Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anyone with a heat pump moved to a day and night metre?

• 23-02-2022 4:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

Since heat pumps run at night too, I am surmissing that running costs must be reduced by installing a (non smart) day and night meter. I have not yet measured the Kw consumption of the heatpump at night. I must do that.

Hss anyone experience of moving to a day and night meter with a het pump and can comment on the savings?

Incidentally, our area has not had smart meters installed yet. I imagaine that with them you don't need a day and night metre. But you need a utllity company that supports smart metres - I know a couple of people who got smart metres installed 6 months ago as it was their turn but the smart metres are not used by the electric providing company.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Most people with a heat pump would (and should) have a day/night meter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭ec_pc

I moved from a 12 month old smart meter to a day/night meter in Jan 2021. We have a heat pump, solar panels and we got an EV in Jan this year.

I haven't analysed the heat pump savings specifically, but about 60% or our electricity usage from Jan 2021 to Jan 2022 was on the night rate, and during winter months I charge the solar batteries on night rate electricity and use it during the day. Often get to 4pm before consuming any day rate electricity.

You really need to do the maths on this one, everyones house and consumption patterns are different. But moving to a day/night meter with a good tariff is a no brainer. Also move provider every 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I've a heat pump and day/night meter.

I never did the calculations but yes it would represent a cost saving as the heating demand is higher at night

I mainly got it for the EVs parked out the front, but in general I try to run appliances at night to take advantage of the cost savings

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭boardtc

Thanks for info. I just agreed a new tarrif for .1852 with provider for my standard meter, having a day night meter would change to new non-EV tarrif of .2063 day / .099 night. Like you say it's time to do the maths, I need to take a metre reading for the next few days at 11pm and and 8am and try and get a feel for the percentage usage day and night.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Happyhouse22

I think I have asked this before, but just to confirm as the answer seems very unfair...

I have a smart meter - does that mean I cannot access the day/night tariffs? Seems unfair as they are much cheaper than smart rates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

non-EV tarrif of .2063 day / .099 night.

there are better tariffs than that though. I currently pay 17.62/8.71c inc vat for day/night with Bord Gáis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'm pretty sure you can get the EV tariff even without an EV. They're only really useful if 50% or more of your consumption is at night due to the higher day rate

Pop in to bonkers.ie and see if there's a better rate to be had

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yeah there's no checks.

But for the Energia ev rate last time I checked it was 60%+ to break even.

I've switched my parents to electric Ireland ev which just is a 300 euro Cashback.

Ok I did some analysis from the photos I took for a couple of weeks and got a bit of a surprise:

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

Those seem very high usage are they not, my usage in similar period is circ 16/18 units a day, but I don't have a heat pump or EV, so maybe that clouds it, but you are avraging say 50-60 units a day is €10/12 @ 20c a unit, which would he €300 a month ex vat and charges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Yep 20+MWh per year national average is probably around 4

Welcome to the cost of a heatpump. I knew how much electricity I used, the complete surprise was the high night percentage which warrants a comparison check on rates for night and day metre V current bill.

Advertisement