Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solar Performance Spreadsheet - Analysis and data sharing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Ah okay. Not sure on mobile. Green button is on desktop.

If on mobile you might have more success using the Google Sheets app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

DM me your google address Phil (or whatever you use) and I'll add you into the sheet permissions directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Thanks, I just managed to open it in the sheets app and requested access that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Thanks for the access

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

I was thinking of the admin involved with the Google sheets and knocked up a simple (very simple) website that might be able to help us. It can be found at the link below. The site will allow people to register themselves and should stop any issues with people messing up other peoples data.

This is if all involved agree this is a good idea!

I am not a web developer so the site is crude at best. However, I have no problem letting people jump on and change/amend as they see fit.

At this stage it is in it's early "beta" and if people are happy to move to this type of site it would be great to get some testers first. If we're happy we can move the Sheets data over and then add some more funcionality (charts, reports etc).

I have ideas to add EV data here too and maybe some sort of API. It is all premised on allowing people see our data (the site doesn't hold anything other than a login session cookie and your email address - but I can expand on that later if any interest).

I don't want to step on anyone's toes so please let me know if you guys would prefer to keep the Google Sheets.

The site is at https://www.pvstats.eu . You will need a valid email address to register (check your SPAM folder).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭irishchris

Well done on seeing this up and for me seems a perfect solution for this.

Only suggestion would be to not have a person's email address showing as the user name. Registered mine there and instead of username shows the email address. Fine whilst amongst our trusted users but outside of that probably not the best.

Cheers for setting this up and putting the work into it 👍

Hey Chris. Thanks for taking a look at this. I think your email address is showing because you picked the username to be the same as your email address. You can make your username just "IrishCris" and then this way your email address won't show. Let me know if you want me to change your username to say, "irishcrhis". That way your email won't be displayed to anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭irishchris

Just a quick update. I see a few people attempted to login to the site but didn't have their account setup first.

To setup an account, first for to https://www.pvstats.eu/register.pl. You need to make up a new username (it can't be your email address) and enter a valid email address below with a password.

Once registered you will get an email sent to the address you entered. You will need to click on the link within that email to activate your account. Once activated you can then login with your newly created username and password

The first page you will see is the main page, which shows this year's production values and the user who owns them.

At the top, you can click back to last year, to see how that looked.

If you click on "My PV Data" on the left, you will be brought to your own production details

This will default to this year but you can add other years (last year, for example) by clicking the "add new year" link

Once you select a year to add you will then be able to fill out those details.

The "My Installation info" allows you to enter your PV setup, as below. You can add/edit the details on this page. Anything you enter here will be visible to when someone clicks on the "Installation Info" page. Although they will not be able to edit any of your information

Please let me know if any runs into any problems!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

This is sweet. The current google sheet has a bunch of graphs and all but I am sure that is coming when you get more time. Also Forum is misspelt on the left side menu.

Thanks, I have fixed up the spelling!

Yes, graphs are on the way. They are a bit of a pain when trying to make them look OK on mobile devices but no problem on bigger screens!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

We have come along way lads than a simple google sheet and just posting on boards....this is snazzy stuff harderthanf , are you sure you know what you have let yourself in for now 😋

I have been involved (no background in programming etc just working with the devs) in building a database and mobile app in work over the last few years and I know these things can grow legs when people say what if we do this and what if we do that, so I think for your own sanity if we try and keep it as simple as possible for you.

One thing though if we could have a tool to download the community yearly data and the installation data into an excel file. That way the users can do their own detailed analysis to contrast and compare their own systems

Also and I know this is going to get complicated (so tell me the f**k off).... but if possible when inputting system details if we could have the facility to add strings, as a lot of the users have multiple PV strings with one east and one west with different capacities etc. How this is displayed or downloaded might be difficult but if at all possible I think it would be very useful.

Excellent work

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Actually you can copy and paste the tables into excel easy so no need to write a tool or script to do this.👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Great work indeed so thank you very much for putting the time and effort in, registration submitted.

Hey - I am adding a chart or two to the site. Would be good get last years data entered, if you have any. If you don't mind, I can manually move last years data from the Google sheets. Just let me know.

