Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,183 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Hmm......I think he probably prepared, but remember, he is clearly shot! And his chin is his chin, so no matter what preparation, he likely still gets tagged and hurt.

Post edited by walshb on

I feel this too. Both gave it a real proper go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I think Khan will retire, or maybe bow out with an easy fight against another shot, name fighter in the Middle East somewhere for a ball of cash.

I think Brook will do a James Degale and go one too many against a young British fighter like Conor Benn who he probably would have taken apart in his prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,687 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It was good to see a grudge match like that, the bell went and they both went straight out after each other ,

Personally id don't get the whole Khan didn't look prepared, he got hit hard early & showed great grit and determination to keep going as long as he did, so he was certainly fit & put in the hard work ,

Remember he hasn't fought in 2 & a half years and is past it, i think he was as well prepared as he possible could be at this stage,

His ability to take a shot has always been his weak point & he done his best to stay in there,

Both lads are finished but they put on a good show to go out on ,

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Butson

Main event was entertaining enough, probably did good pay per view buys as Sky were pushing it hard.

Both men should retire now, decent careers.

Let it go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I wouldn't be getting carried away if I were Brook or his team, I don't think he has much else to offer really, not at any decent level anyway.

He beat a totally spent Amir Khan who had zero resistance left in him, I don't think he can take too much away from the fight tbh, really all he gets is the last laugh from a fight that should of happened years earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I think he'll be content with that win.

He gave years looking at Khan, who he thought he could take apart, go on and become a bigger name than himself.

Like how some lads in the UFC look at Conor McGregor raking in the cash

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Aye Taylor easy there I think. I see there’s a bit of a joker HW bout too

Hopefully Taylor moves up after and fights boxers his own size. That 140 lbs division is absolute muck!

I’m seeing Canelo/Bivol May 7 for WBA 175 lbs belt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Young Donovan from Limerick was impressive again. He looks very talented and with Andy Lee in his corner he could go on to big things.

Not seeing it. Impossible to assess these lads when in against such woeful opposition..

Not looking too good for Donovan.

Some joke

Disgraceful, Caterall clearly won that fight.

I see enough there to know he'll have a good career.

I then said the fact he's under Andy Lee means he could go on to big things. I didn't say he will go on to good things just that he has the right team around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Vintage stuff from Chocolatito last night.

Who ya got for this mickey mouse "world title" fight on Saturday?

Mick is 2-1 on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Danye

I can’t warm to Conlon anymore, probably with his links to MTK.

I also think he’s tried to go down the Conor McGregor route, with his self talk and his “See it and believe it” spiel. Then the tricolour and “doing it for his country and fans” all the “When one goes to war, we all go to war” talk.

On the boxing front, I don’t think he’s improved as much as I thought he might have. I also think he has a suspect chin and I honestly wouldn’t be all too surprised if he got KOed or stopped in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Don't think Leigh Wood is all that great tbh. Expecting Conlan to make it a boring fight and win on points.

Really great step up for Gary Cully fighting Vasquez too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

whats the best place to watch conlon fight? is it DAZN?

He’s not near great. It’s like a clash of two domestic/euro level boxers. 50/50 fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Conlan easily fringe world level and a clear step above domestic/euro for me. Expect him to prove it against Wood.

Beaten absolutely nobody to make such a claim.

Agreed.

Comes across so crass. Even yesterday, he was actually giving the finger to the crowd…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

I know you should probably support local fighters but I've a very strong dislike of Conlan.

He's dull to watch too, would really like to see him beat

Nationality used to mean something to me. I couldn’t give a fook now. We’re all just part of the world. I support based on personality/character etc.

Conlan for me is very unlikable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Agree with comments above re. Conlon.

For me he has been very disappointing on 2 fronts.

1. His development (or lack of development) after turning pro. From being 1 of the best amateurs in the world he's developed into a very mediocre pro. Lacking in ringcraft, power and hand-speed. Shocking when you consider his standing as an amateur.

2. His blatant disregard for the stature and history of boxing in Belfast. During Belfast's darkest and bleakest times the one and only thing that united "both sides" was boxing. Him firmly nailing his republication colours to the mast and isolating half of the Belfast boxing community is an insult to great boxing men like Gerry Storey and Wayne McCullough who ignored threats on their lives to reach out to the "other side". I have absolutely no problems with his political beliefs and probably share most of them with him but the "ooh ah up the ra" stuff doesn't sit well with me.

This evening for the first time in my life I think I'll actually be rooting against a Belfast fighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

The little Argentine Farias is dominating the English girl here heading into the last 2 rounds but I have a feeling she won't get the decision.

Advertisement