Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Ukraine war — like all conflicts — will hit women and girls the hardest, UN warns"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

The usual crap that gets published every time there is a conflict of sorts.

Post edited by Jequ0n on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Jesus christ, what a load of crap. 14,000 people have died in the war so far, 90+% of which are male.

I dont care what the media propaganda says, I believe women have it much easier in the west than men these days in almost every aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

You'd think actual problem in the world would focus minds on real issue and stop the promotion of the "victim industry"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Victimhood has currency these days…as does appearing to be an “advocate” for victims.

Men (extreme cases aside) are not allowed to be victims by todays media. So what do you expect really?

Particularly from the UN - if I recall, the last international Mens day rather than highlighting issues such as suicide, prostatic cancer etc they instead told Men how they had to do more for women.

The women and children are the ones fleeing from the war. Fleeing to the unknown. Often to countries with different languages, cultures and supports. They are vulnerable to abuse of various forms. Their homes and menfolk are being destroyed even if the men survive, they’ll never be the same

So, yes. Women are being hit hard.

• Advertisement

I don’t think anyone’s saying they aren’t being hit hard. But are they being hit the hardest?

Imagine being an 18 year old and being told you can’t leave with the rest of your family, having a rifle thrust into your hands. Any moment might have your legs blown off. Stand there in horror helpless after your mate has been shot in the face. Burning alive in a tank that’s been hit with a shaped charge. This kind of thing is actually happening to those 18 year olds, they’re only kids really.

I wouldn’t be so quick as the media to say the males are having the easier ride in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

I think a cruise missile hits a bit harder then forced emigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Irish people are no ones to talk about kids being given guns. Ireland sent 15 and 16 year olds to the Congo. One 15 year old is still missing in action, presumed dead. Others were taken prisoner. Some were wounded and another killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

It's the same sh1te that you hear about things like cancer screening. The "it wouldn't happen of it was men" line infuriates me when some woke campaigner spouts it on the radio. Of course poorly read samples wouldn't happen in screening for men's cancers. There is NO screening for men's cancers!!! We are expected to just die quickly and leave the hospital beds free for women.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

You're nothing in Dublin 4 if you aren't on the board of a charity and the main charitiy fashions at the moment are are women's issues, homelessness and overseas aid. This Ukraine war ticks all the boxes for a fundraising bonanza for the charities. The BMW dealers of Dublin 4 will be in for a bumper 222 with all the "company cars" being bought for charity directors.

• Advertisement

Why are so many posters trying to make this war into a male v female thing?

It's pathetic and there are far more important things.

There is also the difference in how things stand after the war. I can't imagine that being a refugee in a first world nation, is worse than being a POW in the hands of the Russian military, and that's if you're even recognised as valid POW and not treated as a mercenary. The Russians don't exactly have a stellar history in dealing humanely with those who have fought against them, and we'll likely see many Ukrainian men (and foreign volunteers) end up in Gulag style work camps.

The UN Equality mission rarely ever extends itself to dealing with male issues around the world, given token notice to issues like boys conscripted as child soldiers, but heavy investment/coverage of anything that relates to the plight of females. TBH That's the case with most organisations supposedly aiming to encourage equality, the focus is almost entirely on female interests.

Ask the UN.

I agree anyway, this kind of media commentary is needless and divisive. Not to mention tired - journalism must be the easiest gig in the world these days, just pump out this kind of rubbish. The standing of the profession is in the gutter in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I remember when I was young thinking the UN was important.

A bunch of self important, hypocritical arseholes...

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

A larger, more bureaucratic League of Nations.

And just about as useful as that was.

The interesting thing is that the focus on female issues has been around for decades, and nobody complained about commentary being a male vs female thing... it's only since men started pointing out the double standards and biases that we hear that we shouldn't make this into a gender war. I guess it was better when men just accepted that we should be punished for the way society was before we were born, or a society that we didn't have influence over shaping.

The posters are not the ones who started this narrative, it is the media who are suggesting women are the real victims. It is posters who are simply pointing out that women absolutely do not have it harder than men when it comes to war.

Women have it easier in pretty much every aspect than men in the west these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The full Hilary Clinton quote is

“Women have always been the primary victims of war. Women lose their husbands, their fathers, their sons in combat.”

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

and men lose their lives, fathers and sons......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,333 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

If the UN came out and said "let's reflect on the suffering of women in war" nobody would bat an eyelid and we'd all nod in agreement.

