Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best EV 20-30k range

Options
  • 21-02-2022 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

Hi. My trusty 07 Civic with 350k km on the clock failed it's NCT so it's time to trade up. Looking to spend 30k max so a few options. I'll be trading again I'd say in 2 or 3 years so the cars value in that time is important.

Ioniq 28. Some older ones for 17-18k but very little warranty left on these esp. high mileage ones.

Ioniq 38. Some ex demo for about 28-29k. Mostly home charging so the slowness of fast charging doesn't bother me much

Peugeot e2008. Some ex demo just about in budget ~30k Not sure about range on these or what they'll be worth in 3 years time.

Leaf. Good finance deals but a bit expensive for chademo and poor efficacy.

2 adult 1 child family

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Do not get, avoid at all costs: Leaf, Ioniq38

Get and save 10k: Ioniq 28.

Get: Kona/Niro/Soul. used options available at 30k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭eagerv

Just a thought on the Ioniq 28. Many on Carzone etc are high mileage and almost out of warranty, if not already. Yet many have been taken in recently by dealers, often with much lower mileage, yet they don't appear to be advertised. Probably due to a ready market, so may be worth calling around a few dealers.

We were told when we traded in ours that the car would be offered with a new warranty (For how long I don't know)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Thanks. Any ideas on the e2008? Looks a bit more spacious than the Kona.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

MG 5 ,brand new for under 30 k in the lower range

MG 5 is the only electrc estate so if load lugging is your thing then it's deffo worth a look. They are chinese built (and I've ragged them for that in the past) but sure what isnt made in china these days

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

191 Kona, I know the boot is small but they are getting new batteries rolled out and easy 440kms range which means less reliance on public charging

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I know we covered this in the other thread but I'm still puzzled by the Ioniq 38/28 being "avoid at all costs"/"definitely buy"!

OK fast charging is better on 28 but 38 has 50km more range reducing the need to fast charge. My choices (in UK) are 2021 38 with 10k km for £24k or 2019 28 with 150k km for £16k. Lower mileage 2019 28's are all well over £20k.

Post edited by Paul Kiernan on

Why would you spend 50% more than the cost of a 28 for a 38 with only 50km more range and worse otherwise? Unless your daily commute is 200-240km, the 28 is the better car.

Well the 28 is 2019 with 150,000km - very close to the battery warranty limit of 160,000km! The 38 is barely run in!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

A quick look at autotrader shows there are low mileage Ioniq 28kWh for GBP18k.

• Advertisement

Autotrader? Is anyone still buying from the UK?

Is the Kona a bit small for 2 adults and a young child?

I can find two. Both 2018 with over 50k miles. It might make more sense to go for the cheaper higher mileage 2019 model.

I've just spent 3 to 4 hours on Ioniq 28 thread. It's clearly a very good car and high mileage does not seem to be a huge issue, not as regards the battery anyway. The ability to grab 120km in about 20 minutes is a strong plus. The 38 would really only make sense if you very rarely needed to fast-charge. But other than the whole battery/BMS issues (backward step) the 38 should be every bit as good a car as the 28.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭innrain

Not really. I have one and we are 2+2 . It is small if you go on holidays for a week+. I agree go for eniro if you find it (don't tell anyone until it is in your driveway) cause it is very hard to get your hands on. Kona 2019 with the new battery is around 28k+ but has a killer range very hard to beat and the new battery just resets the state of health irrespective of the mileage. This means that at double its age now would still be able to provide a 400 km range. In Dublin you can rent one from gocar. Just try it

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The only use case for the 38kWh over the 28kWh is if you have very regular trips of around 210-240km that you prefer not to charge on. Like a commute. The 28kWh simply can't make that trip in all weather. I think ELM327 mentioned this already.

Personally I would also go the cheapest 28kWh that I could find, even if that meant the car is out of (battery) warranty. I remember posting one here in the bargains thread just before Brexit for £13k on autotrader, a good few people in here seemed to be interested in buying it, but then they didn't have the balls to go through with it. Bet they are sorry now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭silver_sky

They changed them I think. They're 2021 Kona's - one in Drumcondra/Glasnevin (not sure exactly) and the other Merrion Square. I have one booked later this week to check it out. I've only driven a petrol Kona before so interested how this will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭innrain

The 2020 model has the 3phase charging and you could get them with bigger screen with GPS. The 2018 models sold here were all with the lower spec infotainment and no forward collision warnings but the android auto works grand. The lack of GPS means no prediction of route consumption. It has 200+hp which makes the petrol version toyish in comparison.

Yep. I've been looking around at pricing and the likes. While I'd like a 2020 as it has the 11kW onboard charger, bigger infotainment, and app... I'm not sure about that at the price they're going for. It's near 2022 Kona money. The pre-2020 seems like a nice sweet spot - all the range and power. Plus, I've been reading that the telematics were causing battery drain issues on some cars.

The petrol Kona was an absolute dog. Terrible to drive. My mrs was disgusted with it. It was a rental and not much other options at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭zg3409

It depends. If you have a full size buggy (say under 3 years old child) it may not fit, or you may need to take off wheels each time. If you have a stroller it may fit, but they tend to be longer and thinner. Add a changing bag, two carry on cases for weekend away and it gets very tight. Even getting to airport with 2 big bags may mean bags on seats.

The back row of seats is smaller than typical. If you have a rotatable car seat for say under 4, it's likely driver or passenger seat may need to be pulled forward, which depending on size of adults in the front, may be impossible. Again depends on car seat and adult, a test fit is best.

For example we looked at Hyundai Tucson (quite big) and it was a no way with car seats, and had to go for bigger VW Tiguan. Only physically installing seats and bringing buggy you can really tell.

For anyone interested, the GoCar Kona EVs are 2021 but pre-facelift models. Still with the "dimpled" front fascia (which I prefer honestly). Bigger infotainment screen and I think 11kW onboard charger. I quite liked it although GoCar need to sort out their cleaning and maintenance.

Space-wise it seemed good to me although I've no kids so there's that.

Advertisement