Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Ireland change its Neutrality policy?

Options
  • 08-03-2022 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭

Ireland has been militarily neutral since the foundation of the state. In light of the goings on in Russia and the European response to it, how would you vote in a possible referendum on the issue?

It's being discussed on a few other threads but I just wanted to stick up a poll to get an idea of what people think

For me personally, I'd like to hear the debate but at the moment, it would be a No.

Should Ireland change its Neutrality policy? 26 votes

Yes, abandon neutrality
    46% 12 votes
    No, maintain neutrality
    50% 13 votes
    Don't know
    3% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Ackh.

Neutral in name only. Just because we're not actively participating in armed conflict doesn't make us neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,644 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I don't see what it gains you, you already provide material aid to the US/NATO

We have a shed full of Javelin anti-tank missiles gathering dust, but we can't give them to Ukraine because it would compromise our neutrality. :rollseyes.

As another poster pointed out, we're basically neutral in name only. I'm not saying we have to immediately go join NATO, but we should be able to assist in any way we deem fit, and in whatever way is needed, not use legislation from a hundred years ago as an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,644 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Seems like a logical fallacy to disregard a piece of law just because of its age. After all, every piece of legislation is effectively younger than the Constitution, and it's illogical to complain the Irish Constitution is 'too old' to be valid.

100 years ago Ireland had seen a lot more war, maybe it was written for wise reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭MacDanger

FWIW, my position on it would be that while this current conflict might generally be considered to be a "just" war and the majority would probably support Irish involvement, many other wars (e.g. Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.) probably would not command the support of a majority.

As a neutral country, our choice to not particpate in wars is accepted (even if it may be viewed in a negative light by some) but if we are no longer neutral, I think it would be very difficult for us not get involved in wars involving the US (and the UK) considering our close ties to those countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

We've greatly weakened our neutrality in the last two weeks by flying large blue and yellow flags flying in the centre of Dublin.

Russia officially declared "all EU member states" as "hostile" on March 7th, three days ago.

Advertisement