trumpoids who still insist on HCQ being effective might shut up as it's been shown to be harmful and ineffective (rather than just ineffective like IVM).

I think that is a bit simplistic TBH.

Neither FDA nor EMA recommend or approve the substance as previously mentioned, but that of itself would not prevent doctors from prescribing it.

What has prevented doctors from prescribing it is the threats from their medical boards, that if they do they might be struck off the register and not allowed practice anymore.

Couple that with pharmacists not being willing to fullfill prescriptions for the substance and you have an effective ban on its use.

Who or what is behind this I do not know, but the doctors ability to treat their patients as the doctors determine is interfered with.

IMO that is a very serious situation.

If a treatment has been shown to be ineffective then a doctor should not be prescribing that treatment, the fact there is still ongoing trials (I'm guessing at this stage, have they completely given up on getting approval?) means there is no ban in place. If a patient presents with symptoms of a disease that IVM is effective for, it will be prescribed without any issues.

You don't see a problem with doctors being allowed to prescribe anything they want regardless of it being noted as ineffective?

I think you're letting your need for IVM to be effective cloud your judgement, that is a serious situation.

You don't see a problem with doctors being allowed to prescribe anything they want regardless of it being noted as ineffective?

Doctors are allowed to prescribe medicines 'off label'. It is a common occurrence.

I see no reason to change the way doctors have worked for many decades.

You're too blinkered to see the difference between an off label prescription where there is efficacy vs. a scenario where no efficacy has been shown.

Doctors don't just prescribe everything in a hit and hope method for a multitude of reasons (not least that it can be dangerous and can be seen as extorting money from a patient for an ineffective treatment).

Even that safety study acknowledged that there wasn't any efficacy being shown and that's building on all previous studies.

It's a busted flush that only conspiracy theorists and trumpoids are still clinging to. The science has been done and passed it by and other actually effective treatments have been created, trialled and approved while IVM is still off patent, still available to anyone to produce and still not submitted for approval anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

A study from Malaysia finds Ivermectin to be no better than a placebo.

I don't know how many more studies will be needed before this quackery can be put to rest but that's another one for the pile anyway.

I see no link to any study in your post ....... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Why did pub med publish this paper?

Ivermectin: a multifaceted drug of Nobel prize-honoured distinction with indicated efficacy against a new global scourge, COVID-19

A.D. Santin, D.E. Scheim, [...], and T.J. Borody

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Thanks for that. It is in Dolores Cahill realm.

This research on what lies behind the Ivermectin story makes compelling reading, and it is rather sickening to have confirmation of our worst fears about how pharma companies influence what medications we are given when ill.

https://philharper.substack.com/p/professor-tied-to-altered-andrew?token=eyJ1c2VyX2lkIjo0NjI2MTAwMywicG9zdF9pZCI6NDk4NzMzODgsIl8iOiJNd3k4MCIsImlhdCI6MTY0NjY2MjkzNiwiZXhwIjoxNjQ2NjY2NTM2LCJpc3MiOiJwdWItNzIyNjU2Iiwic3ViIjoicG9zdC1yZWFjdGlvbiJ9.WjFsYN5SaOrPm4_ayv6RWyHzJ_VmAtCWJBQMmvBkA5E&s=r

I don't know about how others regard these events, but for me it causes me to question just about everything related to 'approved medicines'.

I guess there is even more truth in the saying "follow the money" than I thought possible.

Post edited by PureIsle on

This comparison table should be of interest - even to those who regard Ivermectin as useless

https://c19science.info/FDA_Drug_Approvals.htm

Philly Harper on Uttar Pradesh and their early treatment programme, which according to some never happened or if it did never included Ivermectin or did not have the effect claimed and all sorts of other ridiculous claims. 

https://philharper.substack.com/p/uttar-pradesh-put-covid-early-treatment?s=r&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=email

• Registered Users Posts: 28,051 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This garbage again?

Can you list the entire contents of the pack and when it was distributed? Exactly? I dont mean some picture of unknown veracity some randomer found on twitter. When did it start when did it end.

Why have you singled out one from the list? There are multiple medicines listed...

And what else happened in Uttar Pradesh? Hint they didnt just send out a kit. They went door to door with testing, masks, and ran isolation programmes.

This is thoroughly discredited nonsense it is like whack a mole.

The only ridiculous claims come from you and the dregs of the internet you find it.

