Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kubota vs John Deere

• 21-02-2022 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭

Been looking at tractors now for a while in the circa 110HP range. I've narrowed it down to JD 5115M and a Kubota M5112.

The JD is about 25% more expensive than the Kubota and has a 4 month wait. So is the price differential just the brand? Is the JD really worth 25% more for the same power and much the same features?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 The middle inch

From what I have seen in Kubota, they make very good gear, and their tractors are well priced compared to the other main brands. I remember watching a review on youtube by an English dairy farmer CowfarmerDan who had an M5-111 with a loader for about 2 years at that stage. It had it's strengths and weaknesses, but one thing that I did not like on them was the rear linkage looked very light for a 110hp tractor. It looked much more like a CAT I than a CAT II linkage, and I wouldn't be too keen putting something too heavy on. I think from memory, he wasn't too pushed about the transmission either. The engines on them are generally very sound.

I think JD are very expensive for what you get, but I am not as up to date as I used be on the pricing, and it all depends on what the straight price is, and/or the cost to change if you are trading. I would have thought a four month lead time isn't too bad for a new tractor, but I can understand if you are buying one, you want it in before your busiest time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

was a similar situation a few years ago between a 100hp massey and a claas..massey was €7000 more..8 years on the massey is worth €10000+ more than the claas i was looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

I was about to say similar. If the Kubota is sufficient and you plan on driving it into the ground buy Kubota. If you plan on changing it in the next 5-15 years buy the jd.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Fine Day

John Deere, Massy and Newholland/Case are kinda the main brands out there really. Valtra McCormick are out there too and are good tractors also. Alot of it is down to the local dealer and the backup service provided. Kubota are around awhile now but never really took off. I am sure there are a good reliable machine. I'd stick with the main brands if I was changing. As the saying goes, the day you buy is the day you sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

If you can afford a John Deere, buy a John Deere.

Market leading resale, service backup & parts availability.

I believe it's the only tractor brand that manufacturers all its components in house, so part's availability is excellent, as is lead times on parts

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

What sort of work will you be doing with it? How close/good are the dealers? Price a few main wearing parts for both machines too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Bazzer007

I am a fan of Kubota and we run two older Deere's as well. Kubota make great engines, easy to maintain and are reliable. It's hard to beat the JD cab and power quad transmission, but I would be tempted to buy a newer Kubota over a JD. The Kubota powershift box is smooth. As mentioned, the backend of the older models were a tad light - the newer ones might be better. Kubota used to offer 0% finance, not sure if they still do. In fairness, they're massive in the US and are outselling the likes of Zetor and McCormick here. The dealer network is improving and I reckon they'll be a great seller yet. It's a hard choice op but an exciting one. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Cabs look very flimsy on some of the new Kubota's but I'd say mechanically they are bomb proof but so are most Tractors nowadays, it the niggly shite like the electrics that you have to be weary of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

How did you narrow it down to those two? Would there be value in a bigger kubota if some claim it may be light on the back end, could size up and still be more competitive than the JD?

Write up in the journal re Shaw losing the new holland dealership but they sell seem to be selling hard, perhaps in the politics there may be value there as well, unless you are off NH altogether

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

There is a theory that there's more money in parts than tractor sales for a dealer.maybe they will still have the parts.place near here still has parts and service even though they lost the dealership

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

Check out Warren of western truck and tractor repair on youtube. He is a very experienced mechanic and is not a fan of kubotas they give him lots of trouble. You would be much better of going with John Deere.

Advertisement