Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job offer (through recruitment agency) should I try and negotiate salary?

Options
  • 07-03-2022 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hello all, I have just been offered a new job which I am delighted with. The job application was through a recruitment agency and all my correspondance with the company has been through the recruiter (apart from the interview of course!) The salary I have been offered is bang in the middle of the scale mentioned in the job advertisement and is the exact same as I am currently on (I gave them this figure in the interview - in hindsight I should have added a bit to my real figure!) The new job has some extra benefits, but I would also be losing some benefits (namely phone and fuel) so on balance I will be a little worse off. Is there usually scope for negotiation with offered salaries? Should I try and negotiate a little extra? I would say the salary is about average for the role and I feel I am well qualified and have relevant experience. If I were to negotiate, would I do so through the recruiter? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Rustyman101

Only chance you will get to get a proper raise, try asking for 5k in 12months time not a hope, make a relevant case and ask, if they say no up to you then but it's an employee market in lots of areas now!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

First lesson of job interviews is never tell them what you're on. If they ask, just say "My salary expectation is X" - and make sure X has some padding on it to leave room for them to negotiate you down slightly.

In your particular instance I would 100% be going back to the recruiter with the figure you would accept an offer of. It's his job to do it and it's in his interests as his commission is likely a percentage of your gross salary.

Based on what you've said here I actually have no idea why you'd accept the current offer unless it's in a highly sought-after company.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Navy blue

Thanks for the comments. Dial Hard, it would be a more prestigious company than where I am currently and it has more room to grow and progress. Also it's much more local to me and job close to me don't come by that often as I live in the sticks! Should I go back to the recruiter saying I want X figure or just say I was hoping for more? Also should I ask for more than I want in the expectation that they will try to barter me down? (We're not talking massive sums of money here, only a few grand)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Definitely ask for more now, if you have some good achievements/ experience no harm in bringing it up you know.... Given my knowledge of X, or success with Y, I feel what I have to offer merits a higher basic... If they bring up your current salary, you could say you are due a review so are expecting an increase if you don't move.... Or even that your current compensation hasn't been increased to reflect the additional responsibilities/ achievements/ etc... or some version of that as might be relevant and that you feel comfortable with. The recruiter is usually paid as a % of the basic salary so it's not like they have an interest in keeping the figure lower. Worth having a conversation with them, you should get an idea if there is wiggle room based on their response.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You absolutely should be asking for more. It would be a simple conversation to my mind, "I am interested in the role but the package offered is less than I am currently on, why would I move for less money?"

If you don't value yourself then nobody else will, and don't forget that they are not doing you a favour here, they obviously want staff so it is a 2 way negotiation.

Ask for a reasonable amount within their pay scale that you would be satisfied with. And if you don't get it just consider what it says about how they value you to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Navy blue

Thanks for the replies, I just wanted to update and say that I did discuss it with the recruiter and I got a slight increase. It's not a huge amount, but I am happy with the package overall so have accepted. Thanks again for all the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭suilegorma

A lot of companies budget and offer at the midpoint of the payscale but def there's wiggle room. If as you say opportunities don't come around too often you plan to stay so def ask for more. Make it though like you're seeing market rates for the role rather than I just want more than I currently make.

Advertisement