Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Race pace 2022- How did you find your first outing??

• 07-03-2022 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

As per title. I'm looking forward to starting back racing in about 3 weeks time. For those who stepped out over the weekend, how did you find the pace. I'm monw interested in A3 but would love to hear others.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Did the Seamus Kennedy yesterday. Went better than expected.

My last open race was in 2019. Only did a handful of club races in 2020 and 2021 because of COVID and family commitments. Was an A2 but dropped down to A3 for this year as I'm not getting any younger. Did a decent enough winter but still abut 5kg heavier than I was pre-COVID.

Went into yesterday's race hoping to just get around and get some racing in the legs. Got in the break of the day at the start and stayed there until one of the surges on the last lap broke me. Was very happy with that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Done the Dublin Wheelers, I am way out of shape but as it turns out, so are most of the A3s and Juniors this year, certainly wasn't as tough as other years. Nonetheless, I did repeatedly lose the run of myself and go off the front and then fell off the back after sitting off the front for about half the first lap. This was more tactical stupidity than fitness of the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Racing Newbridge on Sunday, will report back

Still no start times announced. Any idea what time A3 was last year, 10am, 1pm???

12:25pm + 4 laps (69k)

Post edited by Whyner on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I hope you are right re fitness levels as i'm racing Sunday in Limerick.

Will report back on racing pace levels & hoping this year is far better than last year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

One example does not make a pattern but in previous years I have been on the rivet from the gun in that race. This year I am 10% heavier, a good bit slower and other than stupidly going off the front a few times, I would have easily stayed in the bunch if I could my ego in check.

• Advertisement

Raced in Limerick yesterday with intructions to race agressively & try make an early break. Gave it what i had for 15k but no joy then a group skipped away while i recovered of course. Plenty of us made various attempts to get across but nothing would stick. One junr jumped on lap two and i amd a valiant attempt to follow him but was 10 yards short unfortunately ( he ended up third). What was left of the bunch came for places 8-10, had i known this id have thrown a better effort in the gallop.

All in all a savage days work with headwinds & a crosswind section on each lap which was crazy stuff. Legs are good so more than pleased with the winter, roll on the next races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Newbridge A3 yesterday was windy too, biggest effort was up the first climb with each subsequent climb slower. I should have known that everyone else was hurting 😀. Solid first outing so no complaints. Power profile attached

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

I saw the Laragh Classic is no longer on the CI calendar for April 3rd which is a big pity if its gone, one of the few races us smaller guys can target. Anyone know any details if its been moved or cancelled or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if Drumm Cup for April 3rd is going ahead?

Advertisement