Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia Today

• 24-02-2022 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

I see that RT.com which was available this morning is now no longer there.

RT.com disappeared from Sky a month ago or so. It is unfortunate that we can't get to see the whole picture.

RT Twitter account still available with "mass desertion of Ukraine army" and "11 Ukraine soldiers injured".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭growleaves

DoS attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Good riddance!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,704 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Edit: looks like it's either dying from traffic of been DDOSed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It disappeared from Sky a lot longer than a month ago thankfully. It was full of biased Russian rubbish.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

its still on FTA satelite

you can probably add it to other channels on sky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Anonymous claiming that they've taken it with via DDOS attack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭liamtech

In terms of the Satellite station. Im a Free-to-Air Satellite enthusiast, and as far as i am aware the station is still freely transmitting on multiple European Aimed Satellites, including the German Version which was banned (I believe said german language station was removed from one Satellite, but re-appeared on a different one shortly thereafter)

The content however is absolutely appalling. I dont think its inappropriate to state that RT News has gone 'Full Tonto Putin Style' - i check on with them a few times to see if there was even a shred of debate on the situation in the Ukraine, and to say that it is biased is not a sufficient statement at all. It is pure unadulterated propaganda now - yesterday they were playing a News/Docu special on the 'criminal nature' of many Ukrainian politicians -

will provide frequencies if anyone wants to at least have access to it. Will also check in a few times on the various streams/Languages/Satellites, to see if they are still available (if there is any issue with this on the forum i will of course stop - i just think some people might find it interesting to have access to these (non)News stations)

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

28.2 East (Sky Freesat)

RT News English - Freq 11225 V DVB-S2 8PSK Symbol Rate 23000 FEC (forward Error Correction) 2/3 High Definition Only

19.2 East - Freq 11377 V DVB-S2 8PSK Symbol rate 22000 FEC 2/3 HD Only

RT English

RT France

RT Spain

13 East (Hotbird) Freq 12577 H DVB-S2 8PSK Symbol Rate 27500 FEC 3/4 HD ONLY

RT Arabic

A gernan Language versions (RT Auf Deutsch) is listed for 16E - try as i may i get nothing at the frequency listed - said version was removed from 9E and i can confirm that - Otherwise the above stations are all live - might mention the 16E question in the satellite forum to see if its an issue with my equipment (lot of wind lately i might need to re-aim my dish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

German language RT was blocked by Germany earlier this month so they may not be broadcasting anymore. Russia retaliated by blocking German news channel DW in Russia

Thats true - it was removed from 9E which is one of two Satellites commonly used in Germany - it did supposedly re-appear on 16E (mainly aimed at Balkin states but with significant over-spill to Germany) - I threw out a post on the sat forum, someone may be able to confirm if its on 16E or not - But the above feeds, on various satellites are all 100% live and transmitting in the Clear (free to air un-encrypted)

In relation to the Ban, it should be noted that RT is broadcasting in English, French and Spanish from 19.2 - which does cover the entire European Mainland - so Germans still have access (whether they want it or not) - and if it is indeed transmitting the German language version from 16, overspill will provide ample coverage to Germany

• Advertisement

Looks like the EU shutting down Sputnik and RT - so i think its over - will check the streams above but they may end up cut off imminently

This was part of the announcement on Sky News about 20 odd minutes ago - i cannot find a link to confirm but it was announced

I Time shifted but this is roughly the quote from Ursula von der Leyen

"In another unprecedented step, we will ban in the European Union, the Kremlin's media machine - state owned Russia today, and sputnik and their subsidiaries "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Is Russia Today like Euronews? It seems very small scale?

