Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lean to Shed

Options
  • 22-02-2022 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Looking to put up a lean to Shed approx 30*20 or so.

Going DIY to same a few euro.

Will be used to hold a few weanlings, sheep lambing etc. Will be going with blockwirk walls approx 4-5 ft high.

One question is how best to stand the columns.

1) Dig holes and install rails and backfill with concrete.

2) Pour pad foundation and bolt columns to concrete. What type and size bolts will I need?

3) Install holding down bolt assemblies pour concrete and bolt columns?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

With you building the walls through the pillars I would.pour foundations and just deepen them at the place the pillars stand. Bolt them to the foundations with 16mm rawl bolts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭White Clover

I would dig holes and set the pillars in concrete. If you were using mass concrete poured walls, you would get away with bolting the pillars to a concrete base. In my opinion, a combination of bolted down pillars and block walls will result walls cracking due to movement of the pillars in high wind etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Have a look at S.101 on the dept of agri website. It shows how to do it. Make up a welded frame with 75mm angle and fix the 4 (or 6) M20 bolts to it. Set in concrete then. The problem with this then is lining up everything and keeping it level. Easier to do all this when the top of the concrete footings are all above ground.

Last time I did it here, I kept the top of the footings below ground to have more concrete above the base plates, but keeping rain water out of the holes was a pain.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,209 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

More or less as Patsy says. Dig your post holes 18-20'' deep. Put a 3-4'' conc base in each hole. Use a Laser level to verify lengths of RSJ'd needed. Get RSJ manufactured to there lengths with base plates. You then stand and bolt the RSJ to the pads and fill around with concrete and pour wall foundation's.

TBH I would consider mas concrete walls. It's easy to hire the 4X2 shutter pans and pour the complete wall after beams are in place. Make sure you have good drainage out of the shed to a sump. Straw is getting more and more expensive. It's becoming s prohibitive costs in many enterprises.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Strongly advise mass concrete walls. When all is added in, there’s not much in the difference price wise. Much better job and you can clean out with the tractor and bucket safer whereas you have to be much careful with blocked wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I'd be a fan of mass concrete walls as well. You don't need a foundation for them so there's a saving. If you want to extend the shed or alter the layout then loosen a few bolts and away you go.

Only thing is whether the supplier would be able to install them for the OP. I think OP is intending to build the walls themselves to keep costs down though. Might as well price them for a comparison.

Advertisement