Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newly built social homes sitting idle for over 8 months in Wexford

• 04-03-2022 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭
    M

More madness, families are refusing to move in to newly built social homes and a professional mediator has been appointed to resolve their 'dispute'. What kind of an out and out banana republic are we living in, sweet jaysus? Refusing a brand new house should put you to the back of the Q and perhaps a lifetime ban on being offererd social housing.

A professional mediator has been appointed to assist discussions between Wexford County Council and a number of families who refused to move into newly-built houses at Airhill in Belvedere Road, which have now been lying unoccupied for over eight months.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/wexford/news/mediator-called-in-to-deal-with-impasse-over-vacant-homes-in-wexford-town-41394124.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Why are they refusing to move in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Why the secrecy? Seems very odd.

If they point blank refused they'd be offered to others. I'm wondering it it travellers looking for horse boxes or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

There would be plenty Ukrainians more than glad of them and willing to pay an affordable rent also once they'd get setup in jobs compared the dole lifers who will get it for €30/week and probably thrash the place after 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

Are they travellers who won't move in because of a lack of space for horses or something like that?

Edit. Yep.

Fuckin knew it.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/wexford/news/brand-new-wexford-houses-remain-idle-despite-being-turned-down-by-traveller-families-41055226.html

Was with you at the start then you went all 'old man shouts at cloud'. Plenty of low income workers would jump at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

No mediation needed, these wasters should immediately lose the houses and go to the back of list for another offer. Entitled bastards.

Although, I do wonder why they should remain on the list at all when they've refused such a place.

I get the need (sortof) to provide social housing to certain groups, but if they're offered somewhere which is entirely liveable and refuse... just let them find, and pay for a place of their own, like the rest of us have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,654 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Seems obvious from another article linked to in the same article you linked to, why the families are unwilling to move into accommodation which is only being provided on a temporary basis by the Council while it is the Council who appears to be stalling on providing suitable accommodation for the families needs -

The families involved expressed major concerns over some of the conditions which were to be imposed on them upon taking up residence in the new homes and informed the council that they would rather remain on the Park site until the group site housing scheme is provided.

It’s the Council appears to be at fault here, not the families who are refusing temporary accommodation which if they took it, would mean a further delay in providing them with suitable accommodation under an already existing housing scheme -

The state of the art homes on Belvedere Road have been left idle while negotiations are ongoing with families currently occupying an illegal halting site at Park. Despite the families having rejected the homes in writing, Wexford County Council have persisted in trying to persuade them to take up residence in the Belvedere houses on a “temporary basis”, until a group housing scheme they are entitled to under the Traveller Accommodation Plan is put in place. 

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/wexford/news/update-imminent-on-brand-new-belvedere-houses-left-idle-for-months-41239476.html

Should be removed from the list and never entertained again, no matter what

hmm interesting. I want to be housed by the state, with my extended family in one location too

• Advertisement

Fcuk that traveller accommodation plan. It's a load of boll1x that they can refuse a house because it doesn't have room for their horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What would usually say about a buffer who refused a house because it doesn't have room for their dog?

What's a buffer?

Travellers want to be treated equal yet want special privileges too (space for their horses). They are either equal or they are not.

I don't mean to be hard hearted here but either you need a house or you don't need a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

And one begs the question why halting sites that were provided are no longer up to scratch? Because they are turned into no go areas...almost war zone like.

On another note....people shouldn't get social housing for almost free. A woman I know has a two bed house to herself for 25euro a week? Afaik she's getting social welfare and does the odd paid and registered work...so maybe 400 euros aweek. Surely she should be paying 100+ rent.

And families that are earning or not should be paying at least 1/3 of income in rent.

Tis a great country Ted.

But that said, these recipients are probably spending the welfare and earnings locally..so it mostly goes around..if you get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Fcuk your council housing, I've a horse outside,

And fcuk your A2 BER's I've me horse outside,

Fcuk your two grand a year rent, I've a horse outside,

And fcuk your housing lists, Cos my horse is outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I’m not sure that you really understood equality. Are you saying that wheelchair users should just make do with houses with steps at the entrance, just so we can treat everyone equally?

