Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Film Festival 2022

Options
  • 25-02-2022 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Slim pickings for me at this years Dublin Film Festival. The programme doesn't offer me any real highlights. Maybe a change in the programming team is needed to freshen this thing up? Or more likely my taste in movies just doesn't line up with the criteria for selection of films anymore.

Anyway I saw You Are Not My Mother, an impressively assured debut horror film from Kate Dolan.

What starts out as a drama about a bullied school girl living with her mother and grandmother soon turns into something entirely weirder when her mother disappears, only to return a day later somehow different.

Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist are obvious influences but You Are Not My Mother is very much its own thing. There are some genuinely unsettling images. The story is well paced and the performances are very good, particularly Carolyn Bracken, as the increasingly deranged mother.

It's a nice surprise to discover an Irish horror movie this well made and filmed near me on the Northside of Dublin too!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Slim pickings for the past number of years IMO. Red Rocket is the only one that stands out but that's been and gone at this stage.

Obviously cinema has been hit hard over the past couple of years but I find it odd that this festival started on Wednesday and I'm only hearing about it now. Maybe I'm just out of the loop but judging by the lack of replies here it seems like I'm not the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Red Roket is brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Bernedetta. Paul Verhoevens 'lesbian nun movie'.

Not quite as outrageous as I would have thought but it was still kind of bonkers and provocative in a light hearted way.

Good fun and the candlelit widescreen was suitably atmospheric.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Alan Cumming is closing the gala with his film documentary

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Steveimitation

Film festivals in Ireland often show movies that are coming out in cinemas shortly after anyways. Red Rocket is an example. It's released next Friday March 11th. In cases like that I wouldn't bother checking the film out at a festival. I'd rather catch something that I won't be able to see otherwise or at least not in the following few weeks.

I do think that the line-ups of Irish film festivals have taken a bit of a nosedive in the past few years though. Last year's Galway Fleadh and now the Dublin FF have offered very little to attract my attention. Granted covid will have affected things to an extent but I still feel like they are not quite nabbing the kind of quality films they have done in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 swiftmampi

They're all 3rd rate festivals with no clout internationally.

Advertisement