Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LinkedIn Premium

• 24-02-2022 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Has anyone experiance with LinkedIn Premium, id like to try it for a few months while job hunting. Is it easy cancel. Nearly 40 yoyos a month. Dont mind one or two months

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I never had premium myself, what I was advised to do was search companies and the message their HR department. Ask about upcoming roles that interest you. The message should be tailored to that specific role/company and not a general message! I don't use LinkedIn much anymore as I think it's quite toxic. I know this didn't really answer your question, although I hope it is of some benefit perhaps..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

On your point. I m struggling to get past HR. 20+ years in industry. Finished a masters last year. Im being told its a job seekers market out there but im finding it hard to even get an interview. I have an engineering degree and management masters. Should i mail engineering managers and bypass HR?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I never had any progress myself with LinkedIn. I got the odd interview, although it's very scarce. I just apply for jobs on indeed. However, I am a low wage earner. As for your situation. it wouldn't hurt to contact the engineering manager. I would think it would benefit you if that person you were in contact with was on an interview panel of an interview you attend. I have a level 8 and I don't think it does me any favours when applying for min-wage jobs. As it looks like I am overqualified for the role. Not sure if this is the case with you, depends on what the entry requirements are for the role.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Generalisations about the jobs market usually are not worth much. The closer you are to 50 the more of an effort you are going to have to make to land the dream job. Yes you need to by pass HR, but you also need to get out from behind the computer and do some actual networking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

LinkedIn premium is very expensive. But if your sector is heavily featured, the added insights are worth it. You get a free month usually anyway to try it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭AngryLips

LinkedIn premium is a total waste of money. You'll know who looked at your profile. You'll be able to message more people on the platform who you're not connected with. And you'll get "insights" into the job you've applied for but nothing that's actually of any use. Save yourself the money and spend it on a career coach instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

It isn't worth it. I find linkedIn an absolute melt of a platform - unfortunately I need to be on it for work reasons - but as a job hunting platform just a little better than useless. In the past we have advertised jobs on it and you'd literally get 1000's of applications for a role and 99.99% of applicants are just not even remotely qualified for the role and you have to sift through crap to find a single decent candidate and eventually you just give look looking at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I moved jobs recently after 20+ years in the one organisation. I wanted to move in to a slightly different area and had spent a good bit of lockdown studying. It took about 6 months of checking job sites, recruitment agencies to find something of interest and eventually the right position in the right place came up.

Bizarrely I thought that 20 years in the one place would have gone against me .. but in the interview stage what the new employer wanted was someone with mature understanding of how small business worked and to bring that in ... so don't be afraid to bring old experience in with you !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Like an above poster said, premium is a waste of money.

But in regards to LinkedIn itself, definitely use it. I changed roles recently, I set up job notifications on LinkedIn, I got several interviews using it and successfully applied for my current role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I took the free months trial when I was job hunting, but found it pretty much pointless apart from seeing who looked at your profile after applying for some jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I definitely don't think it is worth the money, have had it in the past, it is insanely expensive for what you get.

Advertisement