Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Sony Bravia the best

Options
  • 13-03-2022 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭

ok so my 37 inch Panasonic plasma which ive owned since june 2010 ( bought for world cup that year ) bit the dust three days ago and using a 21 inch bedroom Toshiba since

been reading up on 50 inch LED,s and most seem to say the Sony Bravia is the best , you are talking 800 quid however where as an LG 50 inch LED can be got for circa 550 in some cases , perhaps the performance of the bravia makes it stand out however ?

would of course be open to Samsung etc as well but if the Sony is worth it , id go for it as i keep tv,s until they die

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

LED's are not bad, but if your used to Plasma quality you might find it a bit of a downgrade to go to LED.

If you can afford it, I think you should be looking at an LG OLED, not an LED. Especially if your looking for a bigger screen where the difference in pic quality will show more apparent on bigger screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

so you reckon this LG OLED is a better option to the Sony Bravia ? , price is similar

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve a Sony Bravia KD 55”… picture quality is stunning… I can’t remember what I paid, it was roughly one year ago but I’m watching an ice hockey game and I might as well be there.

everything is probably a good bit more expensive even compared to last year ?

You seem to be hung up on the brand. It's the tech that matters, not the 'Sony' or the 'Bravia' brand.

OLED's are the most expensive, because they give the best pic quality. I don't know what your budget is so it's up to you. You could go with LED and have a bigger screen at half the cost of an OLED and totally enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

And to be clear, LG are the only company that makes OLED screens. So even if you buy a Sony Bravia OLED, LG will have made the panel for it.

That doesn't necessarily mean every LG OLED is better than any other brand, it just means the difference is very minor and more down to processor, operating system, etc.

I'm not hung up on any brand at all , I've never had a Sony TV, just enquiring based on pieces I've read which could well be biased?

Euronics doing a 48 inch LG OLED for 799 right now , was going to spend 550 so another 250 is worth it for improved performance by going OLED

Correct me if im wrong but My partner told me today that we don't pay for a HD subscription with Sky and wonders if we would get the benefit of a OLED TV ?

Euronics doing a 48 inch LG OLED for 799 right now , was going to spend 550 so another 250 is worth it for improved performance by going OLED

That sound pretty good to me. I would.

OLED will give the best picture quality, regardless if your watching SD or HD. Clearly HD is way better than SD.

Correct me if im wrong but My partner told me today that we don't pay for a HD subscription with Sky and wonders if we would get the benefit of a OLED TV ?

I don't know anything about Sky Subs. I'm surprised non-hd subs are still a thing. You need a box capable of HD whether it's freesat or Sky to get the best experience. You can also watch HD or 4K via internet services.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clodola

Sony just released QD-OLED tech , pricey , A95K

LG or Sony seem to be the bench mark last few years , the pioneer kuro was the bench mark for plasma

LG gx series is nice duep to its thin panel , premium price because it's design

Personally I like the Sony build quality and design

For sky you have hd and ultra HD add-on, to make the most out of your 4k panel , ultra HD would be the option to take

Try richersounds , do good av tech , are competitively priced , Harvey Norman have a good display

https://euro.richersounds.ie/c-15-oledtvs.aspx?swapstore=1#pgnum=&sort=

• Advertisement

Just to add , no one games in our house so the highest resolution graphics perhaps less important?

Philips 48OLED 806 mentioned as being very good too on sites I've researched

Ordered this this evening

Power City

Advertisement