Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst TD ever elected

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I am in his constituency and he is absolutely anonymous. You have a certain cohort that will elect him for his name. There is another generation of them in councils most recently claiming credit for some voluntary organisations getting grants. Absolutely shameless family.

We have a poor track record in our constituency with TDs. 3/5 current crop are awful

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭bureau2009

I was just about to mention Eoghan Murphy. Mega disastrous appointment at a time when we had/have the worst housing crisis in the history of the state. Yes, he has left public life but his appalling performance will have grave consequences for Irish citizens for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,931 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'll second that his arrogance only surpassed by Leo

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Has Heather Humphries been mentioned , utterly dreadful , two questions

How was she elected

How was she appointed a minister

Actually, I'll squeeze in another, am I alone in not understanding a single word that comes out of her mouth 🤔

Post edited by Dempo1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

They have changed the way the shouting is done though. It isn't just that the government have different ideas about how issues should be resolved, they are corrupt and evil. They are introducing a style of discourse that is more similar to what you have in the US at the moment. I think this will be ultimately damaging long term to democracy in Ireland. But then they probably don't really care about that as democracy is a relatively new concept to them.

Added to this you have SF and their supporters holding other parties to extremely high standards and themselves to almost none. Heads should roll over golf gate, but its perfectly fine for Mary Lou et al to attend the Bobby Storey funeral against guidelines as an example. "Rules are for thee and not for me" comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

No other single politician has caused the issues that are coming down the road for Ireland than McEntee, Roderick the plonker a close second.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mary Harney once stated that she would deem her career a failure if she didn't fix the health service. She has to be a contender considering that she actually made it worse and the changes she made are still hindering fixing it decades later.

Quite noble that she refused her pension due to her failed career

Oh wait

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

With the times that are in it, I can't believe no one has mentioned Joe "we'll send out your iodine tablets in a few months" Jacob.

I mean what are the chances we get some nuclear fallout coming from the East sometime soon?

Some poster asked what are the criteria for claiming a person is a bad TD.

Is it they come across as buffoons that can't strink a coherent sentence together? Danny Healy Rae

Is it they are buffoons whose ideas are nonsenical and will cost us dearly? ryan, all the greens, all sinn fein

Is it that they are grossly out of their depth on topics they are in charge of? Cowen, Varadker, Harney, Donnelly, McEntee, O'Brien, Murphy

Is it that they couldn't give two fecks about the national well being, but do huge work for their constituents? Healy Raes, Gregory.

Is it that they were corrupt and just fill their own pockets? lawlor, haughey, callely

Is it that they were very probably corrupt (can't be proven in court)? ahern, flynn, lowry, martin

Is it that they contribute nothing anywhere and just collect a salary and pension? Durkin, Coppinger, flynn jnr, Murphy, etc

Is it that they wrecked things and cost the taxpayers and citizens lot of money? cowen, ahern, coughlan, martin, ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭boardise

From what I see here the Irish electorate could be considered the worst electorate ever since it alone is responsible for projecting the hapless individuals listed above into the County Council Confederation ..oops sorry, I mean the national parliament commonly referred to as the Dawl. 🙃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭zell12

In fairness, we have one of the fairest voting systems on the planet. Our TDs accurately reflect their electors and therefore us. Be proud!

You see, your doing the very same thing , bringing up two very different incidents. I do agree there's a level of hypocrisy on both sides but the back and forth between SF & FFG has been utterly tiresome and rarely anything to do with the here and now.

Michael Martins outburst during a "Housing Debate " during the week was outrageous, "Murder and Mayhem" 😳

To my mind and of course others will disagree, every single issue raised by SF to this current government (Greens generally asleep), can not be dealt with by FFG without dragging the 6 counties , historical events that in some cases , happened decades ago into the debate , (FFG also have a less than perfect historical record incidently)

And if the above doesn't work, they release misleading data re SF's actual opposition to "Housing " , when infact their opposition was around planning and sweet deals being done with developers.

Anyway, all slightly off topic but FFG no angels and it's not a bad thing to be occasionally reminded of this. I'd just wish actual issues that affect people's lives "Today" would be dealt with .

Exactly, we have always had the government we deserve in my opinion. If people vote for Mick Wallace in Wexford, then he is the politician they deserve. The issue here is an inability of the electorate to think long term. There is a childlike view of finances. The left oppose property taxes FFS! If we get an increased tax take we try to take as many people out of the tax net as possible! The million people outside of the tax net seem to think they already pay for water!

We will never have good services if we have this type of mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,073 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

How was she "erected"? Jaysus, I would have presumed she didn't have the equipment

(Ah, ignore. Ya fecking ninja edited)

Yep your too late 😁 spotted my little unfortunate typo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The issues you are referring to (undocumented immigration) were created long before McEntee.

I don't really want to destroy your innocence, but here is a potentially helpful link. https://bfy.tw/PIwN

And I hope that SF supporters would hold their party to the same standard as they hold other parties. I think the example I brought up illustrates the hypocrisy of SF very well. The government is actually trying to resolve issues, it is just that it isn't as easy as shouting. At the end of the day. I accept we will probably end up with SF in government after the next election. I don't think this will be a good thing. I will weigh up my options and see if it is best for my family to remain here or move abroad for a few years. I will just wait and see. It won't be a case of everyone, the population and politicians, rowing in behind SF and helping them achieve their aims. We have different views of how the country should be run. I think the focus should be on providing subsidised rentals for low income workers, for example, there should be the expectation that everyone who can works. I don't think there should be social housing for long term unemployed, they can deal with the HAP system. SF will be more focused on those who contribute nothing, whereas in my view we should be investing those who want to improve their situation.

Wasn't he the Minister for Gee for a while? He was also caught red-handed trying to sell some hash in the video below?

• Advertisement

You make very valid points and hard to disagree with. I really don't know were it will all end in relation to any future government. I'm just as disillusioned as the next person .

I'm fortunate, small mortgage, from Dublin but living very rurally for 20 years , I do have a long term illness so limited income . I don't blame current government for the housing crisis and cost of living challenges, indeed they are trying, I'll grant them that but I'm looking at the current , over all housing and rental crisis coupled with the cost of living situation and just can not comprehend how young families, Middle income earners etc make ends meet and I just don't see a solution in the near the medium future .

Interesting and challenging times ahead .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The worst TDs are likely to have zero profile and would've been at best one or two termers before losing out. Completely ineffectual TDs are the ones that failed in near complete anonymity.

While the likes of Coppinger, Daly and Wallace espouse silly positions (imo) they are well known and manage to promote their ideas so they and their likes could hardly be considered the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Gino Kenny the ‘grow yer own’ dude, haven’t heard of him for around 5 year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got elected on Paul Gogarty's transfers last time, somehow; Gogarty votes were from all over the place with a very significant amount going to FG also.

I would disagree with this, I think doing something bad/damaging is far worse than doing nothing at all. The most damage was arguably caused by the FF government during the bubble. Bertie "suicide" Ahern and Charlie "spend it while I have it" McCreevy blew a huge opportunity to invest in the country's future and instead ended up with us having to call the IMF in!

Extending this thread into various categories of dud TDs would be more fun:

Worst Independent TD ever elected:

Nominations:

The Healy-Rae trio - Jackie, Mick and Doofus, with the collective IQ of a sack of spuds

Tax-dodger Wallace

Michael Lowry (Version 2.0 as Version 1.0 was FG)

Mattie McGrath (Version 2.0 as Version 1.0 was FF)

Tom Glidea

Mildred Fox

(others welcome)

Worst Labour Party TD ever elected:

(we're spoiled for choice here but I'd go for Aódhán O'Complete Móron, with Mickey Dee close second)

Best Solidarity/PbP TD ever elected:

Probably better to focus on the best, as it's difficult to pick the worst!

Worst FF TD ever elected:

I don't want to crash the internet so no nominations here!

Worst FG TD ever elected:

ditto!

Worst SF TD ever elected:

Probably Adams, but honourable mentions for Wynne and Funcheon also.

Hard to call one for Soc Dems, but I'll go for Murphy who was responsible for setting up the Inquiry into Siteserv and then refused to cooperate with it when it sought her assistance.

Richard Boyd Barret drives some people Mad, he's on Claire Byrne radio show now for those who want to to listen in , with gritted Teeth 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

As much as people's dislike for Michael Lorwy and the Healy Rae's is understandable, they are NOT bad TDs, infant the reason they get reelected is because of their hard work in their constituency.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Advertisement