Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ford Ranger Wildtrak Thought's?

• 06-03-2022 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Well Lads,

Parents were considering buying a Ford Ranger and I just said id do a bit of research about them and try gather some public opinions of them so,

They just mainly want a change from a car as its just awful driving on back country roads with one so. Was considering the likes of a Audi Q5/Q7 but the money on newer ones is just madness. To much to consider as it will just keep loosing value. I have brought up the Bmw x5 jeeps but they just will not go with bmw for some reason, heard bad things about them but that's another discussion altogether.

Anyways,

Anything major to look out for with the Rangers? or is it just typical upkeep maintenance.

3.2 /2.2/2.0 Which ones the best to go for?

Automatic or manual? (from what i seen so far most newer ones are automatic anyways so might not be much of a choice)

It will be used for mainly commuting to work with the odd bit of towing a horse box nothing to strenuous. If It was me Id just go for the 2.0l as current fuel prices are going mad at the moment. But im interested to hear what ye have to say about them

Cheers 😉

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭marty whelan

Think 2.0 has same power as old 3.2? They're not great for on-road driving to be honest, I'd keep searching for something else. 2.2 must be an awful nah altogether, definitely stay away from that

Absolutely no comparison between ranger and the others you mentioned btw, ranger is a work vehicle, which it is fine as.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭LynchyBai

Yeah I havent heard a whole pile about the 2.2 nor seen a lot of them so could be the case. I have heard tho that the 3.2 is said to be quite laggy when taking off. Compared to the 2.0 which is said to be really responsive

I really want to stress that it is a bad option as a "road" vehicle, unless they actually have some reason to want it for functional purposes, which it doesn't sound like they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Go for automatic anyway, geared for towing so in manual you will be in third before you get going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭LynchyBai

Yeah I can see your point. It would definetly have its uses from time to time as a "Work" Vehicle not and again, but id say 70% of the time would be spent commuting to Dublin for work with it so Just in terms of fuel consumption if it would be worth it at all.

Nope, not worth it. Too big for tight country roads, too big for city driving, inefficient, loud, not great on the road (terrible actually).

Nothing against them, it's probably best in it's class, they're just work vehicles though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Agree with the above, the father in law has one. I drove it for around 12 months when we were building our house. His is 2.2 manual. I would not like it to be my only car, tiny power band, notchy gear change, very firm suspension, crap sound deadening and a hoor on diesel.

Rear seats wouldn't be great for consistent use either, the rear bench and backrest are at near 90 degrees.

A grear yoke to work, no bother pulling an overloaded 8x4 full of gravel or blocks or whatever across a mucky field with the bed full of bags of cement at the same time but shite at pretty much everything else.

His has been fine but the 2.2 is supposed to be fairly unreliable too.

Different ballpark entirely to an X5 or Q5 or whatever. Sounds like you need a Tucson really.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The brand new Kia Sportafe is what they need. When I say brand new that is what it is a totally brand new car only out this year. Quality in side is as good as anything from Audi or BMW and it will handle rough roads no problem too. Just do not go for any spec lower than the 3. A 3 spec or above and they will have everything they ever want plus Kia's unique 7 year warranty and reliability too. My Dad has had 3 of them and never a moments trouble with them.

The new one is very classy inside. The looks outside might not be for some but once inside it's worth it and even if your parents did not like the outside they will love the classy dash, the style and the quality. All they have to decide then is which engine to go for.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 2.2 is the engine from the Transit and hasn’t got a great reputation. The 2.0 probably feels responsive because it’s got so many gears (ten of them) that apparently gets tiresome after a while

Unless they need a work type vehicle, I can’t see that it’s a great choice for someone just wanting a bit of height. AMKC above is on the right track with the likes of a Tiguan/Karoq etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement