Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared gutter

Options
  • 24-02-2022 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

My house is semi-detached with aluminium 'seamless' type gutters. At the front and back of the house the gutter is continuous, spanning across the two properties, but each house has it's own downpipe from their half of the shared gutter. As it is starting to get a bit shabby, I want to get new upvc fascias, soffits & gutters.

The existing shared gutter will have to be cut in the middle & fitted with an end stop. Do I have to get my neighbours permission to have the existing gutter cut and fitted with an end stop?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,833 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I dont believe you need the neighbours permission providing you leave the rainwater run off on their side uninterrupted. However I would mention it to them in advance as it would be the neighbourly thing to do do

• Registered Users Posts: 19 redvee

Thanks muffler, I have mentioned it to the neighbours - I thought they might want to get their side done at the same time. They don't seem interested, they don't use the house much as they live away most of the time. I don't see it being an issue, but I was just wondering what the legal position was in case it ever became an issue. I would assume I have a right to change my side of the gutter as long as we make good the stop ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭chooseusername

If you're going to replace like for like gutters ,then a simple connector to neighbours gutter would be easier.

This is an example of an Ogee connector

This

Thanks for your input - I'm not replacing like for like exactly, I'm replacing a seamless aluminium flat back ogee profile with a similar profile upvc. There's no guarantee that the profiles will be identical so trying to match the two together might involve a lot of mastic with the potential for leaks. I thought that an end stop on each end of the gutter, one on the new upvc and one on the old Alu gutter might be less prone to leaking - but then I'm not an expert. I'm really relying on my gutter installer to make good in a proper manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You are as likely to get drips/leaks using 2 end caps as a joint imo. The end caps wont be catching any water and will probably have a gap between them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I’d agree, if gutters are different , you are probably better off going with the 2 stop ends.

but as Greebo says likely to drip unless you get internal stops and but them up tight with a strip of something like flashband across the top at the meeting point

In an ideal world the neighbour would replace his gutters also with the same profile, but he is not interested in having any maintenance done to a property he rarely uses. The idea would be to make the join at a tile ridge (not valley) to minimize water run off at this point, as you say butt them tight and to flash over between the two end stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭The Ging and I

This is a job the aluminium gutter guys do regularly in terraced and semi d houses. They can bodge it but it usually works.

What are your old gutters made from ?

Old gutters are 'seamless' aluminium, new gutters are going to be upvc

Advertisement