Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

velux window attic building reg question

Options
  • 02-03-2022 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

Hi All

do velux windows need planning permission to be installed at the front of the house? I always thought you did?

Can a velux window be fitted directly underneath a previous one or do you need to have a certain space between them.

tks

Best Answers

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Roof windows do require planning permission to the front of a house.

A Velux can be fitted directly below another one but you need a (Velux) support bar between and probably a new combined flashing around both.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You do require planning if the rooflights are on the front. You don't if they're on the rear, and it's actually a grey area if they're on the side but generally considered to not require planning. They do require planning to the front though.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Thanks - can I clarify re the support bar - Are you talking about 2 separate windows with a bar between them or 1 window separated into two ? We are in a bit of a quandary as what was fitted is in no way shape or form what we expected or spoke about. It looks absolutely horrendous with half the velux window blocked by a slab to create the tunnel. We are at the stage of trying to find a way of salvaging it.

Ideally the window would need to have been fitted straight under the one above - we were told this is impossivlble due to huilding regs - need to see if thats the case or if we can get a window made to fit - a lot of extra cost and upheaval

If the existing Velux is used for escape in event of fire (eg. if the attic room is a habitable room), then you can't put another Velux below it.

Who told you it was impossible to put a Velux under the existing due to building regs, and what was the reason they gave?

Its not a fire escape window. It was installed to give light to the attic stairs as otherwise it would be way too dark.

I should clarify in case Im creating the wrong impression - in order for it to work the way we wanted the new window needs to be higher. Right under the existing fitted window.

We were told this can’t be done as you need a certain amount of tile distance to insure its waterproof - as per building regs.

Post edited by lulublue22 on

Then I would say it's down to the type of rooflight installed. You can't just install one Velux directly under the under with minimal gap because each velux has requirements for flashings/waterproofing. As DOCARCH said, they require a combined flashing or you need a specific type of rooflight where both rooflights are part of the one system.

I think thats the issue - roof light bought by builder was the standard one and he went ahead and fitted it and we are in a wtf is that situation now.

Any links to the type of velux you mean or do they have a particular name - I’ve googled but Im a bit bamboozled by it all. Builder has not mentioned a combi velux as a solution more so keeping existing window and removing attic stairs one and moving new one up which just moves the problem of no light. He has also said we don’t need planning permission for velux at the front of the house if we moved tyhe attic stairs one to the front. Id much rather try the window combo if we could get it to work.

tks

• Advertisement

Tks

Post edited by lulublue22 on

Advertisement