Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Failed engine - scrapping a car?

• 11-03-2022 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I have a 2010 Golf Plus (1.6 diesel ~160k km) that I only bought a bit over 2 years ago when I got my first job after college. The car broke down once, injectors, fixed them, broke down again two months after, injectors again. The other mechanic tried everything, changed all 4 injectors still couldn't get it right and said it is something inside the engine block. The advice he gave, would be to tow it to the main dealer and see if they can do anything. They obviously didn't sound too interested when they heard the problem, and said stripping down the engine would cost more in labour than a new engine (~8k) and that it could cost me a lot before they even figure out what the problem is. The mechanic spent over 2,3 weeks working on it, and is not gonna charge me any labour cause he couldn't fix it, but about 80 quid for some expenses and parts he changed along the way.

Since it's my first car, I'm obviously quite disappointed, I had very different expectations for this car, but I'm quite unsure what do to.

Is it worth trying to get it to the main dealer (towing cost + all the costs till they get to the point to potentially tell me the same?), or should I get the car written off and scrap it / sell it for parts? How much would such a car be worth (everything is in a quite good condition, but the engine)? Considering I bought the car for 5k and I still have 1k left on the loan. Do any dealers take broken cars if so, any recommendations?

Just looking for some opinions and advice from anyone who's been through something similar. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

You can try an engine change but it will still cost a fortune and not worth it. Do not go to a main dealer you would be talking about e100 an hour to even just open the bonnet!

Fine a good local diesel indie guy, but it sounds like you went down that route already......

Google car scrappage that collects or if you have time you could get some good money for parts which will get you some money but I'm afraid to say go buy another car is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

You could find a new engine and a mechanic to replace which a friend recently did and cost him about 1200 all in but aside from that your best best is another car. What is your commute and typical drive distance each day?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

@afatbollix I had the same worry about the main dealer, thanks. What should I expect/aim for if scrapping it? 500, 1000?

@Lantus I was thinking of this as well. If I can get it repaired for around 2k, it might be worth it. Ideally, I wanted to drive it for 3 years on loan and then 2-3 more years without a loan. That was the plan at least. I got it for 5k, but similar cars are now selling for 6,7k. If I reliably repair it for 2k + 1k left on the loan and I drive it for another 2-3 years I'd be happy. One thing would be to repair it, the other for me to restore my confidence in it. But I can even sell it repaired for 5-6k in that case and still come off the better side than scrapping it?

I don't wanna sound like a dirty old diesel preacher, but my parents live across the country, 250km motorway drive, my sister lives 30 min motorway drive, my work is 15 min motorway drive, so diesel is kind of the most logical option for me. I thought of an electric as well, as I'm worried about extra charges and tax on diesels in the future. But I'm living in an apartment atm, so no access to a reliable charger. I can afford about a 15k car now, but I am unsure if it would be smarter to go with something around 10k with low mileage, and then change it again in a 5 years time when I hopefully manage to buy my own place and then I could go electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Only time I ever hear about golfs is when they give trouble and that is quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

@Nicke011 for reliability you cannot go wrong with a Dacia. You could get a 2018 duster with less than 50k on for under 15 thousand. Or a newer stepway. 2020 even! They are simpler cars but for peace of mind you can't go far wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Put it up on Done deal / adverts as repairable. Clearly call out the engine fault.

It's worth something to someone... who and how much is a bit beyond my wheelhouse.

Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Johnny Cage

If you need an engine I have a 2011 1.6 tdi bluemotion golf plus with cayd engine. Has low kms, basically was parked up and a rat chewed up all the wiring loom so is only fit as a doner car now.

Likewise if your getting rid of yours I might be interested and try an engine swap myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They’re notoriously problematic (had a few friends that had them, always problems) but on balance a few others that swear by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭phoebe!

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to scrap a car, where they give you a certificate of destruction? My car isn't worth repairing and I just taxed it so need the cert to get my tax back!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I think you would be best cutting your losses and sell it for whatever you can get. Try it on donedeal I'd imagine it might be worth a few hundred? The costs of putting it right could easily exceed a suitable replacemnt of a similar age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Yes, Felix Gormley in Cavan is very good. I got 170ish, collection was flawless, and even got to keep the battery forthe loss of a tenner. you won't buy a decent second hand battery for even 40. Certificate of Destruction arrived a week later by post.

Also try OCG Spares in Kildare. Try them on Donedeal, Adverts or website. You might get a bit more than just scrappage.

Advertisement