Its a fairly large organization but to compare it to Euronews is a mistake. Its no longer really a news station - its a propaganda outlet. I have it on multiple satellite streams and have jumped over. They are showing a half hour documentary over and over again today. In it, they outline

-Criminal nature of the Ukrainian regime

-Outrage that the west is backing these criminals

-Fake footage of supposed crimes being committed against ethnic Russian minorities

This is intermixed with interviews of Russian officials, faux-experts, and supposed independent analyst's. All are 100% pro Russian, Anti West, Anti EU, and Anti Nato

Its beyond a Joke. I have occasionally watched it over the years for a different perspective on world events. But in recent years it was devolved into a farce, and now its just plain nonsense. The streams are still live but i expect many to vanish over the coming days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Did you happen to hear the presenters speech yesterday about how he's committed to all sides and had a go at the mainstream media. He was like he won awards at CNN before moving to Russia Today in 2008. He had a talking head on from Serbia who lectures in World Affairs who seconded all this. Then they proceed to the next part of their impartial coverage which was that documentary you mentioned. Mental

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Dogby

That's what I've heard too, as well as some other things they've tried with jamming communications,etc. I don't know how well stuff like that works, but it's something I guess. Isn't RT pretty much state run media propaganda anyway?

iv seen various quantities of garbage over the last few years. RT makes Fox look like Reuters at this stage. They have covered the UNSC debate too, paying special attention to the 'heroic russian representative', who is 'honorably standing up to western aggression'

Its not spin, so much as spin is could be regarded as the usual bias necessary to take a bad song and make it (seem) better - RT is effectively a propaganda outlet - cringe educing. Their continued ranting about the faux Ukrainian 'aggression in Donbas' - this is literally a fake conflict. Right out of Hitlers playbook - he accused Poland of attacking German minorities - its a scandalous station

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭KildareP

I can see their carriage throughout Europe being cut shortly. Presumably the ban makes it illegal for any of the teleport operators along with Astra and Eutelsat to continue to uplink their feeds to their satellites.

Just a quick update if anyone is interested - all feeds from RT are still currently Live, and available - amazingly (to me anyway) they are still broadcasting from

Astra 19.2

Hotbird 13

Astra 28.2 (this is foreseeable given that its primarily aimed at the UK - and Boris made a point of refusing to unilaterally take the station off the air - still Astra, the company, could make the decision)

I expect in the coming days we might see some movement in line with the ban -

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

Of course RT is state crafted, but so are RTE & BBC for examples.

All have been news agencies happy to selectively silence those who have views that don't fit the simple narrative.

None are shining lights of impartiality down the years.

BBC who reported thirty years later what actually went on in Ballymurphy for example, even then only some 'selected' truths of what the British military were getting up to in the North.

The bias media in UK have so influenced the public in UK down the years, that many still think the victims of Bloody Sunday Ballymurphy and many another murdered innocent and the likes of the Birmingham six must have done something.

You really think RTE etc, are telling the whole story. be serious that would take far too much effort and require a bit more intellect than actively simply searching google for the news you are 'looking for' to regurgitate as fact.

US media is as bad if not worse, CNN for example is every bit as blatantly selective agenda as FOX.

All are telling us stories. not the actual full news story.

Somewhere between the selective reports of all these bias media is nearer approaching the events and context.

So much for democracy and open thought, those who talk about freedom and rights but refuse to even consider the other side of the story, when there always is one!

• Advertisement

In all honesty i dont think you can compare BBC RTE CNN SKY (even fox although lets leave them on the bench for now) - These stations cannot be compared with RT - The former can occasionally spin - absolutely i will grant you that - even RTE.

What RT Russia reports is not spin. Its propaganda, and lies - They literally sound exactly like Lavrov did this morning with his UN Speech . and why should it not sound identical? It is information that is coming from the same place.

Bias and Spin is one thing

Saying the Ukrainian Government are Neo Nazis and Vladimir Putin is a peacemaker/humanitarian who is saving lives in the Donbas, by invading the Ukraine - entirely different, with all due respect

In all honesty!! You write as if you know the truth when you see it!

Good for you if you have convinced yourself that the narrative in this now war is so simple. You do understand that before this there clearly has been a civil war and for over a decade, that's right just like Ireland and every other supposed nation, Ukraine like Russia is not one people with one identity.

Whether any of us want to even consider it, does not remove the reality that a significant minority of the Ukraine are people who consider themselves Russian and it's more than likely that many want to be protected by Russia, if only because of previous years events, events up till now largely ignored.