Apparently Ivermectin cures all known forms of death... based on the stats from UP

https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/there-is-no-scientific-basis-for-claims-of-ivermectins-success-in-uttar-pradesh-india/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Thank you for responding as expected 😀

You should of course believe Jill Terreri Ramos, a staff writer for PolitiFact New York and the Buffalo News, and not the medical people on the ground in Uttar Pradesh, or anyone else.

The same old BS from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It's absolute bollocks. Utter bollocks from very bad people taking advantage of gullible conspiracy theorists like you. You and thousands like you are being used by these absolute bastards.

I'm sorry to be so blunt but you don't have any understanding of these issues and you just keep peddling this incredibly dangerous misinformation.

Stop it. You are putting yourself and others in danger.

Would you care to specify what theory I have proposed?

To my recollection I have not proposed any theory.

Responding by calling what was posted as "bollocks" by "bastards" is really weak. Make a case or argument that disproves what was posted, then you might get others to see they are being mislead. But to just dismiss it gives you no credibility.

• Advertisement

Your summary here is a bit skewed though and leaves out the history of this admittedly very very long thread.

The lack of credibility actually goes the other way. Why? Because Pradesh and what they did there has been brought up many many times in this thread already. Pretty much entirely by the same user over and over again.

And many of us - myself included - very much did "make a case and argument" each time. Over and over again.

What the single user has done in response to this is to pretty much ignore all of those concerns and rebuttals. Instead (s)he will simply leave the thread for a few days or longer. Then suddenly return with another link that does little more than mention Pradesh again. The link will contain no new data or information. It will simply be a link to some blog opinion piece of someone simply mentioning Pradesh again.

Worse the user has been asked multiple questions directly on the subject and has often simply dodged or ignored them entirely. Random example go look at post 1211 on the thread and then consider the users response to it. It was a sarky, dismissive non answer ending in a "I am not answering your question go look it up yourself" style cop out which is so common from that corner. But when someone here calls it "bollocks" you jump up and down? When the user refuses to answer questions with badly spelt cop out lines like "I am not hear to indulge your silliness" you say nothing? Check post 1189 as another great example here. The user is simply refusing over and over to answer the question asked and keeps throwing out dodge links that has no information on the questions asked. Evidence of this behavior right there in black and white.

The user has dodged that direct question multiple times from multiple users. How does this stack their "credibility" in your opinion then?

When you read post 1223 for example you see the user dodged the question by entirely changing the subject to another area entirely. Worse they then cited an article cherry picked to a particular time that looked good. But as PintOfView pointed out very well - the article came before a big spike in cases in that area too.

Again - lets check how credibility has been stacking over time here shall we?

So - take a look at the link above posted by that user just now then if you do not believe me. What is the actual content of the link? Very little. It is a personal opinion piece that does nothing more than merely mention - once again - that a "pack" of drugs was distributed. This has all been dealt with multiple times in the thread already.

Further consider what the user said while presenting that link. The claim was that "which according to some never happened or if it did never included Ivermectin". I have just gone back over the last 15 pages of this thread while constructing this post for you. I am really struggling to find any posts that fit that description? We have questioned many things on this thread related to Pradesh. But I am struggling deeply to find anyone who has claimed the program there either A) did not happen or B) did not contain Ivermectin at all? Am I missing something or is the user in question simply packing the straw in the strawman here??? Again - where does the credibility lie therefore???

As has been posted on this thread many times - including by me - Pradesh is not uninteresting. They did a lot of interesting things in response to the virus. It included things like door to door contact tracing and testing and distribution of masks as well as the home treatment kits. And also isolation of infected households.

The issue however is that _ this _ is specifically a thread about Ivermectin. And when an area implements a raft of measures - medical and procedural and so forth - then it is simply a nonsense to pick one tiny thing out of that collection of decisions and act like there is evidence that the efficacy of their approach has anything to do with that one tiny thing. As interesting as Pradesh is overall - pointing at it as some kind of evidence that Ivermectin is efficacious against Covid is simply a lay man error from someone who does not appear to have the first inkling of understanding - or a wish to gain any - of the processes and procedures of epidemiology.

So yes credibility would be a nice thing to see here. But not from the corner you suggest. The user has been dealt with multiple times over and over and I do not think someone getting frustrated and finally just shouting "bollocks" at him means they have lacked or lost any credibility in that moment.

I would suggest you read my own post 1099 on the thread too. Then return to me and tell me exactly which user(s) have established credibility in their approach here?

Advertisement