Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TFI Live - potential new Transport Planner App

• 01-03-2022 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

So happened to come across this today when checking the play store for what the TFI Go app update entailed.

There is a new app called TFI Live UAT currently in public early access testing (not sure if it was intentionally made public or not).

Seems to be a combined replacement for the TFI Journey Planner & TFI Realtime apps.

Seems to be a much nicer experience overall compared to the Journey Planner app, however it is clearly still in its testing stages - it's missing certain features present in the other apps (i.e. live bus positioning) and funnily enough, the about page still shows dummy text!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The NTA are currently working with Trapeze Group, who designed the iBus system in London and provide the technology that powers other TFL related systems in that city.

This app is part of that partnership, but it's not finished yet and is in testing and some things are not finished. It does however distinguish between live and scheduled buses, as the later are now flagged.

Live bus positioning does appear you'll need to look for a green bus like below. May need to zoom in for it to appea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭p_haugh

"Live bus positioning does appear you'll need to look for a green bus like below. May need to zoom in for it to appear.”

Ah, must have just not been appearing on my end for some reason.

It's not terribly intuitive to be honest, when I was at default zoom level I couldn't see it, just a load of bus stops, but when I zoomed in a little bit to roughly where I felt the selected departure might be, it appeared like above

Yeah I see it now when you show a specific service on the map. Doesn't seem to show all buses on the main map from what I can see though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BTW UAT means User Acceptance Testing

And Lorem Ipsum is common dummy text used as a placeholder until the client sends you the final copy text.

• Advertisement

If you go to timetable section for a route you can see all buses on a route. Might need to zoom in though as previously stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I notice that this app had been updated on Google Play on the 23rd of March 2022. Was there any major changes done to the app UI since that date.

Also how long does the UAT last for this app?

Thread bump here - just after getting this notification to sign up for the beta version of this app, so some progress at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭D8 boy

I got that notification too and emailed them but heard nothing back. Did you hear back from them ?

I haven't heard anything either as of yet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

The TFI app is quite a disaster compared to similar apps available in the Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭D8 boy

I got an email from the NTA on Thursday about Beta Testing of the TFI Live app. It said that testing had been delayed but they would be in touch shortly with details.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I've found that RTPI info is completely unreliable these days so that new app (which I have installled) and the TFI 'Real Time Ireland' app are currently giving info which is completely unreliable.

I was at the bus stop at Donnybrook church the other day at about 11 p.m. Three buses shown on the RTPI display (39A, 46A and 145) which were originally coming in 3, 7 and 12 minutes just never showed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Again, as I mentioned in another thread there was a serious with the Dublin Bus RTPI system for several weeks recently as, due to a software glitch, it was only displaying the scheduled times rather than applying the predictive times to the GPS position of the bus.

It was resolved last week and appears to be working normally once again.

Had reason to use the 133 today. Checked the TFI Live app out of interest and it shows vehicle location along with direction, nice to see! The current realtime app doesnt have this functionality for bus Eireann services. Also shows for expressway services (at least it does for the 2). However, on my version of the app, the timetables for the 133 are very disorganised. Hopefully that's something which will be fixed for the official release.

As an aside, I also gave the TFI Go app a try for my ticket, since I rarely get Bus Eireann, and it also worked great.

When did they send out the Beta app for testing?

Didn’t see any emails about it.

I never got the email about the beta, I'm still using the UAT version. The "early access" version is the one available on the play store now.

Ah it’s the Android version! No bother.

Nothing in the iPhone App Store yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I came across a small bug on this app when I got an update from Google Play Store today.

If I click on the option for Rail in the favourites list. It comes up as an invalid request. This issue does not occur when searching for live real time info for the bus routes. Ironically if I click for real time info for Rail on the timetables list. The live info for the DART times comes up as normal.

If I click on GAI's Dublin City Routes in the favourites list. I get an orange triangle with an exclamation mark to say it is for UAT.

I do not get that orange exclamation mark when viewing the live info for Dublin Bus.

That particular issue has been there for the past few months. Very strange.

Update on this, app is going live soon (I assume on the 22nd given the Realtime Ireland app is discontinued then 😅). Seems it's happening in tandem with the NTA GTFS API upgrade, which makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Looks like it's released

One would hope that the DB app will continue for the moment, given the ongoing reliability of information issues with the TFI apps.

Even this morning they were giving incorrect information for the route I was on, displaying the scheduled arrival for certain buses instead of the actual live times. Meanwhile the DB app was correct.

This is still a real problem with the TFI app.

The "early access" version of the app has been available for a while now on android, I've been using it for a good few months now. Seems it was updated on the 11th to "release" standard so that there isn't any issues on launch day?

Yes I still see some issues present in the app myself.

Sometimes the map screen refuses to pan, or if it does it's very miniscule movements no matter how much you swipe.

Also, the stop realtime seems a bit of a downgrade... It doesn't show if a service is delayed and the text is all one colour, so for e.g. if a service is cancelled, on the old app it'd show in red, but here it's the same colour as all the other text.

The app seems to be fixing some issues with the old app, but then reintroducing various different issues!

That’s a downgrade if the delay isn’t shown. The iPhone version is live now too on the App Store so I will try it out later

They do have a list of things they’re working on:

As per usual, some mixed messaging... The in-app announcement says the new app is available now, whereas the official announcement says coming soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The old app never showed "delayed" time in Limerick.

One trick I noticed on the new one is (scheduled). On the old app any bus route I use without the GPS symbol was not to be trusted. On the new app any bus that says (scheduled) is probably cancelled.

The new app from the limited time I have used it is the exact same. Doesn't address any of the problems I had with the old one.

Pretty much yeah, added some new features (that are indeed welcome) but didn't address all the issues with the old one

• Advertisement

A lot of those issues would likely be down to the actual systems used by the bus companies, and won’t be addressed until completely new systems are implemented.

Advertisement