Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst TD ever elected

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Looks kind of like a low-rent Paschal Donohoe body double.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Michelle "Fornication is a leading cause of unwanted pregnancy" "I'm entitled to an All-Ireland Final ticket" Mulherin

Got caught for over 3k worth of calls from her Leinster House phone to her "friend" in Kenya, she did cough up the cash in the end though

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Northernlily

There should be a law against being a career parliamentarian. He would be significantly detached from reality.

I don't even agree with people going into politics in their early 20s, very little real world experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Obvious agenda here.

There is far worse than Helen McEntee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Ruth Coppinger once showed up at a charity event at a park, argued with volunteers about the €10 entry fee claiming she was a TD who just wanted to see what was happening, then left in a huff when she didn't get in for free. So she gets my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Harsh including Hollie Cairns among all those others. I always had her as one of the more conscientious if not lumbered with a wishy washy party.

My vote would be Dick Roche. I don't think anyone mentioned him yet.

If you google 'worst TD in Ireland' Brian Cowen's wikipedia page comes in near the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,428 ✭✭✭✭zell12

There must be loads of TDs from the early days, severely bending to the whims of Catholicism in a secular State. Causing massive societal problems, that we still have with school patronage, hospital locations, adoption records...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Willie O’Dea……little weasel sucking on the teat of the State for decades and doing fork all

• Registered Users Posts: 26,929 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Quite a reaction to my discription of Helen McEntee as being Likeable, Efficient, ability to show empathy, Traits not normally to be found in FG TDs , I felt an honest observation but I equally said she's an enigma and I just wasn't sure about her as in like or dislike (Open minded)

I also mentioned a liitle matter of the Indo chasing a curious story regarding political donations, a Donor and Helen McEntee and the fact if it was anyone else, media generally would be all over the story. I thought the story had quietly gone away, it has not, 3rd Indo story on the matter this morning.

I personally prefer King Crisps myself 😉

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The repeatedly nominated Wynne has just resigned from SF citing bullying oddly enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There is no right or wrong answer to the question of the thread but CJ was around long enough to do a lot of good things in his time as well as bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Posters seem to imagine that we've had bad TDs since about 2000. There were a whole lot of bad ones before that, all those implicated by Mahon for example. It might also be useful to identify what a bad TD is rather than list of every TD people hate. Haughey and Bertie were good TDs, Cowen and Deasy too. It's other parts of their careers that people have trouble with.

Another dreamer cast on the pile.

Still, she has done the job of breaking new ground for SF in a general election. They will replace her with 'one of their own' next time out. Happens all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I think we are showing our age by saying that these were good TDs because we lived through the good & bad. Absolutely nothing wrong with being young, I'm envious of youth myself, but I think younger posters might not know the full history of TDs pre 2000. At one time Bertie was the most popular Leader of all time. To this day no leader has had such a high rating as Bertie. That's not to say they didn't do wrong

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I don't think we are looking for a scientific analysis. Most people don't remember obscure TDs from before they were born

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Really? No mention of David "up the r@" Cullinane? He must be one of the best SF have to offer too if he gets the health spokesman position during the pandemic!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No, but it should still be a bit more than I hate X so X is a bad TD. Some of them are not that obscure if you look. Most of the TDs down the years in Dublin North East for example, including Michael Woods, a FF minister, were awful and Cosgrave was implicated in corruption as a councillor. If you look at other constituencies up to 2000 and beyond you'll find exactly the same thing; poor quality TDs who did very little for their constituents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Roderic O' Gorman, he was a very poor fingal Councillor, most people in D15 didn't vote for, I call him the accidental TD/minister.

He got through on the 5th count and because FG hate SF so much he found himself in a position that he's not fit for.

The ultimate 'career' politician.

Them hands never did a day in the real world

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I had never heard of Bernard Durkin until now... but the job of a member of any parliament is to represent the views of their electorate, so to enjoy the confidence of the voters for 40 years is a clear statement that he is doing the job he is meant to do. Whether he has the abilities to do another job or meeting your expectations is of no concern. As far as the people that count are concerned he is doing a very good job for them, most politicians don't survive that long.

I tend to agree albeit I suppose I'm at an age (54) we're I can recall quite some Shenanigans from former FFG TD'S that would make many current TD'S blush and indeed those who continually Bash SF TD'S for events that happened decades ago.

I'm no fan of SF incidently, but by a long mile some of their TDs have performed far better than the current shower of government TD'S, some of whom are utterly dreadful.

What have they actually achieved other than shouting though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Floppybits

hmmm Would you include Enda Kenny, Willie O'Dea, Michael Martin in these ultimate 'career' politicians? Another one would be Helen McEntee.

As for worse TD's surprised no one has mentioned Sean Haughey, How long has he been in the Dail and you barely hear anything from him? Happy to sit back on the back benches, if he evens turns up, and get the cash. Not even sure how active he is in the constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Some people just naming names as they're anti-government or a TD such as Varadkar may have an unappealing personality is not a reason to name a politician bad.

For me corrupt politicians like Liam Lawlor, Michael Lowry, Charles Haughey and Ray Burke have to be up there.

Also, I'd go right back and put Eamon de Valera up there for handing power in Ireland to the Catholic Church.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

When their elected TDs offered such wonders as the charity defrauder Wynne, gone on holidays for the election Ryan, bomb maker Ellis, twitter-history-eraser Cronin etc it doesn't leave much to be considered one of the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Don’t forget Wardy16 …got in on the surplus of O’Broin…

who?????

If it was any other party doing something similar, SF would massacre them, no pun intended. Imagine a FG TD being elected and doing a blueshirt salute! There would be no way they could not resign.

What does any opposition TD achieve, in Opposition, the same question about shouting could easily be asked of the Governments best ever Spokespeople, Alan Kelly and Aodhán Ó Ríordáin, indeed if you want to discuss shouting, I'd wager the decibels alot higher coming from the independent benches, albeit most of it incomprehensible.

Ultimately, wether its liked or not, SF have successfully raised far more issues that affect the lives of many ordinary peoples than government TD'S, who appear oblivious as to what is going on in the real world.

I believe the above one of many reasons, SF polling numbers high and I might add, their support base growing daily and not as is often perceived from a left wing looney cohort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Good God when you see them all in one list it really is utterly depressing.

Whats even more depressing is trying to work out how many tens of thousands of people actually voted for these people and in some cases more than once!

Advertisement