Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are we heading for a fuel shortage?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

What a bizarre thought. Criticising someone in political party that has been encouraging a reduction in the use of fossil fuels for our own short-term health and long-term environmental benefit! Perhaps if we had led dependency on fossil fuels, we wouldn’t be in the bind were are today?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Good news lads. I've just placed some buy orders on oil. That should herald a certain collapse in oil commodities.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

“Encouraging” lol. He and his ilk have done fcuk all apart from load on even more taxes that just effect the worst off the most and make us all poorer. The so called Green Party are a disgrace. Sooner they are got rid of the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I’m sorry but I have to disagree here. Leaving sleepy Eamon alone for a minute, where is the infrastructure to accommodate the million EV’s the government want on the roads by 2030?

Maybe the forecourts are jumping on the gravy train to a degree but they have no control of the price of a barrel of Brent Crude. That price is rising rapidly and for me ANY move by the troika government here to reduce the pump price must happen. My local Centra has upped the price of 2 litres of milk from €1.49 to €2.00 a litre overnight. That’s a 33% increase. That’s only an example.

The same greens are party to BBC a government who stopped peat production and now we import the product from Germany.

Now that is bizarre.

Probably getting to a point where people need to reduce non essential journeys- I haven’t really seen it. Since lockdowns ended I’ve found traffic to be mental

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yea, lets keep fcuking up the planet for your kids and grandkids!

Bullshite. You want to go back to the Stone Age off you go. If you think piling taxes on already overtaxed essential fuels is going to “save the planet” then you are even thicker than your posts suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Lady on the radio the other day was saying she'd have to walk a half hour to work instead of her 10 minute car journey. Oh the humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

taxation will be only one policy thats required to move us away from fossil fuels, but its clearly obvious, it alone wont work, states need to step up and make sure alternatives are easily available to all, in order to do so, we have yet to achieve this, we may not even know how to do it, but we better find out quickly, or...... we dont need to go back the way, we cant, a fossil fuel free future is a must, but alternatives must be functional and affordable....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,017 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Do you think our kids and grandkids are too thick to be able to deal with the planet they live on ?

This is what annoys the feck out of me about the climate debate.

This notion that the current generation know what's best for future generations, that the current climate is what climate should be, and the assumption that future generations will for some bizarre reason not be able to handle or adapt to the environment or climate they live in.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

• Advertisement

That’s what people need to do if it makes a difference. Also kids being dropped to school and everywhere is a huge thing. Lots of them could walk or get buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Traditionally when a petrol station orders fuel the price was set twice a week. I think Tuesday & Friday.

That has now stopped, and fuel is being priced daily.

Diesel is going up quicker than petrol because it's refined faster, petrol will take a few days to catch up on the increases, that's why we're seeing a parity on petrol/diesel price at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I think his point has gone over your head! i.e. anyone who has a half hour walk to work should be walking all along and not just now because of a fuel difficulty,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭enricoh

Has she a gofundme on the go? I'd like to help if possible!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,075 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Or massive amounts of wind we could use to produce green hydrogen that could be stored for when there’s no wind to be converted back to electricity and mixed with gas when needed.

It’d be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That's putting the cart before the horse though. As you state yourself we have yet to achieve this carbon neutral from of energy production yet the taxes are being lumped on thick and heavy already. Penalising people for using something when there isn't a viable alternative is a crazy strategy.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Filled my ol gal up in Donerail this morning...... ONLY 2.5CENT difference between diesel & petrol..... the Sunday afternoon 'spin' to the seaside looks to be goner

Waves of hysteria and panic seem to be de rigour now unfortunately. Everyone remembers the nonsense with bog roll two years ago. But with fuel hitting €2.00 per litre it it’ll soften a lot of coughs- driving will become more limited to essential only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

I honestly don't want to be fear mongering people but everything I said is a fact, People just have to think logically on what the result will be (in my opinion not good). I am mearly stating the facts reported so people that may not know about farming and how food produce is produced will be affected by a Maniac called Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Home heating oil (kero) went from 94¢ to 150¢ in the space of 10days , that's a 60% increase.

If that 60% applies to petrol and diesel... Keep your eyes and wallet peeled for more increases at the pump.

Diesel will easily hit 2.25 and petrol 2.40

Add that to refineries and ports refusing russian ships and non russian ships with Russian fuel.

Vasoline will be getting expensive, and that's something we'll all be needing when topping up the car.

Crude is expected to hit$150 to $200 a barrell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 claw50

I ordered 800 litres kerosene with Naughtons (Annacotty Limerick ) on Fri 28th Feb (customer for over 11years) payment taken immediately & given delivery date of 5th Mar. All good until I got a call on 5th informing me I am no longer getting what I ordered & instead they would delivery 691 litres for same price. Appalled & disgusted at the way we are being treated. The only alternative being offered is a full refund as “they are unable to provide the service I paid for. Yet they are still supplying kerosene. I WILL NEVER USE OR RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY AGAIN…..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,075 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

That's some serious "in your face" gouging...... or to use a word from the Celtic tiger days....." gazumping". So they actually took payment on 28th Feb & then decided to keep 109ltrs of what was technically " your" oil??? Definitely DON'T go near them again

It'll be interesting to see if government will plough ahead with the next round of 'green/ Greta t' taxes on 1st may....i think 2.5% is their next bonanza..... some would say they can't possibly drive on with yet another hike/ tax but I'd put nothing past this threesome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

You're forgetting that climate change is a slow process, but for the last few decades it took speed. We currently are living unsustainable way so a planet is in danger. What you're saying is basically, ignore the problems we are creating now which will affect our children's life in future. But we need to act now, not to ignore and hope for the best leaving a bunch of problems for children. Sounds selfish and not well informed. We need to look forward and plan ahead, not just enjoy the goodies today and leave exhausted planet for future generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭vegandinner

Hopefully they use all the extra tax to subsidise public transport, electric vehicles and charge points, need to break our over dependence on imported fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭MakersMark

More likely to go on forever dole payment to long term layabouts unfortunately, rather than to the people who pay their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

This is what will happen, another Christmas bonus or something like that.

You're reacting too much emotional and irrational, putting your own needs in front without an understanding of the context. Their supply price changed and they need to increase your price too. Prices change drastically now. Better be happy they aren't increasing faster as in Russia nowadays where anything can cost more just within hours, not even days. Normally, if not the global crude oil price unpredictable increases, you'd be right, but not this time. Arguing for that when there's a war in the same continent is disgusting and you should be ashamed of yourself.

• Advertisement

You're thinking it wrong. They most likely didn't have the end product in their tanks. Once received from a supplier, it was much more expensive. They are for profit, not charity, so they decided to follow the pattern and increase price. I'm sure there should be something in their T&C that a price may be adjusted before a delivery date. He even got a call and options! What else do you want? Company to use their own resources to please a client who will expect next time this to be done again? Fuel price will now go up constantly. They just need to amend their website to say something like 'estimated price with deposit' or similar. This would suggest that price change too rapid to give a total guaranteed price. Petrol stations are changing prices daily, some even twice a day and here we are talking about 5 days gap. it isn't hit oil yet as it hasn't been delivered yet, only a payment happened which secures a delivery (not a price). Guys, you're forgetting that when crude oil price is so unpredictable, you literally can't expect paying for fuel and getting it with same conditions after 5 days! That's not how fuel prices work.

Advertisement