Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Star Trek Clubs.. ETC

• 27-02-2004 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭

Are there any dublin based clubs for star trek lovers? Besides the one that requires you to be gay. (Yes, i've fully researched this on google). I'm sick of being the only trekkie i know, and being ridiculed for liking such a show. Anyone else know where i can meet up, in a society or group or something, to discuss/watch/play star trek?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

To the best of my knowlage there there isent 1 a good few of my friends are star trek fans so it is no problem for me. Even years and years ago when i was in junior school and all those weird kids liked soccer and that ****E i knew 1 other person who was mature at a young age like me and he liked star trek aswell. You must know 1 person who is a star trek fan?

You will meet many of the star trek fans at the boards beers aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Nobody that is relativly my own age. Actually... no, nobody. Apart from a teacher in an old school, who i see on occasion. But that'd be just too weird, trying to be her 'friend'. Wait, i sound like a total social retard now don't i? I have friends... I SWEAR!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Ive never understood why people want to fit in so much. I HATE and i mean I HATE normel people. People who when they where younger whore what football shirt was kool and people who listed to what is kool music and people who have "kool" hair cuts. I Hate the people who will do anything to fit in - they have no personality of there own - there all just clones!

Sorry that was a bit of a rant. My point is everyone should be there own person with a unique mind and everyone should have the own idias and likes/dislikes. Being popular is not the best part of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by Achilles
    Are there any dublin based clubs for star trek lovers? Besides the one that requires you to be gay.

is that not illegal having a requirement like that?

LOL i dunno, i'm in contact with the site's owner anyways and he's helping me out with my petition. Sort of. Anyways i dont wanna fit in with other plebs, i wanna have my own group of trek lovers to fit in with. There is a total difference. If i was the kind of person who would do anything to fit in, with now i'd be wearing a cap, hoodie, and probably off robbing some garage shouting 'ahh dis is deadly boyzz!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

There used to be one in DCU, whether thats still running i dont know, ive been out of the loop with fandom in ireland for so long now my lists of Star Trek clubs are way out of date

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭OmeGar

Emmm Just a suggestion,

[url]Http://www.lostcarpark.com[/url] has a good list of Events and the likes, they have a long pile of links to other Sci-fi societys and clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Originally posted by User45701
    Ive never understood why people want to fit in so much. I HATE and i mean I HATE normel people. People who when they where younger whore what football shirt was kool and people who listed to what is kool music and people who have "kool" hair cuts. I Hate the people who will do anything to fit in - they have no personality of there own - there all just clones!

i sympathise with what you are trying to say but ya can`t just lump football fans and startrek fans into two different categories. i love startrek and football just as much as each other.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Start your own!

Be an entrapreneur [spelt wrong cuz I go to an Irish school, its fiontraí in irish though!]

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭OmeGar

yeah i did that when i was in college.....it was fun, but it is a lot easier back in college than out in the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 volcan1234

Hi MrVestec , I know it is old message but I am looking for the same club. Just wondering if you ever found that club or start one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 volcan1234

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Check Facebook for Irish Star Trek clubs and groups. There is a few although they have been very quiet recently. I am not sure if they are still going. I remember one was about the Grissom I think and there was more.

"Star Trek Eire" is one I just discovered on FB.

I have never actually being to any of there events because I live in the Country and staying in the city is expensive.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Maybe we should all meet up some stage when Covid passes

In a pub

With pints or Romulan Ale

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Actually yeah, the world in 2021 is a lot different to 2004.

I would recommend checking out the "Star Trek: Éire" folks. They'll likely start putting on events again when it's safe enough to do so. https://startrekeire.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I mean... if you don't mind hanging out with extreme nationalists that see no problem with dressing up in SS Uniforms and displaying Nazi flags at their functions then yeah... sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Can you explain a bit more about this? I’ve been checking their YT channel as I was thinking of checking them out and they seem grand enough.

Has anyone any experience of their meetups? Or of the other one USS Liberty Belle?

Edit: I meant to quote MrVestek but messed up on mobile.

The USS Liberty Belle is the much better group. It's smaller but run by lovely people and they're much more genuine. The Cuchulain is run by closet fascists and nationalists that see nothing wrong with organising a "Holodeck" party and then showing up dressed as SS Troops and hanging Nazi flags on the wall.

I wish I was kidding... but I'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,230 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Also the ops/security uniform in their photos looks way too much like the new Garda uniform.

Sadly seems to be a surprising amount of closet fascists in the Trekkie community. You would wonder were they paying attention to the show they love so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

Nazi uniforms on a holodeck? How very un Star Trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭pah

I used to be part of a club in Tralee back in 96/97 I think it was called "Star Trek Etc" We used to get shipped new episodes of DS9, Voyager and Stargate SG1 from the States, once a month on a Saturday we'd watch about 6 episodes, have little competitions with prizes. Sound bunch of people.

I joined the CuChullain on facebook but didn't realise about all the stuff above. Will have to review that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Uss liberty belle? Never heard of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Advertisement