Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detroit (new Kathryn Bigelow)

Options
  • 11-04-2017 7:31pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭

https://twitter.com/AnnapurnaPics/status/851842847762292737

New film from Kathryn Bigelow which up until very recently didn't have a name but according to IMDB is now simply called Detroit.

It's about the 1967 Detroit riot, kicked off by a police raid, that lasted 5 days and left 43 people dead, over 1000 injured, 7000 were arrested and over $40 million of damage was done.

Cast includes John Krasinski, John Boyega, Anthony Mackie, Will Poulter and our own Jack Reynor. Currently has a 4th August release date in the US.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Does have her tempo all over it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Bit more info, it seems to focus on one specific incident that happened during the riots at the Algiers Hotel.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Algiers_Motel_Incident

• Registered Users Posts: 15,669 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Release date for this here is the 25th of August so 9 days time. Looks interesting and John Boyega is a decent actor. Its terrible to think even fifty years later there is still people in America that want to live in the past like the ones that caused the riots at the weekend and killed that young women. These people want to live in the past and think they are better than other people just because them people are different to them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

That was the film in the Screen Unseen series. A tough watch. Scarcely credible, except we know it's based on actual events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I was quite disappointed with this. The film was based around an incident where police, looking for a sniper they thought shot at them from a hotel during rioting in Detroit in 1967, entered the hotel and set about beating a group of black kids to find the shooter.

I thought it worked quite well in introducing the characters and setting the scene of an angry and volatile city but the racist white cops were almost cartoon stereotypes, the brutality and violence inflicted upon their victims unrelenting and tough to watch. It wasn't subtle nor particularly entertaining.

It's a message film where the message is shoved down your throat. Racism and corruption was prevalent in authority figures 50 years ago and nothing has changed since.

John Boyega was top billed but his character was oddly passive and didn't contribute anything of interest to the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I agree with a lot of the above, except I didn't even find the violence that bad. Felt, like the cops, cartooney. It had all the right ingredients, but it didn't have that something to bring it above mediocre at best.

And, I found myself laughing at some of the racist parts, they were so badly done, I genuinely thought it was trying to be a comedy at times. Usually in relation to some racist one liners.

It fell flat in my opinion. It didn't have that genuine feel of uneasiness that other films based on racial events had. More like a dramatacised essay, confirmed by the blurb at the end staying
    that some of it was made up

A sad 3/10 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I thought it was very good. Held my attention from start to finish and had a feeling of unease and dread throughout.

Much better than my last trip to the cinema to see the grossly overrated Dunkirk, which just fell flat for me, so maybe my expectations for Detroit were low as a result of my last cinema outing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Very good film. Felt very authentic and I thought the blurb at the end acknowledging the limitations on making it accurate was a very nice touch. It does an excellent job of conveying the tension it's trying to portray and features some superb performances from the cast.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Somewhat disappointing for me too. I was initially thrown by the piece at start which felt like it was ripped from a Michael Moore film. More than that, though, whilst there were certainly flashpoints during the first hour, and it had that Bigelow realism thing going on, it felt flat to me. I also found the musicians very hard to connect with, bordering on unlikeable. It did pick up once the house situation kicked off and I enjoyed that, plus the aftermath, a good deal more. Had I not I'd have considered this a real misfire. Of course, it was hard to ignore some of the not so subtle, the more things change, the more they say the same, vibe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,342 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Poulter and Mackie were the stand outs for me in this

Advertisement