Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RPZ rent increase

Options
  • 03-03-2022 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

Our landlady has contacted us to say she's increasing our rent. The increase is about 3 times what it says is allowed on the rtb calculator(https://www.rtb.ie/calculator/rpz).

Now, our rent is quite low as it hasn't been raised in a few years, so I don't begrudge her the increase at all. Furthermore we're moving out in the not too distant future so it's not going to have a major effect on us in any case, but I was wondering if she'll actually be able to get away with it? As far as I can tell things have always been above board, e.g. registered with the rtb, so if we don't make a complaint (which we don't plan to) can she just go ahead and increase by any amount she wants, or is there a system in place to prevent it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭MacDanger

It sounds like it is an invalid/illegal rent review but if the person who's expected to pay the increase (you) accepts it, then nobody else will know and nobody else will get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sadgilmore

If you are in a rent pressure zone then it can only be as per the Rtb calculator and has to be written formal notice with all required details(there is a sample form on Rtb website)

Outside a rent pressure zone I think they can do as they like (and usually use other rentals in the area to justify it)

But it's up to you challenge in any case for validity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭howiya

If registered with the RTB she will most likely register the rent increase with them under the details of the tenancy. We got a letter the other day from the RTB to that effect. There were no issues with our landlord's increase, all above aboard. I'm just pointing out that the RTB would be aware of the rent being paid if registered. I don't know what they do, if anything, with that information. I'd be very surprised if they acted without first receiving a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

simple answer No. The forms are quite clear (so it the calculator). Mine increases next month - completely above board aswell. Have they provided you with the correct form and calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

She cannot increase it more than the calculated amount, simple as that, so do the calculation yourself, save it as a PDF and send it to her stating that its the maximum increase you will be paying

If she then proceeds to attempt to evict you or anything, you will absolutely laugh at her in any type of civil case so don't worry about that either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

You state that your rent hasn't been increased in "a few years".

When was it last inceeased?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

About 6 or 7 years ago. So even with the illegal increase it's still well below market rate. On the one hand I'm thinking it's stupid to pay money I don't have to, but on the other hand the land lady has been very good to us (and us to her in fairness), so I don't think the increase is morally unfair even if it is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

What's the percentage increase. Calculator says the rent can go up by 6.7%.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

OP what is the amount as a percentage she is increasing it by?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

That is an unreasonable increase. Even under the old rules the limit would be 14%. You know your situation best and if it's worth the hassle.

Advertisement