Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer on Public Jobs

Options
  • 14-09-2021 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello

i currently work beside Department of Agriculture and Customs in Dublin Port as a warehouse forklift driver and was interested in these roles that are advertised on Public Jobs , however i have no Leaving Cert which is required , is there any pre course you can undertake or any other way around the application process??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jjnaas

Any kind of adult education that teaches basic IT skills and communication or a job that involves the same. In the CO role you're using the basics word, excel, printing, scanning etc.. You could be on the phones and would have to have good communication skills and the ability to write good follow up notes and draft correspondence although most external correspondence would be filling out templates so you don't need to be Stephen King just decent grammar. Departments will have their own software and you'll have to pick it up and do basic data entry, note taking etc.... Nothing too challenging and they are very good at giving people a chance if you can show those skills from adult learning or a job rather than the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭norabattie

Like JJnaas said. You don't need the leaving cert. A decent level of education will suffice and obviously that will show in the aptitude test as such. I say go for it the next time it's advertised. You've nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭2021_AP

Could you do a level 6 or 7 course which is a higher fetac level than the LC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Which CO job on public jobs specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Killio

you can do a level 5 on the QQI network (administration for example) which is accepted for applications

Anyone know if the Aptitude test are taking Online or in house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Kurokishi

Just lie. I'm educated to degree standard and didn't have to show anything at any point in the recruitment process.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

Absolutely DON'T do the above. If you are caught, you will be barred from applying for public service jobs for the foreseeable. I had to scan copies of my qualifications.

The Leaving Cert is a Level 5 qualification. Go and do a Level 5 qualification. It will always stand to you.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

It has been a while since I read the booklet for the current competition but I don't think it mentioned a specific minimum level of education. Or did I just imagine it?

Advertisement