Not at all what I'm saying and you know well that's not what I'm saying. But just to humour you, a wheelchair user physically needs a ramp to access the house. A traveller doesn't need a horse to access the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

My blood boiling on hearing about this outrageous carry on, I had my suspicions what was going on and it's now confirmed.

When is someone in government going to have the courage to say, enough.

What these people looking for🤔 Adjoining stables and grazing land, perhaps an area to park up mobile homes 🤔

I'll bite my lip before I get in trouble but this is just beggar's belief even apart from the housing waiting list and housing crisis generally, it's actually sickening,

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭bigroad

This is the country we live in where wasters get everything and working people get screwed at every turn.

• Advertisement

So just to clarify, you understand the principle of sometimes needing to treat people differently to achieve equal outcomes?

I'm going to say it as clearly as I can.

Mr. Wheelchair user. We have to provide you with a house. Here's your house and here's a ramp for you to access it.

Mr. Traveller. We have to provide you with a house. Here's your house. You don't need a horse or a ramp to access it so we are providing neither.

Here Mr. AndrewJRenko. We have to provide you with a house. Here's your house. You don't need a horse or a ramp to access it so we are providing neither.

Here Mr. Traveller. If you have a wheelchair, we'll provide you with a ramp to access your house. You're still not getting us to provide facilities for your horses.

What has equity got to do with horses?

Well done, Andy lad! That's exactly the kind of woke nonsense that your tinpot gods Bacik and O'Riordán would pat you on the head for - and maybe even buy you a choc ice. Hopefully the travellers will be able to provide a nice stall for you among all the other donkeys in their stables.

Great to see that we’ve moved on your understanding of equality. That’s good progress for a Saturday afternoon.

Now how did you work out that stables for horses are the blocking issue here in Wexford?

Enlighten me then. What's the hold-up?

What would be a good reason to you for it to be acceptable for travellers to refuse to move into those houses?

I wish I'd a photo of a 6 bungalow development in a town in the Midlands, built to high spec about 12 years ago for the "Ethnically Recognised cohort" . If people saw what it's been turned into, there'd be absolute uproar, it's actually on full view as trains leave the town in question and its outrageous, so bad the local authority has just abandoned it from what I've heard, a sespit, so to speak .

Windows , Doors taken out, Roof slates missing , one bungalow practically burnt to the ground , I'm told Cooper piping removed along with every appliance that was installed on completion.

Outside each bungalow, A mobile home parked in driveways and more scattered around the development essentially the bungalows cleared out and abandoned and destroyed.

The green area now, is essentially a landfill dump and in another area, pony's tied up.

These homes were built at enormous cost and have essentially been destroyed and yet we hear the do gooders and Pavy point moaning and whinging about the standards at halting sites, again supplied at enormous tax payer cost.

You'd have to wonder about those on the waiting list ,living near the development in question , they must be absolutely livid and sickened by this shenanigans. Mediation my hole, give these homes to people who will actually appreciate them and dare I say have been waiting far longer than the Cultural Cohort being given these properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Perhaps these houses should be taken by someone who will move in right now and those rejecting them can have a one to one consultation with Dermot Bannon as to what their individual requirements are for their brand new council house.

How does providing a house to, say Travellers, achieve an equal outcome? They're contributing less to society economically, while gaining economic benefits that are not available to the majority... on both sides there's a skew in comparison to the majority, and, in any case, there's no indication that such help does provide an equal outcome. So, there's an unavoidable gap for both equality and equity. no?

Does he do Stable's , conversions or mobile home extensions 🤔 😏

• Advertisement

So you’ve know idea what the hold up is, that’s what I thought.

I know absolutely nothing about what’s happening here in Wexford btw. That’s why I don’t pretend to know the problems or have the solution on this issue,

If, like me, you’ve no idea what is going on, maybe you shouldn’t be pontificating about it?

Advertisement