People regurgitating dismissal of extreme right elements operating in Ukraine, being at the very least part of the contextual problem is your choice to ignore, just keep googling for the news that suits your beliefs.

BBC currently selectively content to ignore some context claimed by the Russian Bully Putin that they themselves were highlighting.

Ukraine underplays role of far right in conflict - BBC News

By David Stern

BBC News, Kiev Published >13 December 2014<

there are btw a lot of resources totally impartial to RT that show this reality of this conflict a civil war in Ukraine & now war between Ukraine and Russia, reports similar both years old and more recently

Not that many would know this reality from the current so simplistic narrative.

Reminiscent of the label 'supposed freedom fighters of Afghanistan' which included Bin Laden and hundreds of other foreign mercenaries extreme islamists armed and encouraged, all heroic freedom fighters back then when they were killing Russians.

the news outlet reported that event as simple then too, urging & cheering the Mujahideen on right up until they turned the guns and extremes of hate Westwards and started blowing up and chopping off the heads of westerners.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Someone needs to disable the WiFi at the Russian embassy

You should apply for the job, going by RT news they only employ unquestioning simple muppets.

In all honesty - i never said i knew the whole truth? I dont. And for that matter neither do you. What i do know is that Russia has invented a conflict, is referring to a jewish president as a 'Neo Nazi Drug Addict' - and spent weeks, if not months staging 'evacuations' -

I also know, FACTUALLY, that the only media reporting this as facts, are politically controlled media, which includes RT

IMHO, you should familiarize yourself with the term 'False Equivalency' - i have no wish to argue, but it can be factually demonstrated that RT doesnt spin; it reports falsehoods - and this makes perfect sense. The people who are paying for it, have a vested interest in selling their narrative on events. Why would we expect any impartiality from RT? Comparing RT to even the worst the west has on offer, ala MSM - is a false equivalency ODriscoll. Having even extreme biased opinions (fox, arguably CNN occasionally on matters related to the Republican party) is not the same as literally reporting falsehoods.

For Fox (as an example) to be as bad as RT - they would have had to report the January 6th capital riots in terms of it being 'Heroic Conservative Trump Supporting Patriots trying to undermine a Coup' - and continue on that line. While Fox were muted at times on the overt violent right wing elements in Trumps base - and while Carlson and Hannity do make my blood boil with some of their nonsensical rhetoric - they have not specifically invented stories, and used said coverage to justify violence.

In regards to the link you provided - i never denied there are Neo Nazis in the Ukraine - There are Neo Nazis here, and britian, and france, and germany - etc. I absolutely hate these people, i find them to be vile creatures - but taking isolated groups of crazed fanatics, and jumping to - 'We (russia) must invade your country to liberate it' - is insane - its wrong - its nonsense - This conflict is about one thing. Vladimir Putin wants to recapitulate a Neo-Russian Empire - and RT is a tool in his PR War to justify this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I have an older grey 'pace' skybox without card that defaults to London EPG and RT is still working on channel 511.

RT is obvious tripe, but I think the worst few seconds of TV I have ever seen was on Fox News the morning after the the first night of the Second Iraq war. Remember they dropped the 'Mother of all Bombs' on the presidential palace (or somesuch) thinking that Sadaam himself might have been bunkered down there?

Well, the segment showed the massive cloud rise into the air in glorious saturated technicolour while the presenter said: "Wham! bam! Bye bye Sadaam! [Pause.] We'll be back right after this break." Whatever the rights and wrongs of that conflict, it is one of the most callous bits of TV I have ever watched.

But yes, RT is not even useful as a counterpoint to the dominant narratives because there is too much lies in it. You don't fight lies with lies (IMO).

Can confirm that RT is still live and available on 19.2, 13, and 28.2E at the previously outlined frequencies - can provide evidence of this if requested - i have a Multi Satellite dish so i have access to these birds, and have routinely checked for evidence that they are being removed/taken offline

- possibly removed from the Channel Listing on the Sky Platform but i cannot access this.

Horrendously they just finished showing a news Docu on Nazism and the holocaust RT HD English Language-

• Advertisement

Advertisement