Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I change my circulating pump

Options
  • 25-02-2022 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Last year I upgraded to a Grant Vortex VORTMOD1526 External Oil Boiler from a 20 year old indoor GE boiler 50/70. I also changed to a new kingspan oil tank and a 36 x 15 indirect insulated hot water cyliinder.

Plumber said my circulating pump might not be good enough for the new system but I changed original pump to a Tucson 6m circulating pump 6 years ago. Pump is upstairs in the hot press. 3 bed semi.

I have a brand new grundfos ups 25 50 130 circulating pump and I just want to know if it is worth changing the Tucson pump?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭jimf

if all rads are hot and plenty hot water leave well enough alone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Horse it out the door. Preventative maintenance is paramount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

If it isn’t broken why fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭POBox19

I installed my pump in 1990 replaced the boiler in 2009 and it is still pumping away 32 years later, touch wood it keeps going, 3 bed semi. Keep your spare one just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭John.G

The Tucson 6M pump is more powerful than the UPS 25 50 130 as its a 6 meter pump vs the Grundfos 5M.

If you have a open vented system with a small header tank (feed and expansion) in the attic then you need to be very careful with the pump settings to prevent pump over through the vent and air ingress which can lead to all sorts of problems. Can you post a close up photo of your Tucson circ pump while running and you can see then what mode/setting its at, this is important as you will need to match the Grundfos settings (if available) to the Tucson one. Even if you have a sealed system with a expansion vessel its worth carrying out this exercise. I didn't know the Grundfos UPS 25 50 130 model was/is still available.

Photo below might be similar to your one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭daarmcd

Great news guys thanks, I will keep the current one. The Grundfos UPS 25 50 130 came free with the Grant Vortex.

I do notice that the system pipes clatter and bang when it switches on and I have to bleed it once a month for about 30 seconds. Rad in the upstairs bathroom is the end rad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭John.G

For interest, if its not too much trouble, you might post a photo of yours (running) like the above.

Advertisement