Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flood damage from other apartment, who pays excess?

Options
  • 16-02-2022 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

We have flood damage from an adjoining apartment (leak caused by their apartment) for which the management company appear to making a claim on the building's policy. If there is an excess on this policy then who pays for it? should it be paid from the building's sinking fund, the apartment who cause the leak or should I pay something?

Comments

Whoever took out the insurance, i.e. the management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fkall

Mgt. Company will either chase apartment owner who caused the leak for excess or deduct monies from payment to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Usually whoever is claiming pays the excess.

So if you are making the claim to get your place fixed then its you.

But if the other party has their own insurance then your insurance will chase theirs.

In the case of an apartment block though its all the one insurance so claimant pays.

But a nice word with the owner of the other apartment might get them to give you the excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I have twice had damage done by a leak from the apartment directly above mine, both times the owner there paid up.

The management company never got involved, I'm not sure why they would?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

They would have to be involved if the claim was off a block policy. If the owner just paid up then no need to go through insurance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement