Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Woke

Options
  • 01-03-2022 9:55pm

Many people disagree, some people say it’s only a pejorative used to attack anyone trying to help other people. The other would argue it’s a way of defining a new movement of people who are more interested in the group than the individual, a regression to identifying people by their appearance instead of their character.

What does it mean?

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,149 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You don't know? You and your buddies have used it enough on the trump thread.

I didn’t use it in the trump thread other than to try and define it. Then those posts were deleted but people using the word woke were criticised. Seemed like a pretty unfair conversation. What do you think woke means?

whatever definition that fits the rightwing crap you are spouting at that particular moment.

Woke definitely brings out the worst in people. Have a breather for yourself gmail. When you come back post up an example of what you’re talking about otherwise it’s complete bullshit. I know already you’re talking shite.

Alabama 3 - Woke Up This Morning

• Advertisement

It’s increasingly more likely that being against woke doesn’t define you as right wing, I would consider myself left leaning centrist but I don’t like all this woke stuff. It seems the opposite of intellectualism.

good talk. I can see this thread making a real contribution to rational discourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's interesting to see Putin use the language of the woke, every one you disagree with is a Nazi, keep banging on about the leader being a Jew. Talk about reactionary cliques and oppressive systems etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think anything that's even different people start foaming at the mouth and calling it woke. Like using bicycles to get to work I've seen called woke on here, and on thejournal.ie of course. Or cutting down on how much meat you eat, that's woke too. People were even calling adhering to covid measures woke. It's just the grumblings of mostly narrow minded old men who hate anything different, it's always been the same throughout the years just with different language.

I posted this up in the trump thread now deleted, a definition from what I would call an expert in the matter, Peter Boghossian. He worked in Portland state university, basically if woke had a capital Portland would be it.

He defines it as having four characteristics:

1. Censorship is necessary
    2. Some groups of people have more power than others
    3. What group you belong to is more important than who you are as an individual
    4. Lived experience is more important than empirical evidence.

Personally I think I offend these woke people like gmail because of my opposition to censorship. They end up labelling anyone who challenges them in any of these categories, Trump supporter, spouter of right wing nonsense etc…

Putin is also very woke in this respect, he loves his censorship.

https://mobile.twitter.com/peterboghossian/status/1448302516639260689

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭TheDavester

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,201 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Not a CA

Thread Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement