Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Red Cross Makes the Reds Cross: The Late Late Show-Friday 4th March 2022

• 03-03-2022 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭

In what is most assuredly NOT an effort by Hobbidy to absolve himself of his crass comments by jumping on the latest passing bandwagon, but rather a genuinely felt desire to help the bullied and oppressed peoples of Ukraine, this weeks show will promote the Irish Red Cross fundraising drive, for that beleaguered nation.

Personally, I'd be more excited and positive about this if it was anyone else but him doing it. Still, at least some good will come out of it, so I won't be too critical.

"This week's Late Late Show will be dedicated to the Irish Red Cross fundraising appeal for Ukraine.

The appeal hopes to raise vital funds for humanitarian assistance that will help those directly impacted by Russia's continuing attack on the country."

Hopefully he'll give the misery a break for at least one week and focus on the positive things that will be done with the funds, and that are already happening around the place , such as the gathering of food and essential supplies etc.

Or...maybe not. Ah well.

"Host Ryan Tubridy will speak with Ukrainians living in Ireland about their concerns and worries for their families who are still in Ukraine."

Our thoughts go out to Roisín, who has had to suffer just like the Ukrainians. TWO GIGS!

"Dublin band Aslan will be performing in support of the fundraiser and will reflect on the crisis, as well singer/songwriter Róisín Murphy who has postponed two dates in Russia."

Apropos of nothing, a Hollywood actor (?) will join the show to add his own thoughts.

"Hollywood actor Alan Cumming (Circle of Friends, GoldenEye, X2) will also share his thoughts on the current situation."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Looking forward to this. Some levity around this whole story is just what's needed to be honest.

Ryan can re-use his material from earlier in the week:

- Chicken Kiev for everyone in the audience;

- Air raid sirens to go off at random intervals to give everyone the heebie jeebies;

- Suggesting to refugees and recent widows / orphans that they might take his approach to issues like this and buy another property in connemara and just go fishing.

Hopefully the producers manage to find some people "who look like us" to talk to Ryan, otherwise we know he doesn't really see what's happening in Ukraine as much of an issue.

If its happening to people who don't "look like us" Ryan might find it hard to know when to pretend to empathise and sympathise with them and could start laughing and slapping his legs by mistake.

Post edited by PieOhMy on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

They're probably delighted they get to piss away another week without having to get any guests on. They're clearly struggling when they're wrapping up at 11 every week.

I can imagine the audience will be given mini Ukrainian flags as a show of solidarity (god I hate that word). Ryan might even wear a blue suit with a yellow tie!

Some amount of virtue signalling going on all the same. Loads of posts in my local fb page.."where can I donate goods to the people of Ukraine"...which are basically "look at me, I'm a good person, I care!" posts.]

When Russia bombs Ukraine they wake up, but they slept through the US bombing Lybia, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

So this is going to be a sickly sweet Ukrainian lovefest?? any chance a Russian in the audience could gatecrash it?? fingers crossed😙

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

I don’t remember this was a LLS thing for other wars

Is it because these Ukrainian people look like us “true statement from Tubs”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes, all Ukrainians are descended from the Irish as i'm sure Tubs will prove before the night is out😙

"a Kalashnikov for everyone in the audience"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭StevenToast

First off, Welcome back Pelvis...good thread title also....

Secondly, I would love if someone had the tubridy chicken kiev joke and the "looks like us" comment recorded......i would make a meme of it or something.... .. just to constantly remind people of the true tubridy......

That was the real tubridy on display.....his initial reaction to the invasion........no amount of fake sadness and kindness can hide that......

Tubridy couldnt give a fùck about Ukrainians...the ultimate spoofer...and he will take all the credit for raising money tonight just like the toy show.....

Lastly, the producers are relieved now they can pad out an episode of the LLS with this misery....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I fear a Vomit inducing spectle, After what was by any measure a disturbing week on the DA Live Line ( The Host & And some clearly disturbed and unhinged Cawlurs) , I'm not sure I could take Tubs pontificating tonight .

His quite shocking comment earlier in the week went unnoticed "Sure They Look like Us", albeit I'm sure it wasn't lost on the 100's of unwashed current refugees stuck here in appalling Direct provision centres from Syra Iraq and Afghanistan.

I'm absolutely all for supporting "All" refugees but the Hypocrisy has been galling and breath taking all week.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

And of course still asleep as Yemen bombarded daily by a US ally and best friend, Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud, charming chap that he is 🙄

I made this point over in the Russia thread and was accused of "whataboutery"...apparantly I'm as bad as Putin because I call that kinda stuff out. Biden made Qatar a major non NATO ally just a month ago and there's been 6500 slaves killed building stadia for the world cup.

O, I saw the reaction 😳 it would seem some don't want to be reminded of the hypocrisy afoot .

I'm all for offering whatever support is needed but equally we have to be honest and realistic. Some of what is being proposed is just unworkable, My own neighbours just welcomed a mother and two daughters from Ukraine (related to an employment colleague) and I've also let it be known my home available if they have friends in trouble. Bit we live very rural with limited services , public transport etc, it will be fine short term but this is not a short term crisis.

The hysteria during the week as gone into over drive, Government promising the sun moon and stars with no actual plan on how to handle an influx. There is no housing, the health system in shtye and to suggest the Social welfare system will just be opened up is utterly Ludicrous.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, Refugees from Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere, currently stuck in direct provision centres for years must be looking on at this and asking what did we do wrong.

The late debate last night asked very simply, are we in danger of creating a 2 Tier Refugee system and also what about those on housing lists for years and indeed those who can't even bye a home and barely pay their rent. There'll be serious trouble if it becomes apparent those on waiting lists are left waiting longer to accommodate Refugees.

I just feel there's this absolute rush to offer the impossible and we know full well , when people realise how much this is going to cost, attitudes will change very, very quickly. It's also galling watching Irish politicians going on world media saying Ireland is ready to open its doors, knowing full well our housing crisis and dare I say dreadful Refugee management system.

I do not want to sound insensitive but few people are asking very basic questions on the reality of Irelands ability to manage a large influx of Refugees, it's going to be a shambles.

I have seen you taking a few grenades over there pussyhands...i wouldnt agree with you on everything........but i will say this...give it a few months....there will be a new trend or cause for people to make a stand/take a knee/change a profile pic to show their "solidarity"....

• Registered Users Posts: 71,528 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Evening all! 😊

I'm confident that Ryan will do a great job tonight.

But just to be on the safe side...assume the position!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A country special.

A Valentine's special.

Now a war special. Lucky for the LLS that Putin invaded Ukraine, to give them some content.

A Ukrainian flag for everyone in the Audience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Get off yer soap box. Your not Jack Kennedy.

He has the sincerity and charisma of a wet Rag , Michael Martin joins the bandwagon, why am I not surprised 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,528 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

"They have a long night of terror ahead of them."

But enough about the LLS viewers.

Kidding!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭archfi

Tubridy's Address to the Nation.

It's becoming a fcking annoying habit

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭baldbear

I pray that the Ukrainians aren't able to watch this back home.

Another expert on fund raising (for himself) Christy Dignam 😳 can't abide him

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

jeez hes in his element. war and death!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Crazy word indeed, ffs!

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭sully123

Oh no, feels like reeling in the years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

I have had my first dose of diarrhoea, I thought I could make it to the first ad.

I've just come back from the Jax after that Intro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭archfi

Eh, they're all masked?

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Advertisement