Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turned Down wellies - have they disappeared completely in day and age ?

• 11-03-2022 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Have Turned Down wellies disappeared completely in this day and age ? or do a few Lads still wear them ? All replies most welcome !!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭893bet

Jaysus I forgot about that. Used to have them as a young lad. Not that long ago really 25-30 years.

Most people have boots for summer these days.

Post edited by 893bet on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭minerleague

wellies seem to be more "plastic" now than rubber , hard to get them to turn down. A few used have them before, never see it now as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 John Farmer

Thanks for the reply, they were quite common 30 - 35 years ago.

i still wear them in the summer days, they only issue is to find a brand of wellies that you can turn down the tops easily !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭kk.man

Uncle used to wear them 40 odd years back..we as kids used to laugh at the trend...I tried it myself once and they cut the legs of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I know one lad who still wears them, he left north Kerry 50 years ago in body only, turns up to support his grandchildren at rugby matches every weekend, with the turned down wellies and a raggy bucket hat, he's a seriously wealthy man and as sound as you'd meet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭I says

Only fella I know that wears them now is 5ft2” and it’s to stop them cutting the bollox of himself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

You'd seldom see the like nowadays but there's an odd diehard still knocking about. I know of a few lad's that would cut the tops off an old pair of wellies to make something resembling a pair of boots for the summer. Why anyone would bother is beyond me but I see it often enough. I can't understand how anyone wears wellies unless necessary. There the most uncomfortable footwear and I'd have a proper pair of boots any day over wellies. I even spent more than usual on the latest wellies and my feet would still be killing after a few hours which never happens with the boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There was a lad in a town near by who had a big belly, short build.

A fellow was asking where he was one fair Day and was told go down the street til he came to a man with belly, balls and all in his wellingtons

• Registered Users Posts: 15 John Farmer

Does Jimmy Cricket not wear his famous wellies turned down ?

Advertisement