Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for new EV long commute

• 25-02-2022 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

We are looking looking for a commuter EV, 150km round trip, 120km will be at motorway speeds and 30km at city driving.

The corsa and mokka and 208 need to be charged every day. I am looking for something thats charged every 2 days.

30 ish budget

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

30k budget.

You need 300km range at motorway speeds. Maybe a new MG.

Second hand eNiro, Kona but not for €30k

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

ID 3 should cover the distance but you'd be charging every evening

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 64,684 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Why do you only want to charge every other day?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭daarmcd

I could charge it one of the offices I work in.

I am there every other day

I wouldn't spend many thousands extra on a car that has more range, just to save €100 per year because of free work charging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Can you charge at home?

only by plug, will be getting a wall charger when i get the ev

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭markpb

This.

Why pay thousands or tens of thousands of euro extra to avoid charging at home? What happens if your employer stops allowing you to charge for free, if revenue remove the BIK exemption on workplace charging or if you move jobs to a company that doesn’t offer it.

You will almost definitely find a car that meets your criteria (or appears to) but it’s a limiting place to start. Modern EVs are highly efficient and night-time electricity can be incredibly cheap. I’m paying less than 6c per unit with Energia at the minute so a full charge of my 75kWh battery is less than a fiver. That’s less than 2k if I do a full charge every single day of the year. The savings compared to petrol are already decent but they’ll be eaten up by buying a car you don’t necessarily need.

And a full charge every single day of course means an annual mileage of around 140k km 🤣

So for an average EV charging at home at the night rate literally costs just a few hundred quid. Per year.

• Advertisement

On a side note, thats a horrific commute

I'd agree with other posters regarding their charging comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The 58kWh has closer to 250-300km motorway range in winter, so you'd in theory have exactly enough battery to go 2 days. In reality you'd be charging every day in winter. The 77kWh version will probably last 2 days between charges

I'd echo what others are saying, it doesn't really make sense to buy a bigger battery to make use of a work charger every second day

To put some numbers to it, let's say you achieve an average consumption of 20kWh/100km

So your 150km commute would consume 30kWh on average per day. There's 240 working days in a year assuming you take some vacations, so that's 7,200kWh per year

At the current cheapest night rate of 6.87c/kWh, this will cost you €494.64. Let's make that €500 for simplicity's sake

The price difference between the 58kWh and 77kWh ID.3 is about €10k, so if managed to charge for free 100% of the time it would take 20 years to pay off buying the bigger battery EV

Of course if you want the longer range, then that's your choice. It is nice to have for when you wan to go on longer trips. But I wouldn't make the decision based on free charging

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

thanks for all the comments

i think we are getting a new zoe gt, no point in payng 10k extra for longer range

charge cost is so small that it makes little difference

This is great, thanks

Advertisement