Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension costs

Options
  • 25-02-2022 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭

Hi all, asking for my brother. He got an extension there done over the last 5/6 months and every worker the contractor has hired has has hooked onto his ESB and his bill is now an additional 400/500 Euros over that period of time. Now he would of let this go but the builder is trying to add additional costs on the slightest bit of extra work such as hanging a light and trying to get more money for elements of the job that were documented as being part of the job. Is he in his rights to ask the builder to cover the cost of the additional ESB which is definitely due to the works completed by the builder and he can prove it due to the comparison in units used from the same period last year? There was nothing in the contract about them using his ESB.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

Would have assumed if i ask a builder or trade person to come do work i would provide the Electricity/Water and even the Tea or Coffee so think its a non runner.

As for the costs element, if the extension is finished and is close enough to budget i would pay the builder and be very happy its not double. The cost of materials is crazy out there and builders are having to have awkward conversations about clients paying extra for items they previously would have done for free. The reason being most of these jobs where quoted months ago and they are losing there socks on the jobs so any bit extra they can get is needed.

And when i say extra often the builder is working for free to absorb the extra costs and not shaft his subcontractors so the Extra is the only payment they will get for there effort on the whole job

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Well just to throw this back I had 2 building jobs done and both builders had there own generator and my bro said one of the subcontractors had their own generator. Remember we are all running the same race when it comes to inflation. Also a builder does not get out of the bed for less than 15% lets not cod ourselves the prices have not gone up that much in the last 4/5 months that he is losing 15%. Things have risen but not to that extent. So this cost is a cost that the employees of the builder have racked up and IMO should sit squarely with the contractor. If he wants to ask his sub contractors to cover it that's his business

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

They'll have their own generators for when power is cut but ordinarily I'd say builders would be using the power on site. Unless otherwise agreed. If you ask them to supply the power for the building of the extension you are going to end up charged and marked up for it anyway.

So much of a muchness

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Power and water provided by the building owner.

you would not have a generator running on a small domestic extension. I have never seen one in my years on hundreds of small domestic sites.

In saying that, I’m noticing a lot more battery operated tools, particularly the carpenters, but all their batteries are charged on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Saw a tradesperson with a very nifty gas cylinder powered generator recently.

Had it in the flatbed of his crewcab jeep.

He said he uses it with jobs in rural areas with no power nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Op what does the contract say?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Using power onsite is the norm. Wouldnt make sense not to allow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I've never heard one person gripe about contractors using the power on site.

First time for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭irelandrover

How would comparing this years and last year's units prove what the builder used? It only shows that more was used. Not who used it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

On large projects (eg over 5 million, maybe 2 million if a public project) it would be built into the contract that the builder has to fit a meter if connecting to the electricity or take a meter reading if taking over the full building. This wouldn't happen on smaller projects, either private or public. Obviously on a new build project no matter how small when no power is on site the contractor has to supply his own with a generator but this would be taken into account when pricing the project.

Unless it was written into the contract and metered at the start your brother won't be getting anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Have heard it all now, wanting to charge a builder for using electricity lol. This had to happen in the great state of Cavan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭scwazrh

If a customer tries to catch a builder out to pay the esb bill without prior agreement then the customer may prepare himself to get shafted with the extras .The saying of more bad customers than bad builders rings true here.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭theboringfox

I will hopefully be starting extension project in a few months. Had a costing done pre submitting planning. I would not have even thought to ask about elec. I would take it as given if elec stays connected etc that I am paying it. That seems fair to me.

Advertisement