Also, would be good to get the word out a bit, the more users we have the better - and more useful - the data becomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Feel free to move any of my data though I am going to create an account and populate myself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭idc

Uploaded all my stats! Is probably only time i'll be top of the leader board 😃 before all you lads with 8+ kWp South facing arrays move to the top !!

I just noticed some of the activation emails are not being accepted by Hotmail. I am looking into this but in the meantime, if you have registerd and don't received the activation email, just PM me and I will activate the account.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

What I love about this whole exercise is the fact we can see the big collective number of what we are generating..

In 2021 110MW was generated

January 2021: 2.04MW

January 2022: 3.86MW

I'm in the power generation industry, where the currency is in the hundreds of MegaWatts, and to see the numbers approaching those levels is fantastic... and that's only from a couple of users from Boards.. Imagine if the whole country had solar PV installed?, houses, schools, buildings etc.....

You know that €200 electricity credit we're all about to get? I don't need it (and I suspect a lot of you don't really need it too), but I'll take it, of course I will, but that's only a very short term fix to what will ultimately be a long drawn out problem... How about instead of giving 10 households €200, they give 1 household a 2kW solar PV system? Whether it's pensioners, or social housing or whatever, just get more PV out there which will untimely reduce carbon emissions, and thus lead to reduced dependance on imported fossil fuel.. Every school in the country should have at least 50kWp installed, and become huge power generators, especially in summer when they are lying dormant.. long term it means increased funding for schools from FIT....

We all know it because we've seen the light, but jesus the government should be pushing to get PV on every inch of every roof in the land!!!

• Advertisement

Just a small update:

I've added some download options now for the date [Excel, CSV, PDF] which might make it easier in the future for grabbing stats.

Also, added some charts to the bottom of the pages.

I am still dipping in and out, making small changes, but please let me know if there is anything that could be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Fair play, I'm well impressed with what you've put together! Out of curiosity, what is the site built on - and is it costing much to run?

I have the site running on a virtual instance on Linode. At the moment I've a sign up credit so no cost for a year or so. I don't think it'll be too expensive afterwards though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I added my details. There's a bug when you click someone's profile, it shows the pre and post install BER to be the same value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭John.G

The kwh/kwp table is very interesting and it will be very interesting to see if it changes much from year to year. I have a modest Solar thermal install and I have monitored its output vs the solar radiation which I get from "yesterdays weather" in met eireann over the past 11 years and its remarkably how consistent the solar radiation and the solar output is, they both only vary by ~ 5% from year to year, the solar radiation (Roches Point, Cork) is 1050kwh/m2/annum. (+/- 5%).

The average kwh/kwp of the first 10 in the above table is 77.7 kwh/kwp/month = 932.4 kwh/kwp/annum. If one assumes a average solar radiation of 1050kwh/m2/annum then this will give the following PV panel efficiencies.

5M2/kwp, 932.4/(5*1050)/100 = 17.76%

5.5M2/kwp, 932.4/(5.5*1050)/100 = 16.15%

6M2/kwp, 932.4/(6.0*1050)/100 = 14.80%

6.5M2/kwp, 932.4/(6.5*1050)/100 = 13.66%

Do any other locations give info like this?

http://tramoreweathercam.com/weather/trends.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Hmmm, not sure you can logically deduce much from that. The problem is that your not taking orientation of the installations into consideration. For example, someone might have a 6Kwp south facing, and that would easily beat someone elses 10Kwp split in a E/W configuration, especially at this time of year.

Is the E/W orientation then performing sub-optimally, or the panels poor? No, but naturally you can't easily factor that in.

I like where your going though. That's kinda cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭John.G

It would be nice if one had something like the Tramore location's live data as one can/could then monitor the "instant"panel efficiency at different solar inputs, whatever the panels orientation.

@harderthanf you have done a mighty job here with the website, fantastic stuff and thanks for all the work you have put into it. As far as I can see it have pretty much everything we would need..

Just inputted my Feb'22 numbers a health 367kWh for my 6.1 kWp system. Really ramping up now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 cuores

There seems to be a small error in the spreadsheet in the 2022 kwh generated per kwp section. - there is no formula in the cells in line 91 from feb onwards, all the lines below this have resulting errors as the formula is inconsistent and not calculating correctly.

Advertisement