Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Discovery 4x12 - 'Species Ten-C' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

• 10-03-2022 10:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Discovery 4x12 - 'Species Ten-C' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Warning: This thread will contain spoilers for the episode. Spoiler tags will not be used, so if you don't want to be spoiled read no further.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

If you cut out the amount of time wasted on nonsense in the past 12 episodes I think it might be possible to cobble together a single, halfway decent episode. What idiot would go into a bloody corridor to have their secret collaborating with the enemy talk. Would no one else have wondered why, in the middle of making contact with the 10-C, the Earth admiral just wanders off for a bit? The entire section with talking through the ships trauma so they eventually realise that Reno wasn't on the ship, pointless. Get the ship to do a damn headcount. Working out the communication I found somewhat interesting, but why would you take Saru over the linguistic expert who actually broke the code. Liquorice saves the day, christ on a bike.

The entire story of this season has been the crew discussing their trauma over absolutely everything, and getting nowhere. The actual DMA story is barely secondary, it's just an excuse to have what the writers seem to think are poignant conversations. I honestly don't understand how this has been renewed for a 5th season. Presumably that's the season when we unpack the cats trauma. The writing is so frustratingly bad.

The entire ship is crewed and run by morons. If this is the way the Federation goes perhaps it would have been best to stick with the version shown in todays episode of Picard. No unpacking your emotions there...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Fantastic episode. I continue to have a major gripe about inaction from people to serve the plot (Reno should have whacked Tarka over the head when forcefield was down) and his Reno was missing for long is silly.

Having said that, great episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Did we need the yelling scene? No.

Did we need the heart to heart between Culber and Stammets? No.

Liquorice?

Don't get me started on the cowardly General? Does the computer not monitor all communications?

The obvious plot of the next episode is that Burnham et al get through to Species Ten-C, catastrophe is averted, the General gets her comeuppance, Tarka gets his too and we have a long, overwrought scene between Burnham and Book on pain and loss and trust and love and it will be whispered, earnest and sincere. We will then have a cliff-hanger to get everyone through to Season 5.

It's just appalling.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I thought it was just about okay, but still seriously flawed.

It did at least attempt to convey the difficulties in dealing with a genuinely alien species, and not someone who just has a forehead prosthetic. In this at least we see some attempt at being though provoking, and dealing in hard sci-fi concepts. Except we've seen it all done before in Arrival.

The Booker/Tarka subplot remains predictable.

But it's all just so plodding. The needless shouting scene was pointless filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭eadrom

It was fine but jesus this back half of the season is like an episode in slow motion.

It kills me that this is probably their attempt to do things "more like Star Trek" with the diplomacy, first contact, communication barriers, team work and ready-room meetings. But they just look so bored doing it. Bored or sanctimonious, or both.

Anyway, relatively good episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,671 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Not a bad episode if you forget all the crap in between - liked the working out of the communications

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That was so freakin compelling! I really want to see the next episode! Damn it!

I'm guessing there's gotta be a shot of the interior of the Ten'C bubble!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

That was actually a pretty good episode.

A cross between Arrival (The RADICALLY different language structure, even the large large rectangular Docking-bay replicating the screen in Arrival (Example below is the best I could find but it INSTANTLY struck me as being very similar) and "Children Of The Mind" (Genetic/organic communication)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Finally, those years of concentrating on their emotions pays off.

Having a prisoner held in the same place as where you're planning everything doesn't seem like a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This would have made a pretty good, 20 min shorts episode. Sooo much filler and non-sense stuff.

When everything is so urgent, there is just so much time wasted its unreal. The writers seem to think that people are watching this for the emotions rather than the plot or any sort of logic, but maybe thats who they are appealing to these days...but then why call it Star Trek?

X is about to go do something urgent

Y says "oh and X............<dramatic pause>........good luck"

every fricken time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Did we get to see the aliens yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

We saw smoke and flashing lights that somehow Saru decided was a being coming in....

I think I made out a large creature, though maybe that's like seeing shapes in clouds.

I do see other places where people are really enjoying the series though looking at IMDb this episode is the only one this season higher than 6.0 at 6.4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,984 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This episode at least did have the kernal of an interesting idea though. Like, it actually felt somewhat like sci-fi for a change. It could have been told in half the time with better pacing and less waffle, but there was a decent A and B story. I'm clingin' to anything I can here! Cut the superfluous nonsense, move things along, have a bit of urgency, and they might get somewhere. I don't foresee those sorts of changes ever happening though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭somuj

Nonsense to think any creatures that are aware of their own existence, are destroying another Galaxy for resources. We just became advanced.

Oh we exist. Harvest all we can, and as far as we can 😁😁

Oh look, critters out there. Let's chat

Flabergasting is they have not met any life form in their galaxy like us before.

Even more Flabergasting is they prob did and wiped them all out because didn't understand them. Maybe wiped out all our carbon life. Prob don't even comprehend our existence.

So curious about us 🤔🤔

Ridiculous. Our technology, our atmosphere.

Can't spot molotov cocktail 😭

Bend dark matter to their will.. Take a bunch of clowns from discovery to put them on replica of dicovery...

Yeah, urgency always seems to be lacking in this. Can't remember the last time anything seemed to have to be done quickly. There's a ticking clock against Earth but you wouldn't think it from the way they're talking slowly, expressing feelings, etc. It reminds me of a video game where you're told the world is in trouble but spend your time going off doing anything but the main story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Advertisement