Saying women are suffering more than the combatants (who are primarily male) is a slap in the face for logic.

Why this type of nonsense is given any attention is beyond me. People in Ukraine are dying, families forced apart, mothers fleeing with children, men forced into the uncertainty of war with the potential for death hanging over them at all times.

This is yet another attempt to crowbar issues into this conflict that have precious little to do with it. Similar to the constant "this happened because Donald Trump" type crap that's floating around online these type of issues are only important to those who choose to poison themselves with the insanity of the social justice nonsense that just refuses (even in the face of real human suffering) to stop pontificating and shut the hell up.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭iptba

Let’s break it down:

If you’re a child, boy or girl, you’re equally affected if your father dies (though at a stretch, some might argue if a girl loses her mother, it’s worse for her than a boy as she might benefit from a role model of the same gender who understands her better so similarly one could argue that it is marginally worse for a boy to lose a father, but that’s a stretch);

If your sibling dies, you’re pretty much equally affected if you are their brother or sister.

If you’re a parent, it is very sad to lose a child whether you are the mother or father.

Many men are single when they die in a war, so that’s clearly worse than for a single woman with no connection to the dead man

Many women who are in a relationship of some sort with a man who dies will be able to go on to get into a new relationship including sometimes a marriage with another man (or indeed woman, if they are bi) so the outcome is a lot less bad than for the man who died.

Then you have women who don’t go on to have a serious relationship after the death. That’s a tough loss but it’s still not as bad as dying. And indeed (not sure how to put this tactfully), they could always take their own life if in the odd situation which they find life intolerable following the death of their partner.

So I don’t think this claim

“Women have always been the primary victims of war. Women lose their husbands, their fathers, their sons in combat.”

stands up to scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I was listening to the BBC World Service, or maybe it was BBC 4 the they other day, where they did a report, in conversation with a Russian woman in the UK, who was talking about how British people are being 'racist' towards Russians, because of the Russian invasion. Well I'm sorry but that's just tough luck. And it was all trivial stuff, like just comments in the street. It's not like anyone was beaten up or murdered or anyone ignited a bomb killing Russian children. Trust the BBC to take this angle. Makes me sick, it really does. BBC 4 is one of the weirdest radio channels I've ever listened. to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭growleaves

They're being evacuated to safety, not 'hit hardest'.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,753 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The clowns in the UN must perceive it as…. ‘you can’t be vulnerable if you are dead’

the vast majority of people dying are men, that makes men more vulnerable and seemingly the UN just wanting to get involved in virtue signalling….

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

EVERYONE is hit hard by war, both males and females, young and old. There are no winners, only losers on both sides of the equation.

Listening to every bit of daft nonsense spouted by the press and attention seeking politicians doesn't imply that there's a need for a thread to be started about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Listening to every bit of daft nonsense spouted by the press and attention seeking politicians doesn't imply that there's a need for a thread to be started about it.

Not sure if that's right actually, although I agree with your first point.

I would prefer to be 'still alive' than dead though, even if life was tough.

To be fair, most Russians have no control over their government. Hell, even in democracies, we have limited real control over what our governments decide to do. Does that mean we should be held accountable for everything the government does? Was it fair that Irish people were forcibly associated with the IRA by many British people, and received racist abuse? No, it wasn't fair.. and it shouldn't be happening to anyone.

There is this push to punish normal Russian people for what their government has decided to do, which is completely wrong. The focus should be on the rich, the companies, the politicians, etc. Not attacking normal Russians. Oh, and there have been reports of violence in the US by Americans towards Russians living there. This is just the start btw.. that kind of violence will spread because of the attention that social media provides. Remember the violence done by teenagers showing their acts on TikToc? Now imagine if they could do the same to some average Russian people..

I'm curious.... what was the point of adding the remainder of the quote?

Do you agree with Hilary Clinton? Do you believe the omitted part of the quote added some extra nuance to justify the bias and sexism contained within that message?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,643 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Let’s break it down:

And indeed (not sure how to put this tactfully), they could always take their own life if in the odd situation which they find life intolerable following the death of their partner.

Yeah, I’m not sure your suggestion actually counters the idea that women are the primary victims of war when you’re casually suggesting that if they find life intolerable following the death of their partner, they could always take their own lives.

Shine on you crazy diamond 😂

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement