Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vikings: Valhalla - Netflix - (***Spoilers***)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,322 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 60,322 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

is it filmed in Ireland?, the first outside shot looks very Wicklowy

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

filmed in wicklow, theyve he 1st 2 seasons shot already

• Registered Users Posts: 14,778 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

filmed at Ashford Studios in Wicklow, you can see the Viking compound set on streetview here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

2 episodes in, not bad but one particular woke inclusion has me scratching my head as to how that was supposed to have happened in the 11th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,604 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I watched this over the weekend, I found it relatively enjoyable with just enough to keep me interested and watch another season. The sets,locations,costumes etc all look really good but feels a bit too clean cut. I'd doubt the history is accurate but it does branch into a whole host of legendary viking kings. Not enough violence for my liking but not bad overall

If your talking about your 1 who rules the city its a bit odd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

yeah, feels like they added her to tick an inclusivity box tbh, couldnt care less if was a fictional setting but as its pretending to be somewhat based on history and with Hakkon being a known white male viking leader its just meh, like why do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Tits & Arse??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,604 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

For me I thought she looked too good, she didn't look like she's done much fighting or been part of battles or raids compared to the rest of the characters. Lagertha looked like she could be queen of Kettegat but Estrid doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭smilerf

Horrible show full of woke nonsense

Im a few episodes in and enjoying it so far. Not as good as the original series but I didn't expect it to be.

The black woman Jarl is daft bit of woke-ism but i'm content just to roll my eyes and carry on.

One of the things I hate is that all of these type of shows always have a stupid & annoying "young king" character. Making ridiculous scowling faces etc. It's so overdone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm a very long term fan of the Vikings series, especially the earlier series up until Ragnar left the show.

However, Valhalla is really falling short for me. It starts with far too many characters, and so far really feels more like a spin off of The Last Kingdom than Vikings. I am enjoying the rivalry between the Christian Vikings, the Old God Vikings and even the arguments between the Greenlanders, Icelandic, English and Norse clans too.

For me, I think the key issue to the show is there's no one single strong character that really binds them all together. While the later seasons of Vikings weren't bad by any means, they really suffered due to the lack of a Travis Fimmel type actor and character, because that man gave an incredible performance on that show.

As for the woke issue, well no it's not "woke". It's certainly very strange to change a real and existing person entirely, but I wouldn't class it as woke.

Oh and for the record, while they were extremely small in number, during the last age of the Vikings there were indeed Vikings of African descent, whom while they may not have followed precisely the same religion, after years of trading in the Mediterranean and North Africa, quite a number of Africans did end up going back to Scandinavia, one way or the other.

Is king edmunds "advisor" the guy who played the English king in the Last Kingdom?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I'd be the same, loved the original up to the point Ragnar died. Where I differ tho is that due to the lack of legacy characters from the Ragnar Era like Floki, Lagartha and his Sons , I dont have a constant reminder of how that show used to be so much better. The new cast is a clean slate and allows me to enjoy the show for what it is.

No it's definitely a different actor then the one who played King Alfred in Last Kingdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The first episode wasnt great, they just threw a lot on screen and killed off a lot of the people they introduced. Ill see how it goes

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Jeez Brendan Gleeson didn't last too long.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,049 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nope - maybe you saw him as the Duke of Clarence in the BBC War of the Roses series the White Queen.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭Homelander

Just finished this now. I thought it was weak enough to start but by the end I had really started enjoying it. It's pretty shallow stuff but some of the characters are good, the themes are interesting, and it moves along at pretty much breakneck speed with all manners of twists, backstabbing, battles and the rest of it.

It felt maybe a bit more like The Last Kingdom than Vikings really, though definitely not as violent.

Overall I would say it's a thumbs up, personally preferred it to the 2nd half of Vikings S6 which I thought was pretty bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I’m about to start season 2 - have just seen the automatic recap - and there pieces from the last moment of season 2 that I am foggy on.

Did Freydis and Harald see Forkbeard’s fleet arrive from the cliff top before they rode away?

Did Leif, Freydis and Jarl Haakon know that Harald had joined Olaf only to uncover his plans? Or did all of Kattegat think he was a traitor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I’m a bit confused by Forkbeard’s political manoeuvrings.

I get how taking the son hostage guarantees that Olaf will protect the grandson from harm but why go against Canute’s oath to Harald? And how can Olaf’s son be king of Norway if Canute’s son is king of Norway? Wouldn’t they want Canute’s grandson to be heir?

And putting Olaf and Canute’s ex-wife is surely not a good idea?

Seems the thread is not popular though so don’t know if I’ll get any answer :P

Advertisement