Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Office Professional 2021 - lifetime access 85% off $349 - $49.99 *(Judge for yourself)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

To update, I've gone for this (had Microsoft Office 2016), probably didn't need to but anyway...

All smooth - key within a minute, log in to your Microsoft Account (or create one), enter code and you get your official microsoft download link.

Installed over 2016 within a few minutes.

One thing - got charged $61 as I put Ireland - perhaps you'll get away with $49 if you say USA, not sure if it will contradict against your microsoft account or not...

Probably someone will tell me I could have got this cheaper, or didn't need it. But at least it's official and permanent.

This comment sums up these licences pretty well, particularly in terms of your last sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭wassie

Its a deal but it's misleading. The ad has a graphic that says "Office 365" but this is not that.

Office 365 is a subscription based service where by you will always have the latest version. This deal is for the stand alone application. This release will not necessarily get new features like Office 365 in the future.

It all depends if that's important to you - for the vast majority probably not.

The term "lifetime" is also misleading. Essentially it is for the "life" of the product, until they release a new version - typically its on a 3 year cycle (2024/5).

That being said, it will receive updates until Oct 13, 2026 so definitely longevity there.

But it may not be able to take full advantage of the Windows 11 features in the coming years (again probably not a big issue for most users).

By the way, this is not directed towards the OP @podgeandrodge, it is a legitimate deal.

Its just that its a referral sale that is designed to be ambiguous enough to potentially confuse the less aware consumer.

EDIT: My comment should be read in conjunction with poster above.

To clarify Wassie, that lifetime, be it 3 or 4 years, does not mean the product stops working then, just that no support/updates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

USD61.49 with VAT, but better paying the extra few euros to not end up with a region issue IMO.

Less than 56 euro todays rates - thanks OP I've been wanting a licence and am unwilling to subscribe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭wassie

Correct. And I do bope it works out for you regardless, in which case it will be a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Lifetime?

what about if you change your pc/laptop?

will it work on Mac?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Lifetime: no subscription but when a newer version come out you will be left on this one eventually without updates or support.

I assume the one time purchase and 30 day activation period means I won't be able to move it to another computer, but given the newness of my laptop, for the discounted cost I'm ok with that.

When you click on the link you have to choose the Mac or Windows version.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cameraman

One other difference (from the subscription - Office 365 - version) is that you will only get the basic 5GB OneDrive allowance, or you can get 100GB by paying €2 per month. Office 365 includes 1 TB.

Once again, this may be of no interest/benefit to many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,724 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As always with these "Pro Plus" Office offers it's a case of "if it looks to be good to be true..."

Pro Plus is not a version of Office that's sold to ordinary users/consumers. It's sold to businesses and public bodies under an Enterprise agreement based on an agreed number of units (volume licensing). These will come with a key that has x number of activations associates with it (x being the number of units) and the agreement with Microsoft is generally renewed annually. These agreements may also come with Home Use rights for Employees to allow them install it on their personal device.

So what we have here is someone/some entity reselling keys that are not theirs to sell. Will they work? probably.... but they may expire at any time or be backlisted by Microsoft if whoever is reselling is found out at which point the buyer is out of luck. There'll also be no support for it and reactivating it if you need to reinstall or change machines down the line might be problematic if the max number of activations has been reached.

So really, buyer beware here. The better value option really for this and a lot of the other reasons mentioned would probably be a single or Family Office 365 sub, the big advantage probably being the 1TB of OneDrive space (per user - up to 6) that's included

• Advertisement

It's interesting that this is being sold by Techrepublic (academy) which I would think was reputable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,724 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Seems to be on Android Authority too..

It's very strange to be honest. Consumer versions are Office 365 (single or family), or Office Home & Business.

I'm surprised it hasn't been copped.

Advertisement